• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Eastleigh

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
On paper another difficult opponent up next. Redda Johnson the latest to be lured by Beastleigh's money. They've already the likes of James Constable and Ryan Creswell in their squad, decent players at this level in any book. They also have two Rovers old boys in their squad, Adam Dawson, much lamented departure and Adam Dugdale, very poor in his second stint at Rovers. Brabin didn't seem to rate Dawson and there may be points to prove when he gets on the PP pitch, having come on as sub in both games so far.

I'll be missing their trip to Birkenhead again, wonder if they'll adopt the same cynical, niggly approach which got them all the points on their last visit. Unsure what the situation with Ridehalgh is, but even if Liam is fit, might GB be inclined to stick with the lineup which saw off Barrow fairly easily?

Prediction: The visitors will bring 80-100, so down on Barrow's travelling support. I'm doubtful the home turnout will increase vastly, probably enough to nudge the attendance just over 5k. I think this will see the first dropped points of the season, but Rovers will take something from the game this time round.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am much more apprehensive about this game than the previous two as Eastleigh clearly have some (ridiculously) good individuals for this level of football. However, in the long term I am still not convinced that their policy of throwing money at a collection of ex-Football League players will bring them the success their owner craves. Still, this will be a very difficult fixture and if we come through it unscathed it will say a lot for our promotion chances this season.

From Brabin's comments today it seems that Ridehlagh may be fit for Saturday. As well as Maynard played on Tuesday night, I would be concerned if Jeff Hughes is left out of the midfield three for this game as the trio of Jennings, Harris and Lois did not give us much creativity. That was fine against a limited Barrow side, but I think we need Hughes in the middle for this game, at the expense of Harris or Jennings if need be.

It is very difficult to call this game, so I won't try to. I would imagine Eastliegh will be as horrible a side as they were last season, second only to FGR for thuggishness. I think the crowd will top 5,000 and hopefully there will be another decent atmosphere.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I'd probably take a point from this one and don't expect much more. Reda Johnson is a massive signing for them given his previous level and still only 28. He is dangerous at set pieces too. I'd prefer Ridehalgh back in the line up with his delivery and also if we need pace if Dawson features as he could be tough for Hughes to handle.

However I think GB will stick with the side without Liam and hope that our front 3 can create something themselves meaning we'll hopefully be solid elsewhere with Jenno, Harris & Maynard in the middle.
Hopefully we'll have a strong enough ref and GB will be well prepared given their behaviour at PP last season.

Prediction: 1-1

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I was thinking 1-1 too for all the same reasons, but is the result really that predictable? I wouldn't be unhappy with a draw, while a win would be an excellent outcome.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think it will be a scrappy cagey affair not helped by their tactics as they will come to frustrate. 1-1.

M

Mal

I have a gut feeling that the team is tougher than last season and with the forwards we have, could be 1-0 or 2-1. I am more concerned about Borehamwood.

Player
Nevin
First game of the season for me due to shift work. Had a cheeky little punt on 2-1 but that's based on new season optimism more than much else.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
First game of the season for me due to shift work. Had a cheeky little punt on 2-1 but that's based on new season optimism more than much else.
Good shout! Last kick of the game. Delighted!

Player
Manager
John King
A fantastic victory for Rovers and an excellent performance. The winner may have come with literally the last kick of the game, but everyone in the ground knew we were the better side today: the roof came off when Norwood slotted home the winner.

As expected, Eastleigh were experienced, strong, awkward opposition. However, Rovers had far more quality and creativity in the final third. I though a lot of our football was excellent and we certainly had a number of chances to finish the game off earlier, Cook in particular missing two good opportunities in addition to Nors' penalty. There were many encouraging aspects to the performance. I was impressed that our football was better than the opposition's, however much money has been spent to assemble their squad. Equally, I thought we showed great professionalism to keep passing and probing until the 94th minute and avoid getting frustrated: as we said on Tuesday night, that was a game we definitely would not have won last season.

There were a lot of good individual performances. I thought Harris, Maynard and Hughes were all excellent, but my man of the match would be Connor Jennings, who was instrumental in many of our best moves. The only bum note was the defending for their equaliser: just a routine ball lumped in the six yard box which we failed to deal with. In truth, their only real threat was from set plays.

Top of the league with nine points is probably more than most of us expected at this stage. If we can steer clear of injuries this could be a very good season.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
One of those days that makes grown men hug people they don't even know!

