• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Swindon (3) v Rovers (1)

Match result

• Swindon

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Swindon (3) v Rovers (1)
Posted by Ian
County Ground
Tuesday, February 27, 2024 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, February 27, 2024 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
The season ticket thing was claimed last two seasons, in apocalyptic terms, reality has been hardly any change. Hendry is streets head of Merrie who held the position for a long time. Little comes through the middle now, especially with Walker keeping the shape off the ball rather like Harvey used to, class above.
Better game to watch tonight.
Fact is there are many players nowhere near EFL standard and one of them is on LFC books. RHM has clawed his way back in the EFL but it has been a rare and wild journey. Wonder where Ferrier is on the planet?

drwhoman

Yes I was thinking this. Lose at home to Sutton on Saturday and it’ll get even worse…
Sutton won at Notts County last night! I It is quite painful to have to suffer the current drivel being on offer and to have to rest on nostalgia for past happier times.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I do think Adkins has a lot to answer for that team selection tonight, especially as it sounded like some like Jennings were rested for this game. It would have made more sense in evening the restings out (if that's what they actually were) over this and the Forest Green game, rather than slinging a side together like Nigel appeared to here. after being almost full-strength at the weekend. In particular Wood as left-back would have done a better job on limiting Hepburn-Murphy's attacking forays. While it's well-known that Hawkes doesn't offer much protection to his full-back, neither Turnbull nor the left=sided midfielder Hendry? gave James Norris much help either.

It's hard to name any Rovers player who had a reasonable night, even McGee with some dreadful kicking and perhaps errors of judgement for the two Hepburn-Murphy goals. Probably Tom Davies the best of a bad bunch.

We have now lost 4/5 games, which is Dawes management form and badly need to stop the rot against an improving Sutton. After that games against Gillingham. Mansfield, Wrexham and Crawley all in the top-half and at least in contention for a play-off spot. It's not inconceivable that if we fail to do the business on Saturday, we go the whole of March without a win and if that does happen the spectre of dropping out of the FL comes back into focus.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought Apter was actually our best player (what a surprise) and Luke Norris was the best of the rest. At least he got a good sixty minutes tonight.

I agree that it was a complacent team selection, and did not respect the 292 that travelled. We still have a quarter of the season to play.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I thought Apter was actually our best player (what a surprise) and Luke Norris was the best of the rest. At least he got a good sixty minutes tonight.

I agree that it was a complacent team selection, and did not respect the 292 that travelled. We still have a quarter of the season to play.
Fair point on Apter, good goal, but he ought to be getting that well-worked free-kick from Hendry on target.
Luke Norris still a way off full fitness but improving steadily.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes the one real positive was 60 minutes for Norris who can hopefully get a comeback goal or two v sutton

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Nigel confirms post match that all those left out are fit and trained yesterday morning. I’m all for shuffling the pack but I think 5 changes was too many.

Tranmere have now lost more games this season (19) than the previous season (18) despite having played 11 less games.

Rovers have now lost the highest amount of games in the league (alongside Sutton & Forest Green)

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Nigel confirms post match that all those left out are fit and trained yesterday morning. I’m all for shuffling the pack but I think 5 changes was too many.

Tranmere have now lost more games this season (19) than the previous season (18) despite having played 11 less games.

Rovers have now lost the highest amount of games in the league (alongside Sutton & Forest Green)
At least the performances of those given a chance to start will have confirmed to all that they are not good enough need to leave at the end of the season

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
When the team was announced I assumed most of the changes were unenforced. The recent team have had a long run with only one or two occasional tweaks. That team has had its highs and lows, most recently lows. The other squad members have waited patiently for their chance and a few of them have had just the odd half hour or cameo, often when the game is already lost.

So, the team chosen was probably the result of trying out those who have been training well or just coming back from injury. Those left out will be due to poor form or the need for a rest.

I think Nigel has secretly written off this and is planning for 2024/25. He needs to use the remaining games to fully assess every member of his huge squad - who will be a contender next season, who he can let go and who is not yet ready but has potential.

