• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Sutton v Rovers

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Have to be honest and admit I don't know much about Sutton, historic giant-killers. Promoted from the NL South, they started their campaign quite strongly, but have gone off the boil recently, losing at home to Braintree in midweek. They play on a plastic pitch, so hopefully we've done some preparation on that type of surface. Their reputation is as a rather niggly side, who make it hard for opponents to get into their stride.

With Connor Jennings and Jeff Hughes unavailable, the manager has some thinking to do. I suspect that he will keep change to a minimum, tempting though axing one of our mis-firing strike force might be to some; their experience is invaluable and their time will come again.

Assuming that GB doesn't tinker with the formation, it boils down to whether Harris or Kirby replaces Hughes. I suspect he will opt for the former, though my own preference would be for Kirby as the more attacking option and physically bigger. However neither Jay nor Jake have impressed to date.

Prediction: Moving the game for TV will reduce the numbers of SWA attending, though our SE based support should result in 300+ attending. We need to win to get back on track, but I can't decide between a scrappy victory or a draw.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Well if it's on TV it's not going to be great although we should have the ability to win this one so I'm going for a 2-0 win with Norwood back amongst the goals.

M

Mal

Not sure whether the "AstroTurf" will work in Tranmere's favour. I live in London at present and you would not believe how badly the rail network seems to be affected on Saturdays. Always some disruption. No idea if I can get there easily as different rail sites say different things. One route takes so long I may as well come back and watch it at Prenton Park....

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As Ian says very rarely do we play well in front of the cameras and no doubt it'll be a big day for Sutton who haven't started the season too badly at all. Lets hope their is an improvement after our last appearance where an uninspired display saw us beat Guiseley. Sutton on their plastic pitch will be more of a threat you would expect.

Would defeat be disastrous? Not quite but the alarm bells after the Lincoln game would be ringing a bit louder. It would be a real shame after a good performance at York and GB perhaps trying to get onside with the fans a bit more by praising the SWA in spades.

Expect Stephenson to retain his place and Harris to come in for Hughes. That means of course a possible lack of creativity from midfield but as we're away, I expect GBs priority as ever will be to keep us solid and hope our attacking trio can come up with the goods and put a chance or two away.

Prediction: defences to come out on top with a 0-0 score line. Wouldn't be a total shock given our measly 12 goals (I think) in 10 league games so far this season.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
badly in need of a win and to start scoring more goals, think we will sneak a win 1 0 with cook scoring

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Like Boz, all I really know about Sutton is that they beat Coventry in the FA Cup in 1989, the last non-league team to knock out a First Division side until Luton defeated Norwich a couple of years ago. Like a number sides at this level, Sutton seem wildly inconsistent. Their recent form is awful, with four defeats in five matches, yet their one victory in that spell came against Dagenham. I don't think the 3G pitch will present us with too many problems as artificial surfaces tend to suit better footballing sides. The roughhouse tactics employed by the hosts in some earlier games (notably at Lincoln, who they beat convincingly) might be more of an issue.

In terms of selection, I think Harris will replace Hughes in a straight swap. If we approach the match as we did on Tuesday night I don't think the loss of Hughes is necessarily disastrous as Maynard and Jennings also played quite creatively at York. We have to start the game on the front foot however.

I think there will be 2-300 Rovers fans present and I fancy us to get the three points, with Darren Stephenson scoring his first goal for the club. I will be up with the lark to attend this one myself; just hope Southern Trains don't prevent me from getting there.

M

Mal

It looks like the direct trains from st Pancras or Blackfriars are running ok. I checked online. So unless some rain falls on a track overnight or the sun is shining too brightly, they should be running to schedule.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Enjoy the game RLC

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Really sorry I can't be there. I agree that Harris for Hughes is the most obvious choice. I don't see many other options. I hope GB resists the temptation to drop one of the main strikers and play Ethan Jones. I'm sure Shrewsbury won't be happy unless their man sees plenty of action. However, I would like to see him brought on if our goal drought continues.

I'm hoping Ian is right but I'd take any win. If we are to top this league we need to win matches against midtable sides, as Sutton appear to be. Another defeat or draw would slip us further down the table and would reinforce doubts.

Last edited:
M

Mal

ground couldn't be nearer to the station. Managed to find a greasy spoon cafe at bottom of the road.

Player
Manager
John King
Sadly still stuck on the train mal. I don't understand the decision to drop cook. We played well at York, the only necessary change was to bring Harris in.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
This is not looking good.

Colin K

Player
Ryan Taylor
How unfit do our players look? Half of the team are still carrying too much weight. Cook's shirt was bulging the amount his belly was sticking out! Not enough pace and drive in this team...we look outpaced everywhere!

Player
Manager
John King
If palios does not get rid of brabin after that shambles I seriously doubt his intelligence. That was shameful, an embarrassment to our club.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It's fair to say with the current setup we aren't going anywhere this season. Just awful.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Emotions will run high straight after the whistle and perhaps I shouldn't put my head over the parapet so soon.
Atrocious.
Don't let the injuries create a smokescreen.
Those first five games, against very much lesser lights, have hidden the cracks.
Their manager has just said on BT that he doesn't get paid for his job.
Discuss!

M

Mal

train not till 14:40 so have nipped into the pub to drown my sorrows with a quick half. That was the worst I have seen since frank Worthington game at orient. That isn't a team. A bunch of individuals who would play well in another team. Not one player had anything near an adequate game. Brabin can pick great chess pieces which he uses to play draughts.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
What an abject display, this team, if team is the right word for 11 individual players, is totally lacking in confidence and self-belief. I'm afraid Brabin has lost the dressing room and it is difficult to see this set of players really wanting to play for him again. His public berating of Norwood last week, his dropping of Cook to the bench, his choice of replacements for C.Jennings and Cook today indicate to me his total lack of man-management. He will no doubt blame the injuries today but the truth of the matter is that this set of players showed no real interest or desire to win this match today, I cannot remember one single effort on goal in the second half, their keeper will not have an easier game all season.
The Palioi made a mistake keeping Brabin in place at the end of last season,(this being the first occasion he has been retained for a second season with the same club in his managerial career), but they must accept this failing and act now. Brabin is not the manager we need to get our club back into the Football League and if the Palioi cannot see that now then we are doomed to remain in non-League football for a long time. By 5.00pm this evening we could be out of the play-off positions after winning just 1 point out of a possible 12 in the last 4 games....this is totally unacceptable and Brabin must go and go now.