• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Shots v Rovers

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A trip to Hampshire up next for Rovers to face Aldershot. The hosts are in decent form themselves, having won the last three games. Our last visit here saw a 1-2 FA Cup replay win in the Parry era, a repeat of that scoreline would be nice.

The Shots have recently recruited Laurie Pavey and Ross Lafayette on loan to add firepower to existing top scorer Charlie Walker. They also have Sean McGinty on their books, who played a couple of games for Rovers on loan from Man Utd before he skipped training and was sent back.

The reverse fixture saw the Shots take an early lead and be on top for the first half, before a defensive mix-up and clinical finish brought us level close to h/t. The second half was much better as Rovers ended up comfortable winners. With play-off rivals all having games where they look capable of picking up points, Rovers must do likewise.

Team selection will be interesting. Jennings banned, so if we adopt a similar formation, presume Hughes will be moved into the middle. Mekki is now fit and could be restored to the lineup against a former club. Alternatively, new signing Higdon could go straight into the side, though preferably as part of a front two rather than move Norwood out wide.

There is expectation of a good away turnout, though I'd be surprised if it tops 500. Hopefully they'll see a win.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Given our recent form and despite Jenno missing out, as we're away from home I'm sure GB will stick with 4-5-1.
This won't be an easy game as Shots are on a mini run as Boz suggests and Walker is a goal threat at this level.

One option is:
Davies
Vaughan/McNulty/Ihikwe/Ridehalgh
Mekki/Harris/Maynard/Hughes
GTF
Norwood

Other options are to bring Hill back and play Ridehalgh left mid and perhaps play Hughes in a 5 man midfield with Maynard the most advanced and behind Norwood. But can't see GB leaving out GTF. Failing that he may start with Higdon up top and Norwood just off as with his energy he could drop in and help out in midfield if required. Again though if all fit I suspect Mekki, Hughes & GTF to all start.

Prediction: a hard earned point.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Think we will just about nick this going for a 2 1 win for us to keep us in the play off places

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Although Aldershot are in decent form, they looked a poor outfit at Prenton Park and this is the sort of game against fair-to-middling opposition that we have to win if we are to make the play-offs. With some tricky games to come in the near future, a draw would not be a good result.

I think we will line up as Sparky suggests. While I have been critical of him at times this season (like many others) Jenno has been playing well recently and I think we will miss him on Saturday, and certainly against Cheltenham. Maynard has qualities of his own but he is not nearly as effective on the ball or in giving protection to the back four as Jennings. It will be interesting to see how Brabin manages Higdon in the next few weeks, given that he is unlikely to walk straight into the team.

I would expect a Rovers turnout of over 400 but, like Boz, I think some of the numbers being bandied about are a bit optimistic, although I would be happy to be proved wrong. Hopefully the travelling SWA will witness another vital victory.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Unclear if Jennings is banned after all.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Can't get the link to work. No mention on o/s or Jennings' Echo article and GB only mentions Hogan as being unavailable. Surely we couldn't be so stupid as to field an ineligible player...

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think they would know about Jennings.. Going for a win here. Team is playing reasonably well with the defence looking solid and confidence is high.

I think Higden has a few weeks of getting himself match fit before we see him as he's not played for a while.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Ohh, OK, well Higden seems to be playing in a 442. Nice to see :)

Player
Manager
John King
Ohh, OK, well Higden seems to be playing in a 442. Nice to see :)
No, he is playing as a lone striker in a 451 and so far we have been awful. Norwood stuck out wide and ineffective. Too many changes to a winning team.

Player
Manager
John King
A disjointed, disappointing performance from Rovers. I was happy with the final score today, as a point was the most we deserved.

There was too much tinkering with personnel and formations today. As some of us had feared, Higden went straight into the side in a lone striker role, despite an obvious lack of fitness, and Norwood was shunted out of position. With Jennings already out of the side, and Mekki apparently still injured, the starting line up and tactics were pretty much unrecognisable from recent weeks and the performance suffered as a result. It is because of unenforced changes like the ones we saw today that so many of the SWA still have reservations about Brabin, despite our recent form.

