• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Harrogate

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Kirby was signed as a midfielder, so if he is not capable of playing in a midfield three it would be very strange. What role would he be suited to, if he can't play in midfield ? I am confused.

If Kirby has been brought here to play games, he will have to be 'thrown in' at some stage, so why not Tuesday night when players are tired and we could do with freshening things up ?
There are other players who haven't had much game time recently, are more familiar with their team-mates attributes and could come into the side to freshen things up too

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
There are other players who haven't had much game time recently, are more familiar with their team-mates attributes and could come into the side to freshen things up too
But no central midfielders other than Kirby, who has league experience elsewhere and has to be blooded some time.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
But no central midfielders other than Kirby, who has league experience elsewhere and has to be blooded some time.
If we're playing a midfield three you could replace Feeney with Morris for example. There might be other options depending on whether any absentees become available.
You seem very keen on starting Kirby for this game, I'm less sure. We'll find out on Tuesday what the manager thinks.

Player
Manager
John King
If we're playing a midfield three you could replace Feeney with Morris for example. There might be other options depending on whether any absentees become available.
You seem very keen on starting Kirby for this game, I'm less sure. We'll find out on Tuesday what the manager thinks.
I don't think it is essential he plays this game, but if we have brought him here to play first team football we have to trust him and use him, otherwise what was the point ?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’d be tempted to start with Kirby if it was in place of say Lewis if he isn’t fit. From watching his interview the young lad seems level headed and we can’t really judge him on Saturday v Bolton. Start him in a winnable home game on Tuesday and see how he does.
If we were away at a strong opponent then it might be different and you may go for someone like Morris who has experience but we’re a bit short in centre mid and he seems a decent option with football league experience.

incidentlally Jacob Maddox left Chelsea at the end of last season and is now in Portugal.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
KH certainly seems to think highly of him (Kirby). I'd like to see him get more game time as I didn't see much of him in the minutes he played apart from falling over his own feet when through on goal. He doesn't seem blessed with the greatest pace so lumping him in the middle would be ideal.

Player
aldo
plus it could be one of those deals where he has to play a certain amount of games or we pay more wages, as for Feeney if we can I would play him he creates most of the goals we can't afford not to have is crosses into the danger zone

Player
ian goodison
who was the lad we got from Gillingham? some time ago if I remember scored 2 on his debut from centre forward (showing my age) then parry played him as a winger

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Donnelly?

he came to us from Swansea I thought but did have a half decent spell at the Gills. He’s back in N.Ireland now after being caught with his pants down (quite literally).

Player
Ian Goodison
Who was the last decent loan player we had from a Premier League side, who merited a regular start in our starting xi? Micky didn't think Maddox was good enough last season and sent him back with little game time, while Jack Young has gone back to Newcastle again without an extended run out at Rovers.

I think for the home games, we need Feeney's supply of ammunition and I'd like to see him stay in the starting xi for this game. Again, on the very limited evidence of Saturday's 25 minutes, didn't see Kirby showing aptitude in that area, though again would hesitate to say it's something he's not adept at without seeing more. My first impression from the weekend is that Nya might be best deployed as the apex of a diamond, if we were to use that formation again.
James Wallace maybe?

Player
ian goodison
simon francis & ryan shotton were good signings think francis came from sheff utd? & shotton from stoke can,t recall what divisions they were in

Reactions: Boz
Player
Manager
John King
It was Donnelly, but he was signed on loan from Swansea by Adams, and moved to Gillingham when he was released by the Swans.

Player
aldo
be good to see the new lads in the team over the next few games, going to be interesting to see who else we might be able to get in over the next week

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Clint Hill doing co-commentary for tonight’s game on ifollow. Of course after Joey Barton’s sacking at fleetwood both Clint and Andy Mangan are out of work. Chief Scout James Wallace still there apparently

Player
Manager
John King
A number of games involving promotion chasing clubs have been called off, so there is a chance for us to make some progress tonight.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
A number of games involving promotion chasing clubs have been called off, so there is a chance for us to make some progress tonight.
We really want to avoid postponements since the catch-up at the end of the season could be horrendous. It's the luck of the draw in respect of Covid suspensions but thank God we have a more resilient pitch than last season.