• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Wrexham

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Following on from Ian's comment, I think it is massively important that the fans stay with Mellon if things don't turn round immediately. We need to create a positive atmosphere to give him the best chance of succeeding.

Reactions: Ian

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree with Ian and RLC and while I'm hoping for a new boss bounce, it's unlikely that MM can bring about an immediate transformation. However, there is a fair amount of goodwill towards Mickey, he applauded the home support when Shrewsbury last visited for example. Brabin made no effort to get the fans on his side, which contributed to his demise.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Relatively uneventful at h/t, Tollitt's run and shot against the bar the closest to a goal. We do seem vulnerable down the right side though.

TRFCJason

Player
John Aldridge
First half complete, so far been a better game to watch

Player
Manager
John King
Not a classic performance but a deserved victory for Rovers against a woeful Wrexham team. Without being scintillating we had the better chances and other than the header off the line from Harris, I don't remember Wrexham creating anything.

The lack of creativity in midfield was a problem for us, as it is generally is when Harris and Jennings play together and we were always looking for a spark from Tollitt or a bit of link up play from Cook to create something. However, the back four were excellent, with Tollitt and Duggan probably the best of the other outfield players. Tactically, it was interesting that Mellon reacted quickly to put Osbourne on and protect Ridehalgh when Powell started to cause us problems down our left hand side; it was a tactical switch Brabin would never have made and snuffed out Wrexham's threat, with Rovers seeing the game out relatively comfortably in the end.

A disappointing crowd, although the kick off time, TV coverage and low visitor numbers all played a part. Hopefully some of the stayaways will crawl back in the weeks ahead.

A vital victory which keeps us in touch at the top, but we desperately need the missing players back. I think we might have struggled with today's line up against one of the better sides.

Man of the match Steve McNulty.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Certainly better than Tues night. Jennings made a difference coming back into the side. All the young lads had decent games. Defence pretty solid throughout against a rather flat Wrexham side.

Still felt were were a little light up front but was nice to keep a clean sheet and get a couple of goals.

Great start for Micky.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Tactically, it was interesting that Mellon reacted quickly to switch to 4-4-2 and put Osbourne on when Powell started to cause us problems down our left hand side; it was a tactical switch Brabin would never have made and snuffed out threat, with Rovers seeing the game out relatively comfortably in the end.
Excellent point.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I didn't think that Wrexham were that much worse than Gateshead, but the return of Ihiekwe and Jennings meant Rovers were significantly stronger. Presumably Carden selected the starting-line up, with Kirby playing in a front three. The early stages were scrappy, but Rovers had the better chances, with a run and shot from Tollit the closest to a goal. Second half started as poorly as the first, but again, Rovers gradually gained control. Just after Stephenson had replaced Kirby, Rovers took the lead. A Ridehalgh free-kick found Sutton, whose powerful header saw the Wrexham central defender impede his keeper and the ball end in the back of the net. Wrexham seemed to have a spell of possession after this, an old failing of defending too deep and conceding ground in midfield from Rovers. However, a late break, set up by substitute Osborne was well-finished from Andy Cook to give a comfortable win.

Most players had reasonable games; Ihky and McNulty both strong in central defence and would agree with RLCs nomination for Steve as MoM, given the way he moved forward and was orchestrating play from almost a midfield position as well as the defensive responsibilities. Sutton was a bit patchy, some weak clearances and he didn't link as well with Duggan on the right as Ridehalgh and Tollit managed on the left. Kirby had his best game of the season deployed up front. He shies away from full-blooded challenges for the ball, but a little surprised he was taken off, as Tollit faded a bit after a good first half. Cook was frequently sandwiched by a pair of Wrexham defenders, with little protection from the referee, so good to see him get on the score-sheet

