• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Eastleigh

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
To be fair they were nowhere near as cynical as last season. It probably helped that at no stage were they in front.
You always think that the next ref won't be as bad as the last.
Can they REALLY get worse than today?
Probably!
S Jenny's booking was an absolute disgrace.
Three games and he's on two cards already. Neither of them deserved.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Sounds like a well earned win for Rovers. Were Beastleigh better behaved than last season?

Crowd down from Tuesday, more than just the reduction in visiting fans. A bit disappointing, maybe the increased price if you pay on the day a factor.

Eastleigh were very physical, but not as cynical as last season. They also played decent football at times and looked a better side all round, but not as good as us. I think they will be in the top five at the end of the season.

The attendance was disappointing and I agree that the pay-on-the-day increase probably needs to be reviewed. Everton v Spurs on the same day probably did not help us either. It will be interesting to see what the crowd is next Saturday.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
If they keep winning and scoring especially at home that will bring more people back. I thought Dugdale had a good game for them, better than I remember him being in his last spell with us. They are a tough physical side although technically I don't think there's many teams that can compete with us at this level.

Regarding Cook, I still think he needs a few games to really get going and to keep up with the pace. Looked tired in second half, but I like his style of play and he'll get goals.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Thanks to everyone for the reports. Even the hardened cynics amongst us are struggling to find negatives at the moment. We often dominated last season without winning. Things seemed to be going wrong today. They equalised soon after our goal, then Nors missed the penalty. Would last year's side have kept their heads and won? Full marks especially to Nors for putting the penalty miss behind him.

It's looking good at the moment and may still be good come next May, but there will be darker moments on the way, so let's enjoy it.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Still think Cook was carrying a knock after first 20 mins. Agree though that there's the potential there for him to be a cult figure for us a la Simon Howarth in recent times. He's certainly signed up for the cause........ don't do Facebook but apparently his profile photo is now his celebration in front of Barrow fans on Tuesday!

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
So...... devil's advocate here....,.do we start to warm to GB?
OK....... maybe not just yet ;)
Can't knock his transfer activity though

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
If we win on Tuesday, I'll give him a cheer. I've been his sternest critic, but if he can win four games in style, I think we'll owe him some credit.

Player
Nevin
Brabin's transfers and just as importantly those who he's retained have impressed so far. Was very apparent that a few players were fighting til the end. Hopefully that's the pay off from club loyalty. Cook looked decent and ideal for the role he was deployed in he's a more mobile target man than we've had for a while.

Player
Manager
John King
At least GB is doing a job that armchair critics cannot do ;0)

It is partly in response to some of those 'armchair critics' (including Palios as it happens) that we signed players who can score goals in the summer and are adopting a more adventurous approach at home this season. Constructive criticism has its place in any walk of life.

In general, I think Brabin's recruitment has been good; the doubts always related to his tactics, not the quality of the players he brought in. This season I think we have been a bit more subtle tactically, with the front three playing close together and rotating positions, rather than the 'one man up front, two out wide' approach we had last season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Watched the highlights, both Jennings and Norwood took their chances well, but bit of a shambles for their equaliser, which to be fair Dugdale finished well. The other ex-Rover Dawson didn't make it off the bench.

Last season Forest Green won about the first 9 games, while Rovers started with 10 points out of 12. It's good that we're a bit more tactically fluid and have more options up front. Particularly because he's selecting the same players to start, Brabin needs to make better use of his bench. That aside, doing fairly well, but too early to judge yet.

Player
Manager
John King
Watching the highlights, some of our football yesterday was very good indeed. Very encouraging.

We started well last season, but I don't think anyone can deny we are in better shape this season. A few players looked a bit jaded at the end yesterday, so we might need to freshen things up a bit on Tuesday night. Four games in ten days is a lot to ask of the same eleven players.

M

Mal

To be fair to Brabin, it didn't take input from "armchair critics" to see the blinding obvious. For one thing, this year he has started off with a nucleus of players who have stayed, (despite him apparently being a hopless man manager) and poached some of the better forwards from last season without them being loan players. We now have stability. Even Klopp has taken since last October to get his team to gel. Even then, there are some areas for improvement. I for one am happy he got rid of Margetts and others for those who are more team oriented as well as focused.

M

Mal

Anyway, let us see how the team does at Borehamwood. I am looking forward to it but think this will be the sternest test so far. I think we may see some players rested or substituted after 65 mins. 4 games in 10 days is definitely tiring.

Player
Manager
John King
To be fair to Brabin, it didn't take input from "armchair critics" to see the blinding obvious.

Well, if those criticisms were blindingly obvious it was perfectly reasonable for supporters on here (and elsewhere) to make them wasn't it ?

I am not sure you are really in a position to comment on Margetts as none of us knows what went on behind the scenes. But I would agree that the replacements we have brought in over the summer are better than him anyway.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
At least GB is doing a job that armchair critics cannot do ;0)
Mal, it's been 3 games. I don't think we should be getting carried away yet.
Let's just enjoy it for now..

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Watching the highlights, some of our football yesterday was very good indeed. Very encouraging.
I thought Eastleigh took their foot off a little in the second half and were more reluctant to go forward. We had a fair amount of the ball and I do agree, some of the football was very good. Should have won by more than a goal really.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Undoubtedly getting one of the NL top forwards in Andy Cook and a versatile forward like Jennings has improved us. However, as RLC suggests, nobody knows why Margetts was so out of favour to be behind Jackson and Fenwick in the pecking order last season. Let's see how he fares at Lincoln.

M

Mal

Mal, it's been 3 games. I don't think we should be getting carried away yet.
Let's just enjoy it for now..
i agree. i am just saying that GB in general has been given a hard time and should be given more credit than he gets.