A fully deserved victory which I didn't think was coming after the missed penalty. Norwood has had an excellent spot kick record for us but was going to miss one eventually. But credit to him for putting the one on one away - something he hasn't always done for us.

I'm not as glowing about Connor Jennings performance as RLC. I felt against Barrow he faded second half and even today, I wanted him replaced with either Stephenson or Mekki. Ironically Kirby came on for an exhausted Cook. Connor to me isn't suited to a role out wide. He isn't quick and is at times too far from the central striker.

It's ironic that we have 3 strikers who at times today, I felt we weren't playing to their strengths. Cook has to plough a lone furrow when he is really a penalty box player and looked exhausted at the end. He wouldmpossibly do much betteer in a 4/4/2 with wingers. Connor plays better centrally and even Norwood at times gave the ball away when tracking back. I'm being fussy though.

I'm nit picking when i shouldnt be so lets celebrate. Top of the league. A fully deserved win. On to tuesday we go. Another big game.

Player
Manager
John King
I agree with Sparky that none of the front players are used in their best position with the system we play, something I commented on in pre-season. However, I do think there is something to be said for having all three of them on the pitch and their link-up play is very good at times, regardless of their starting positions. If we switch to 4-4-2, for example, who do we leave out ? Connor Jennings can't really play in an orthodox midfield role, and by using two wingers we might have to play Stephenson or Kirby ahead of Norwood or Jennings, which would not make sense on current form. Equally, I think we benefited from having three in midfield today against such big, physical opposition, and we might have been exposed with only two in the middle.

Anyway, plenty of options for the manager to ponder.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
There's not much sweeter than a 95th minute winner in the Kop end is there?
Nors' head seemed to be down a little after the pen miss but what a great finish. A chance he would likely have fluffed last season.
I'm pleased the line up was the same. Would have been harsh on Maynard to have left him out to accommodate Hughes in middle. Whilst not as influential as on Tuesday he still had an excellent game and we would have missed his physical presence against that bunch today.
Cook looked subdued to me and I wonder whether he took a knock early on that he was trying to run off.
There were calls for GB to make changes earlier but in my view he timed them right. It's all very well shouting for Mekki to come on but to bring on an out and out winger when you're playing 4-3-3 can leave you very exposed and there was no need to take such a risk earlier as we were comfortable.
Cast our minds back to last season at home - what would we have given to see us playing with three strikers?
MOM for me today, Hughes marginally. Looks like he's played left back forever. We may not find out how good he is away from home though when he's going to be backtracking for longer spells. Rides likely to return next week I think.
With a winnable home game next weekend, would be satisfied with a point on Tuesday. Going to be a tricky one.
Final point, the players look considerably fitter to me this time round. We're getting first to many more 50/50s and loose balls and look so much more sharper and alert. It may be that having the majority of the squad together from the first day of training has helped?

Player
Manager
John King
There were calls for GB to make changes earlier but in my view he timed them right. It's all very well shouting for Mekki to come on but to bring on an out and out winger when you're playing 4-3-3 can leave you very exposed and there was no need to take such a risk earlier as we were comfortable.

I agree completely with this. It was important we kept our shape in the second half as they were good enough to have picked us off and got an undeserved victory if we became too stretched. That is what happened in the corresponding game last season.

I also agree about the fitness, although I think the extra confidence in the squad this season has improved the energy levels.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree RLC about the front 3. None of them are probably that happy with their actual position but I always think we have a goal in us with them on the pitch at the same time.

If Norwood carries on league clubs will be sniffing around.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We have so much more up front the difference is night and day from last season. We are averaging 2 goals a game and always look likely to score. We created a lot of chances today and really should have scored more. Eastleigh created very little which is a testiment to how well balanced the squad is at the moment.

Quite annoyed how we conceded today but don't want to dwell on it. Another good performance and you can't ask for more than maximum points after 3 games. Roll on Tues.

Player
Nevin
I go to the game for finishes like that. Never understood those who leave early. Deserved to have won it by then tbh, but top and unbeaten after 3 can't argue with that.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Ha ha TTAS, get to my age and a finish like that might finish me :D
5 nil up or 5 nil down I've never left early.
Wished I'd had a few times when we've been porked in last minute. Savour today!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Sounds like a well earned win for Rovers. Were Beastleigh better behaved than last season?

Crowd down from Tuesday, more than just the reduction in visiting fans. A bit disappointing, maybe the increased price if you pay on the day a factor.