Disappointing crowd, regardless of other factors, time to look again at the price-hike for pay on the day. A fair bit of work to do for MM, but it was good to see the new boss encouraging and advising from the touchline rather than just berating the officials.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
What a difference a few days make.
No boos at the end, fans staying to applaud and players and manager applauding fans.
I'm far too old to be called "rose tinted glasses" but I think that was a great display today given recent form.
As much as he is sometimes bemoaned, Jenno showed why we struggle when he's not there.
Those two runs from Tollitt were superb. Nothing frightens a defence more than pace with that degree of control.
Surprised though that one of theirs didn't take the hit and bring him down.
Decent, but not great turnout by their lot and for the most part they were very quiet. They must have known that their team was likely to struggle even given our own recent form.
Boz, you must see a different Kirby to me mate. He was better than Tuesday but that doesn't say much. He never looks like he's really pulling his tripe out.
Still to see the best of Stephenson. He's looking better each time he comes on. A real handful for them when he replaced Kirby.
MOM? The pigeon in second half who must have been a pinball wizard!
Seriously, Macca or Jenno for me.

Player
Manager
John King
I agree with Boz that Kirby worked hard and generally did ok; he looks much better up front than out wide. However, he is never going to be any more than a squad player and we desperately need Norwood back to give Cook some assistance.

Wrexham were not much worse than Gateshead, but the Heed were dreadful themselves (which says a lot about our performance on Tuesday).

drwhoman

Good win. Pleased to hear MM was communicating with and encouraging the team, Let us hope that communication generally is better. Still no idea what the story is with Norwood and Vaughan. If fit they should be playing. Personal issues maybe? I doubt if Mickey needs any PR training.. If he does just watch Klopp!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Cowshed Kid, I recognise Kirby's limitations, highlighting one in my initial post-match comments. However, he can be a decent enough squad player at this level and put in a shift today.

Drwhoman, suspect the line-up for today was not MM's. Hopefully the new boss will be open-minded about Vaughan, as this game illustrated some of the difficulties Ritchie Sutton has filling in at right-back.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Sutton is actually quite decent as a defender but if your asking him to drive forward forget it. Distribution is poor and vision isn't great whereas Vaughan is better in this regard.

iandavid59

I thought Suttons distribution was awful especially in the first half but improved somewhat in the second half. I thought Kirby did well in the first half especially with his back to goal he linked the play well and was unfortunate with a shot well saved by the keeper. I would next week revert back to the 451 433 formation with Maynard returning to link up with Jenno and Harris and play Norwood and Kirby or Tollitt next to Cook and also bring back Hughes at left back if he has served his 6 match ban.

Player
Manager
John King
As Ian David says, it will be interesting to see what formation Micky adopts next week given our surfeit of midfielders. I think Mellon might actually go for a 3-5-2 / 5-3-2 formation once everybody is available. I don't think Hughes is back until the Solihull game, and I personally think he is completely wasted at left back.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Good win. Pleased to hear MM was communicating with and encouraging the team, Let us hope that communication generally is better. Still no idea what the story is with Norwood and Vaughan. If fit they should be playing. Personal issues maybe? I doubt if Mickey needs any PR training.. If he does just watch Klopp!

Norwood injured and Vaughan left out as has been fairly poor recently

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
MM is quite fond of 3 at the back, but unless you play Maynard there, which would be using RLCs term a waste, we haven't currently the squad to suit that. Don't know which of our loanees are available for the Cup game, possibly only Jones, so it may be experimentation is deferred until we've got most of the squad available. `

Player
Manager
John King
When everybody is fit, you could play Big Mac, Sutton and Ihiekwe as three centre backs, Vaughan / Duggan and Ridehalgh as wing backs. That would suit Vaughan who is better going forward than defending, and would also make it easier to accommodate Hughes, C Jennings and Maynard in the same team, while keeping Cook and Norwood up front.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree, but at any given point one of those 3 may be injured/suspended. Gumbs,Maynard, at a push Ridehalgh could fill in, but perhaps we need another central defender if following that route. Brabin had enough central defenders last season to try it, but never did.