That’s my logic, but my cynical side suggests that he was simply keeping his players fresh for next Saturday. Losing at Swindon he can get away with. But if we lose to Sutton, alarm bells may start ringing.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king

Is that credible? Jennings hasn't been rested at all, convention means you put him on the bench as an insurance. Subs have been sparingly used for weeks, Hawkes was third choice left wing on Saturday.
I suspect they were injured or he has gone mad. He could have rested two, put them on the bench and rotated again next Saturday. Is he implying he decided not to fully compete last night and is he intending on resting the other ever presents this Saturday?
Were Yarney and Dennis rested from their usual sitting positions? Doesn't make any sense.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
When the team was announced I assumed most of the changes were unenforced. The recent team have had a long run with only one or two occasional tweaks. That team has had its highs and lows, most recently lows. The other squad members have waited patiently for their chance and a few of them have had just the odd half hour or cameo, often when the game is already lost.

So, the team chosen was probably the result of trying out those who have been training well or just coming back from injury. Those left out will be due to poor form or the need for a rest.

I think Nigel has secretly written off this and is planning for 2024/25. He needs to use the remaining games to fully assess every member of his huge squad - who will be a contender next season, who he can let go and who is not yet ready but has potential.

That’s my logic, but my cynical side suggests that he was simply keeping his players fresh for next Saturday. Losing at Swindon he can get away with. But if we lose to Sutton, alarm bells may start ringing.
Makes some sense but not a compelling explanation. The cause of some players never getting a league debut, is not that they never got the chance and a great career was stymied at birth; but they weren't good enough to make the next step. Takes some imagination to think Apter has not exposed every left back at the club in full training matches and Norris more than most.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, I agree although we are only a couple of games off getting dragged back into the mire so he needs to be careful.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Is that credible? Jennings hasn't been rested at all, convention means you put him on the bench as an insurance. Subs have been sparingly used for weeks, Hawkes was third choice left wing on Saturday.
I suspect they were injured or he has gone mad. He could have rested two, put them on the bench and rotated again next Saturday. Is he implying he decided not to fully compete last night and is he intending on resting the other ever presents this Saturday?
Were Yarney and Dennis rested from their usual sitting positions? Doesn't make any sense.
Credible in that it’s come direct from the manager. Obviously Nigel could be telling some porky pies (I originally thought Morris and Jennings must have been injured as Kieran limped off v FGR and Connor got one hell of a whack when their lad was sent off).

As you say even if he wanted to give CJ a breather surely he would have made the bench last night. 11 goals and 5 assists shows how important he is.

Yes, I agree although we are only a couple of games off getting dragged back into the mire so he needs to be careful.
I don’t think Adkins would take his eye off the ball just yet so, despite our limitations, I don’t see us getting dragged back into the mire. I reckon the season will just peter out into nothing.

The concern for me is that, if we’re not careful, the boost which everyone got from Adkins‘ arrival could also peter out by the summer, which could present a risk for the club when it comes to season ticket renewals, regardless of how “thrilled” it says it is about pegging prices.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
I can understand the gloom but for three of the bottom four to catch us, they need a hell of a run and us to get hardly any more points. But if Nigel is to be taken at his word and he now rests Hendry, Davies and Turnbull on Saturday we could make a start on that!

ADD

Player
Norwood
I can understand the gloom but for three of the bottom four to catch us, they need a hell of a run and us to get hardly any more points. But if Nigel is to be taken at his word and he now rests Hendry, Davies and Turnbull on Saturday we could make a start on that!
Correct - fully expect Doncaster to overtake us given their recent form which would knock us down to 19th. For 4 of the other 5 below us to all overtake us would take some doing even if we lost all our remainder and re the bottom two we are we still effectively 15 and 14 points respectively ahead of Sutton and FGR given our far superior goal difference.
That said would be nice to win a couple of games in the run in...

ADD

Player
Norwood
Have finally had a chance to watch the highlights and how easily were we cut open for their goals? What McGee was doing for the second also I have no idea - coming out of the box so he can't use his hands??
Agree with others that Adkins strategy in resting five was strange and his subs also. Taylor finally given a few minutes but why not play him up front - he isn't a right sided midfielder and having him stuck to the bye line is kind of pointless.