In the first half we dominated for thirty minutes but, aside from a couple of good runs and crosses from the lively Mackreth, did not seriously threaten their goal and lacked quality in the final third. Higden's hold-up play was poor and we got drawn into too many aimless punts in his direction. With Norwood out wide and anonymous, there was no threat in behind and none of the spark and energy up front that we have had recently. After we had huffed and puffed for half an hour, Aldershot grew in confidence and were probably the slightly better side for the remainder of the game, certainly in terms of the number of chances created.

In the second half we switched to 4-4-2, with Higden's link-up play improving slightly and Norwood becoming more involved. However, the tactical switch created new problems, as gaps appeared in midfield and Aldershot were seemingly able to counter attack us at will, getting in on our back four (who defended well) far too easily. So, in place of the system and approach that has been successful in the last six weeks, we tried two others, neither of which worked.

Individually, Mackreth looked sharp, Harris was very good and McNulty was imperious once again. However, we clearly missed both Jennings and Mekki, a case of not fully appreciating what certain players give you until they are absent.

Aldershot played with spirit and were one of the better sides we have faced in recent weeks and, on the face of it, a point is a decent result. However, the tactical problems today suggest we could be in for another period of stuttering form, unless Brabin sends Higden away to improve his fitness before integrating him into the team. Certainly, we will have to play far better than we did today if we are to get anything against Cheltenham, and with Dover and Braintree maintaining the pressure, we could really do with three points from that game now.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Thanks RLC. It was certainly a surprise to see hin the team as I'm sure he's a few weeks off getting match fit. I assumed he had the two strikers up front to start but should have known he'd put Norwood on the wing. How many times does he have to do this to know it doesn't work?

You have to wonder if we'd have come away with three points if he hadn't have changed things around.
Didn't sound like a great game at all.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Thanks RLC. Although only one game it is a concern that GB will somehow want to keep Higdon in the starting 11, at the expense of playing to Norwoods strengths and our recent good form. Higdon is a big guy anyway and as he hadn't played for at least a month, it was a surprise he started, even if he has been saying his fitness is fine.

As a few commented, myself included, a good signing on paper and a proven goalscorer but if 1) he has fitness issues and 2) it upsets a system that has been working of late, then surely he should be on the bench. Especially when the end of the season will soon be upon us and we want to retain a play off place. My concern when he signed was whether GB effectively promised him a place in the side to sign him. You wonder what Norwood thinks having to track back etc. As I said previously, if it ain't broke...

If we end up with McNulty, GTF & Higdon in the side at the same time, there is a real lack of pace. Albeit Big Mac has impressed of late.

Footnote: a goal for Margetts yesterday and also another striker who we let go recently....

Player
Manager
John King
If we end up with McNulty, GTF & Higdon in the side at the same time, there is a real lack of pace. Albeit Big Mac has impressed of late.

In fairness to Brabin, with Mackreth, Vaughan and the recalled Ridehalgh in the side, we do have a bit more pace and energy than earlier in the season. However, I agree completely regarding Higdon and if he has been promised a starting role, you have to wonder why the same was not offered to Mangan when he was here (not that it would necessarily be right in either case). Basically, I think Higdon should be making cameo appearances from the bench and playing reserve games until he is in better shape.

M

Mal

Who'd be a manager ?
We need a collection of expert fans as they could do a lot better than whoever is in charge.

Player
Manager
John King
Who'd be a manager ?
We need a collection of expert fans as they could do a lot better than whoever is in charge.

The concept of a fan forum (if you were not aware) is to discuss performances and tactics. If you think it is tripe, don't read it.

Reactions: Boz

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
By the sounds of it a not very entertaining game but one which earlier in the season we may well have lost, a useful point which will look even better if we can beat Cheltenham next week

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Possibly a useful point but at this stage of the season, we need to be looking at picking up maximum points from teams in mid table if we are to stay in the playoffs especially with our home record.

RLC, agree with the cameo performances for Higdon until fit. I think playing an unfit striker and having Norwood out wide is asking for trouble.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thanks for the report, RLC.

I agree with the consensus that Higdon shouldn't have started until match fit. Surprised that Mekki wasn't given any game time, he appears to offer more than Mackreth, while Kirby again doesn't get a look-in.

Very hard to tell if this is a good point or points dropped. Dover, a rival for a play-off spot had a thumping win, while Eastleigh have the resources to loan in players to plug any gaps in their squad. Think we need to take it step by step, but probably need a minimum of four points from the next couple of games.