• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Posh

Rovers v Posh
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Tuesday, September 17, 2019 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, September 17, 2019 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It does not get any easier for Rovers as we face our old nemesis Peterborough.

Posh are in blistering form, having beaten Rochdale 6-0, Sunderland 3-0 and MK Dons 4-0 in their last three matches. They spent a relative fortune in the summer and many of their squad would not look out of place in the Championship. Their attacking trio of Eisa, Toney and Maddison has been lethal in recent weeks, and they have other standout players like George Boyd, ex-Lincoln midfielder Alex Woodyard and ex-Newport full back Dan Butler. Given the resources and form of the two sides, a draw would be a minor miracle and a victory almost beyond words.

It is difficult to know how we will line up, as we still don't have anything resembling a 'best eleven'. However, I do think we need to start with two up front and three in midfield to pose some sort of attacking threat and get a foothold in the game. For all his faults, I think Banks needs to play as we have not offered any creativity from midfield without him in the last couple of games. RHM did well on Saturday and may start again, while CBT also comes back into contention. We have got to fight and scrap for our lives as we did at Rotherham a couple of weeks ago and hope it gets us somewhere.

Prediction: I think the gate will be 5.000 - 5,500 with 200 or so from Cambridgeshire and any kind of positive result would be a huge boost.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I can sadly only see a comfortable away win 3 1

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Have to say I'd go for damage limitation in this one, with the hope that we can keep the score respectable. Quite how we try for that, I'm unsure, in my view going back to the formation which saw us play well to earn a draw at Rotherham, or pack the midfield are the options most likely to give us a chance, albeit a slim one. While I accept the point about Banks and creativity, would probably start with him on the bench, though bring him back for the Burton game.

Player
Manager
John King
If Woods is injured, we might be forced to start with a 352. Borthwick Jackson played out of position at right back initially yesterday, before Mellon switched to 352 with CBJ and Morris as wing backs. We would not want too many square pegs in round holes against Peterborough.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think he’ll got 5 at the back. Drop rides for Borthwick Jackson and play Morris at right wing back. CJ behind Mullin and Hepburn Murphy. Perks and Potter as middle 2. Ray; Manny and Nelson back 3. Almost becoming a 5-4-1 at times.

If we can keep it tight early doors then you never know, but if Posh score early it could be a long night

Player
Manager
John King
I think he’ll got 5 at the back. Drop rides for Borthwick Jackson and play Morris at right wing back. CJ behind Mullin and Hepburn Murphy. Perks and Potter as middle 2. Ray; Manny and Nelson back 3. Almost becoming a 5-4-1 at times.

If we can keep it tight early doors then you never know, but if Posh score early it could be a long night
I think you might be spot on there.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Very tough game but Rovers like to surprise us. Lets keep the faith and see what the lads can produce.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I can't make it tomorrow either, but remain hopeful. This is based on the fact that football is a "funny old game", every match is a "two horse race" etc. rather than the evidence at hand!

Player
aldo
realy hope i do miss one . ive not been so far this season . all down to Work . and im missing it soooooo much . the way things are going its gonna be one of my poorest years in years . hear is going for a hard earned 1-0 mullin 94th min off his ares winner . looks like gonna be sub 6k crowd

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It says a lot when a 0-4 defeat would be our best result against the Posh in years! Just to score would be nice!

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
2-3 ...with killer late goal by them. Could be entertaining. 5,350

Player
Manager
John King
Banks replaces Jennings. Looks like 532 with Payne and Mullin up front.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Ridehalgh, who was apparently poor at Oxford keeps his place. Can only assume on the basis of experience, as Cameron-Borthwick would have seemed a better option. Think Jennings is a little unlucky to have been dropped, even when not at his best he puts a shift in and can get on the scoresheet.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Hope we’re not too negative. No pace in the side with RMH dropped and CBT on the bench. Some pace may have been helpful on the counter. Banks and Rides lucky to be in the starting 11 IMO

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Well with two upfront thete is no excuse for Payne to be isolated. Even if we go long at times Mullin should be close and available.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Really good first half from Rovers. Intensity and work rate excellent. Sadly the same problems persist. Lightweight up front and Posh have been pressing with a couple of sniffs on goal as the half progressed. Very quick on the counter. Good entertainment though.