• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Steve Davies to Leeds?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Just wondered what everyone thinks about this? Steve is a player who divides opinion on these boards. Personally thought he'd improved from last season in the Leeds game, plus he's our only left-sided attacking player so would be sorry if it happens. It also would seem that Leeds are unlikely to go up with the points deduction in place, so he'd be better off staying at Rovers for his career development.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Considering we are 12 points better off than Leeds I find it strange to hear that he would be interested in a move to Leeds. I think he is a good prospect but he still has a long way to go. Against Leeds I thought he was decent as he was against Stockport. Then when we played Gillingham I personally didn't think he did much until he scored and after that he was good. I would rather keep him but if he wants to go we can't afford to risk him leaving for nowt but compensation at the end of his contract.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Davies has come on so much, clearly the manager and coaches are doing something right. Although perhaps more than anything he's another year older now, and the added strength and belief that can bring. Thinking back just a couple of seasons ago and he was this gangly, badly-coordinated lad and now he looks every bit a professional footballer. I can understand fully why other clubs are starting to sit up and notice him.

We should get the lad a contract extension and do our best to keep hold of him. If some club makes a big-money offer then it comes down to a question of ambition. We've always been a selling club with our best players moving on, so we've not made leaps up the leagues. I'd love it if we could put two fingers up to all offers for good young players, kick on and win the league.

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
I'd be gutted if Davies went.

He does look much improved from last season, he showed against Leeds that he is a useful asset on the left and I think gives us great balance in the team with Shukes performing so well down the right. His goal against Gillingham showed that he also has the capability to cut inside and find the target.

Just hope the lad isn't enticed away by promises of big money and a 'famous' club.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.
He been fairly anonymous over the last season or two, and then he plays three games and a few friendlies and everyone is making him the next big thing.

I'd agree he's putting in good performances, but I don't think we should be getting carried away. His goal against Gillingham was a cracker but surely he needs to do this throughout the season before we all start getting carried away.

Let's look back on this thread in January and see if opinion has changed at all.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I did say he divided opinions! :lol:

It does look like he's heading in the right direction, contrast that with Zola, who we've had for about 4 years now, yet doesn't seem to have made any significant inprovement in that time.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Just been reading some more up-to-date reports which suggest Ronnie is doing everything in his power to resist any moves to steal Davies from us. If true that's excellent news and sets out the stall for the coming season.

Come on you white boys!

Ally

Player
Aldo
Just seen on the BBC website we've rejected a third bid for Davies from Leeds. They seem very keen, and I'd be surprised if we managed to keep hold of him. I'd like to see him stay, he's only 19 and should improve further, so it would be a shame to let him go a this stage in the season. If he does go, we must replace him with a GENUINE left-sided midfielder. Not sure who's available at the moment but I've heard of this lad called Ryan Giggs who has a decent left foot. =P~

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Agreed Ally, and yes, a third bid has been made and rejected. Worringly though, the lads contract will run out soon, and I have this feeling he's stalling until he's a free agent. I still don't quite know what all the fuss is about, but knowing he's been stalling on a new deal for a few months makes me thing he'll be on his way soon..

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Yes, I'm sure he wants to go and Ronnie seems resigned to selling him. I can't see us getting much. They've got no money. Maybe £200k at most with I hope an appearance/international/sell-on clause.

However, I can't see the attraction of going to Leeds. He'd be better off hanging on, building his reputation and waiting to become a free agent. By then, I expect he'd have a better choice of clubs (including hopeflly staying with Rovers in the Championship!!)

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
As long as he goes to an English club at the end of his contract we get a fee for him... although obviously not as much as we may get now.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Well, the deadline is tonight for clubs signing players, so I wonder if there will be any developments today? I hope we don't get left in the situation where everyone is waiting on a decision from Davies, which then doesn't give Ronnie enough time to find a replacement. I think he's got a few players lined up as loanees..

Ally

Player
Aldo
I heard from a Leeds fan last night that the third bid we rejected was around ?750,000!! Surely this can't be true?! We can't turn down offers like this can we?

Mind you, if Kenwynne Jones costs ?6million :-&, then maybe we could get some decent cash for Davies....

Watch this space, I reckon they'll agree a fee today.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
You could be right mate, but where in the hell did Leeds get 750k from? I honestly can't believe that, plus I dont think he's worth that dirty cash anyway. :whistle:

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
I suspect that number Ally's Leed's fan gave could have been a bit of a 'Simonsen goes for 3.3m' kind of reporting. Wouldn't surprise me if the bid was more like 600,000 total depending on 30+ appearances and leeds getting promoted, and I'd guess the up front would have been 200,000. I do still have my fingers crossed in the hope that our favourite mong will still be on the books tomorrow, but I'm not too worried since the last I heard is that Davies has travelled down to Yeovil with the team today, and it's a LONG way from Yeovil to Leeds to sign on a dotted line in time.

Player
Goodison
let them have him, hes useless, so we can but a decent left winger. Although we will have to wait for January now:-(

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Do you want to edit that comment quickly??? :lol: Sounded like he had a good performance today and would have got another one or two but for some good goalkeeping.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Made me laugh that comment. A member who chooses to calls himself "roverstillidie" calling our best young prospect useless and wanting him offloaded. Things like that do make me chuckle.