• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Swindon

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Swindon

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Swindon
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Monday, April 10, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Monday, April 10, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Who is going will we get a goal with lane and Saunders both looking like being out and Merrie to it's gonna be a flakey team I just don't know how we are gonna score sorry guys 0-1

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm going to go for a 0-0 stalemate nothing to play for match.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I will go for a draw 1 1 Hemmings for us Austin for them

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It is 23rd v 24th in the form table. so sure to be a Bank Holiday thriller. :D

I would like us to return to a 442 to get the best out of Hawkes and the full backs. However, there is no way Dawes will use the formation favoured by Mellon, so I hope he sticks with the diamond rather than going for the 4231 which was hopeless in the second half at Carlisle. There are obviously a few injury doubts, with Merrie and Hemmings limping off on Friday, so perhaps a recall for O'Connor or a first start for Hoti.

Despite Swindon's poor form, Charlie Austin has been a good signing for them, as has Jonny Williams. It is strange that other clubs seem to get the best out of old stagers, whereas it is a strategy that rarely works for us.

This is surely a reasonable opportunity to pick up three points.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As ever I’m looking forward to it but fear it could be a bore draw given there is nothing to play for. Personally I think it could be worth giving OConnor a game at right back given cogley will be on his way but that may depend on whether merrie is fit. It’d also be interesting if we can see what Hoti is like.

Charlie Austin is just the sort of goal poacher we’ve been missing Since vaughan retired

Player
Manager
John King
Hepburn-Murphy could start for the visitors.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Couldn't see a great deal of difference between the first and second half formations at Carlisle. We defended a bit better in the second half and had a couple of chances, but wouldn't link the former to formation change.

Potentially down to being unable to fill the bench again, if all of Merrie Saunders and Hemmings are out. Probably 4 diamond 2 again to start, with O'Connor coming into midfield and one of Burton/Taylor up with Mumbongo up front, if all the trio are absent.

Wonder how many will show up. Given how obliging Rovers have been to out of form opponents recently, can't see beyond a Swindon victory. Such a difference to last season and the performance to mark young Nate's passing.

Player
Manager
John King
Couldn't see a great deal of difference between the first and second half formations at Carlisle. We defended a bit better in the second half and had a couple of chances, but wouldn't link the former to formation change.
Carlisle sat back and went through the motions in the second half, but we barely laid a glove on them, at least until Chalmers came on. At least in the first half we had some reasonable passing movements.

Playing Mumbongo as a lone striker will never work.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Carlisle sat back and went through the motions in the second half, but we barely laid a glove on them, at least until Chalmers came on. At least in the first half we had some reasonable passing movements.

Playing Mumbongo as a lone striker will never work.
Couldn't be sure exactly what the formation was second half. I'd assumed 433 with Hemmings and Saunders remaining on initially. Agree Mumbongo doesn't work as a lone striker.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It would be nice if Dawes tried something different but I'm probably clutching at straws. I would like to see a reasonably competitive Rovers side at home if possible.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I fancy an entertaining 1-1 or 2-2. We have scored in 16 of our 20 home games this season so I think @ALDO MUSSY assumption of a nil is a bit bleak. Similarly @Sparky "nothing to play for" and "shackles off nothing to lose " are 2 sides of the same coin. We live in hope! I'm actually quite looking forward to seeing Charlie Austin in action. You can call me an optimist if it finishes 0-1/2/3 etc !

Reactions: Boz

ADD

Player
Norwood
After Friday which was so poor difficult to get excited about this one. If Hemmings is out as well as Saunders, which I haven't seen anything on other than he had a tight calf, then I assume it will be Burton rather than Taylor alongside Mumbongo. Merrie unlikely so yes O'Connor will start. Chalmers showed desire at least on Friday when he came on so I think he may start. Will we see the lesser spotted Turner- Cooke perhaps? Who knows frankly? I also said in the Carlisle thread that we should play the kids such as Stratulis if we can recall him etc. and someone said we have to respect for the other teams well that is true but they at least would show desire which is first and foremost what we expect.
Going against my better judgement for a score draw.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
If there’s any sense of “nothing to play for”, I’d be making the players take a look around the crowd at those who’ve paid their hard-earned cash to continue to watch and support the team. There’s always something to play for, whether that’s pride, the moral stance of commitment and work ethic or just purely from a selfish, egotistical perspective of getting regular game time or even putting yourself in the shop window. I don’t recollect a game where I’ve felt the team didn’t try or give of their best; seen plenty of games where their best simply wasn’t good enough, the plan of work didn’t appear appropriate for the circumstances, or individual errors scuppered plans that may well have worked.
I’d be happy with a performance where we concede no soft goals and create a few chances ourselves, that could even lead to a 0-0 result (now, that’s not setting the bar too high for a home game……or is it!). I often read about fans expectations being too high, in reality that’s not always the case and sometimes we can be easily pleased.
It is difficult to get excited about the game but, all the same, I’ll be there and interested in what transpires, hoping to exceed my 0-0 baseline; who knows, come 4.45pm (or thereabouts) I might have thoroughly enjoyed the bank holiday occasion and be eulogising about it later with the rest of us as we wallow in a rare moment of satisfaction.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
ADD, it was me who mentioned respect to other teams. This is most important when the opponent has something to play for. Certainly the game at Crawley and probably the season ender v Northampton fall into that category. Broadly agree with Goody’s thoughts on “nothing to play for”

Stratulis doesn’t seem to be even getting off the bench at Connah’s Quay now. It’s a shame we won’t get to see him in action here, as pre-injury he was delivering some decent set-pieces and would be interesting to see how he fared at a higher level.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Given he was fairly angry after Carlisle it’ll be interesting whether Dawes makes any drastic changes such as dropping cogley who may already have a move lined up. Any changes will depend on injuries of course but Dawes may want to go out with a bang and try and make a point.

I could copy and paste the following from so many threads this season - once again we’re up against a team in poor form. Swindon have lost their last 3 and not won in 6. You know what that means…..

Swindon have similar issues to us. Whereas we were two points off the top seven last season and are now miles away, the robins an actually finished in the play offs in 21/22. Their changes in manager won’t have helped but their fans must be wondering how things have gone so badly wrong.

Player
Manager
John King
Given he was fairly angry after Carlisle it’ll be interesting whether Dawes makes any drastic changes such as dropping cogley
I would prefer it if he gave Cogley some license to get forward. Such a waste of a player who was our strongest performer in the first half of the season.

I appreciate Cogley's mind might be elsewhere now, and he has particularly suffered from Morris's absence, but it seems crazy to me that we play a system that restricts him to such an extent.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While I agree that the diamond doesn’t bring out the best in Cogley, neither does Morris’ absence, it did seem that even with Kieron in the team and a 442 under Micky, his form dipped after January. Some suggestion he’ll be going to notlob, which I hope is inaccurate.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
OK how about this 4-0 to the mighty whites if we do that I will buy you a pint and make you a burger. Have good time at the match today guys and enjoy your cheap food ooops not so cheap for the fans

Reactions: Ian

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
While I agree that the diamond doesn’t bring out the best in Cogley, neither does Morris’ absence, it did seem that even with Kieron in the team and a 442 under Micky, his form dipped after January. Some suggestion he’ll be going to notlob, which I hope is inaccurate.
Cogleys nexts move will be interesting. At 27 he won’t want to go and sit on the bench anywhere. Bolton may well end up in the championship next season via the play offs and I’m not sure JDC is at that level. Time will tell.