• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Sutton v Rovers

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Almond looks a done deal, pretty much confirmed by S'Port.
That's disappointing, not because he's a bad player but reason we don't need him and it suggests that GB continues to have backing.
Didn't FGR sack their manager when they were second?
And poor Ronnie got the hoof twice, once for missing the playoffs by the thinnest of whiskers and the other for a two bob Yankee.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Instead of removing the manager throw money at the problem with a shed load of signings that further destabilises the squad. They never learn.

Just keep reading this when another signing is announced and we continue to struggle in the NL.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Obviously I didn't see any of the game but again it's clear we failed to perform. Injuries clearly didn't help but to be successful a team has to win matches against the odds. We managed that last season a few times, but not so far this term. I don't think we failed to score for three consecutive games either.

For me, Woking next Saturday is the last chance to put things right. After a bad start, our opponents have taken 7 points out of 9, but surely we'll need to beat this mediocre side if the home fans are to be placated. After that, we have Dag & Red, Gateshead and Wrexham in eight days. Not a prospect I would relish at the moment.

If Brabin does go, I wonder who we would get to replace him. Who is available? Who is affordable? Who would want it? It must be worrying that the Palioses have failed with three managers now, despite giving all of them excellent support.

Unsure how we lined up yesterday, was Norwood the lone striker or part of a front 3 with Kirby and Stephenson? As RLC and others have high-lighted. playing people out of position, like Mekki in central midfield again only makes things worse. What is the point of bringing another winger in Almond, when we haven't given the one we've got a proper chance??

If Woking are mediocre, what, on current form, does that make Tranmere? They have a manager who's clued up at this level and with Brabin in charge next weekend, I doubt we'll win. After that, the next set of fixtures are challenging and while we should get something from Gateshead 's trip to PP, not hopeful about the others with this regime.

It's a moot point the level of support the Palioi gave Rob Edwards, but Adams and Brabin have been fully backed. My fear is that they'll leave it too late to act and only remove Brabin when the automatic spot is long gone and it's touch and go as to whether we'll make the play-offs. A quarter of the games have been played already.

It is a difficult series of questions you pose in terms of replacements. Nigel Adkins is available, probably affordable, though would he drop to this level? He didn't do that well in his last job with the Blades. Others we'd consider are already in post. It's hard to see why Coleman at Accrington or Bentley at Morecambe would come, given they're doing well with L2 clubs. Other options are Dave Challinor at Fylde, but he hasn't been able to get them up, despite financial backing and Jim Harvey at Altrincham, who's sides play decent football, but with little success.

M

Mal

yes, root cause of lack of goals is not the forwards. Lack of midfield cres
Almond looks a done deal, pretty much confirmed by S'Port.
That's disappointing, not because he's a bad player but reason we don't need him and it suggests that GB continues to have backing.
Didn't FGR sack their manager when they were second?
And poor Ronnie got the hoof twice, once for missing the playoffs by the thinnest of whiskers and the other for a two bob Yankee.
even worse, as I understand it, he didn't bet, his family used his account.

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
It doesn't seem many weeks ago when we were being told by GB that we had a strong squad with competition for places but now we only have 11 at the required level. The guy comes out with such tosh I just can't bear to listen to him any more.
I feel so sorry for all those loyal fans who travel so far, many of whom don't appear to be overflowing in wealth to witness that absolutely shambolic, clueless display we saw yesterday.
Being a Rovers supporter you tend to take the ups and downs in your stride but the way we feel at the moment, being so disallushioned with the reality of our prospects of getting out of this league, it will take a lot to make the effort to travel to games again until something changes.
Feel very guilty sounding like a fair weather supporter but as well as loyalty there has to be some enjoyment and at least feel we are going forward. At Bromley we started the season with some promise, albeit with optimism that the cohesion of the team would develop but all of the three subsequent games I have seen since seem a step backwards. How many others will drift away?

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
To answer Boz on the lineup. They played as a three up front with Kirby on the left but tracking back a lot and Stephenson right and at first staying up most of the time. The latter did seem to be recognised as a threat from the outset and in his defence was marked closely and aggressively which I think took its toll on him. Before his injury it was hard to see much prospect of Jake Kirby doing much.
Young Mekki try's hard but was all at sea in the midfield role and had to carry an injury towards the end. As RLC reported the loanee Jones had a very difficult baptism and does nor seem anywhere near ready for first team football just yet. All shape disappeared: we seemed to loose composure and ideas totally - BIg Mac and Scott aside. It might have even been better to bring Richie Sutton on with his experience to right back pushing Lee Vaughan forward or have gone three at the back with wing backs to try to get a grip on the game in midfield.

Reactions: Boz

frenchrover

Player
aldo
And not before time, interim arrangements to follow. McNulty as stand-in player manager might do until permanent appointment made? Don't think Brabin's mate Cardin cuts the mustard for me.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
No, Cardin is in the Brabin mould. If a swift appointment can't be made, I'd try to persuade Shaun Garnett, who knows the players as well as anyone, although I don't he'd want the job or be given it.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I agree about Carden. He's been with GB a lot throughout his career so no thanks. I'm not sure about Garnett - yes a bit of a rovers legend but having watched him on the bench on Saturday when things needed changing, he contributed nothing.

Only one match of course but lets get someone fresh in.

Reactions: Ian

drwhoman

The first thing the new Manager must do is to seriously think about making McNulty captain. He has an inspirational quality greater than that of SJ.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Agreed drwhoman. I've never seen SJ leadership qualities on the pitch.

Give it to McNulty. When he talks people listen.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
I agree entirely with drwhoman and Ian, McNulty is a born leader, when Hughes was in grave danger of getting foolishly involved Brodie following the red card at York it was McNulty who stepped in and ensured that Hughes left the field without further aggravation....a captain's role if ever there was. Jennings nowhere to be seen.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Having seen the Sutton goal, our defence seemed at sixes and sevens again.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought Davies was largely at fault for the goal. He nearly cost us on another couple of occasions when he raced off his line but did not take the ball. The poorest game he has had for us, not that he was the only one.