• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Crawley

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Whether you would term it a vast gulf I don't know, but I thought we had more attacking ambition for the majority of the game and more individuals that could make a difference. I just thought we looked the better side.

I agree about Maynard up to point, but it is difficult to see how we get him more involved in the current set up. He can't operate as a lone battering ram like Nevitt, so we would probably have to change the system to accommodate him. He is our most natural goalscorer though.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Good result that - we probably deserved the win overall in what I thought was a good game of football. Hawkes and Foley missed easy chances but then they hit the edge of the goal post/ bar and had a couple of good chances when they also should have done much better.
We started poorly I felt but got better as the half went on and were excellent in the early part of the second half with several great openings created until their goal which was a poor goal to concede defensively generally and Doohan at fault. After that Crawley dominated for a while but credit where credit is due we came back into it and were the better side again in the last quarter.
As others have said Morris was excellent today - best he has played I felt in a long time. McManaman was also quality today and such a shame his shot after a superb turn went just wide - would have been a great goal. Merrie did well and looked good when he ventured forward also - he will have given MM something to think about.
Reservations - should we be playing with just Nevitt up top as others have said - all the talk of we needed a top striker before the window ended and yet Maynard comes on only in the 89th minute. Nevitt is working hard sure but all our chances are coming from midfield or of course Clarke (first brace since 2009!!). Should we not be looking to get Maynard into the starting 11?
Finally I said before the game I felt it was harsh on Murphy being dropped as he is (was?) our No. 1 Keeper and had had several MOM perfomances to boot and felt that as MM has always done in the past when Davies was injured and returned he should have come straight back into the side after his concussion. The performance of Doohan yesterday confirmed that to me and I hope he returns Friday.

Player
Manager
John King
I thought Doohan could have done better with the goal, as he palmed the shot back into the six yard box rather than pushing it wide. However, his overall performances have been good and he deserves to keep his place.

Mellon rates him very highly and I don't think he will be dropped any time soon.

I also think the heroics of Murphy in the early games have been exaggerated anyway, as demonstrated by the fact that our defensive record remains just as good without him.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I thought Doohan could have done better with the goal, as he palmed the shot back into the six yard box rather than pushing it wide. However, his overall performances have been good and he deserves to keep his place.

Mellon rates him very highly and I don't think he will be dropped any time soon.

I also think the heroics of Murphy in the early games have been exaggerated anyway, as demonstrated by the fact that our defensive record remains just as good without him.
Doohan was very much at fault for the goal, it wasn't that hard a shot and you can't just push it straight out. I expect Doohan to continue for a bit longer yet as first choice

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Have seen the goal and agree doohan should have done better. Also agree with RLC about Maynard. If we’re playing one striker then I’m not sure Maynard is suited to that role. MM will want someone with a physical presence and both Nevitt and Mani have played that role but neither look like they’ll score regularly. Maynard is the most natural finisher but we would likely have to change system and with our recent form that won’t happen anytime soon so Nicky will have to be patient

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm not sure how we would accomodate two strikers but I think we would see a lot more goals with Nevitt and Maynard up front. Nevitt is working extremely hard but looking at the players around him, I think we will struggle for goals. Defensively we are solid so wont concede a great deal but we nearly got caught out yesterday at 1-1 when we should have been two or three up before their equaliser. I think we will drop points over the season but will playing like this get us into the top three? Quite possibly.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I'm not sure how we would accomodate two strikers but I think we would see a lot more goals with Nevitt and Maynard up front. Nevitt is working extremely hard but looking at the players around him, I think we will struggle for goals. Defensively we are solid so wont concede a great deal but we nearly got caught out yesterday at 1-1 when we should have been two or three up before their equaliser. I think we will drop points over the season but will playing like this get us into the top three? Quite possibly.
We would probably play 4 4 2 to get the 2 strikers in. It's hard to say yet if we will get into top 3 or not playing like this

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A few things about the points raised;

I've seen us live 4 times and watched the Ifollow Swindon game in full. It's clear Rovers are improving, as they get used to Micky's tactics and their new team-mates. This was a better performance than the last home game I saw v Pools, Rovers were on the front foot for most of the game and should have made the game safe before the equaliser. However Crawley had their moments and might feel that with their regular central defenders available they could have done better for our goals too. None of the teams I've seen us play seemed significantly worse than us and Forest Green aside there don't appear to be any stand out good teams, while we've lost to 2 of the perceived poorer sides in Oldham and Scunthorpe. League placings could be determined by fine margins this season.

I posed the question as to whether Maynard would have been the better lone striker yesterday, on the basis of the number of quality balls into the box that neither Nevitt or anyone else made much attempt to reach. I think Nicky would play further forward and might have done something with them, but Elliott's style of play and making himself more of a physical presence contributes more to the way that Micky has set us up. Neither are a Norwood-style striker adept at playing the solo role and if we're to continue down this route then the finishing of others has got to improve to compensate for the lack of goals from the forward. It may become important enough for MM to start playing a pair of strikers, but that doesn't seem likely soon.

There were defensive failings before Doohan had the shot to save leading to the Crawley goal yesterday, but I agree that his putting it back into the danger zone with his parry was poor. I thought it was the right decision to start him for this game based on recent decent performances after coming into the side and one error, which thankfully didn't prove costly, shouldn't result in him being dropped. However, I disagree with dismissing Murphy's great start to the season as being simply down to a good defence in front of him. The test of a good keeper is being able to deal with things that come your way even when they are rare because of the protection you're getting. I suspect Joe would have dealt much better with the initial Crawley shot. I also feel Murphy's distribution is better than either Doohan or Scott Davies.

Player
Manager
John King
Murphy played well in the earlier games, but I think it is clear that our good defensive record is not solely (or even chiefly) down to him, as was being suggested by some at the time.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I agree with Boz. I think had it not been down to some great saves by Murphy, we would have condeded more and lost points. Although the defence is generally good, it's got better the last few games and the keeper has not been called on as much whereas we did have a few shaky moments early on which is why Jo had a busy few games as we were still finding our feet.

Player
Manager
John King
I disagree. I think we have been defensively solid all season, and were restricting opponents to very few clear chances even in the opening games.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I cannot remember the last time we had two goalkeepers in contention to start for Rovers. For decades, there has been an obvious number one and a deputy who played only due to injury or international duty. The last time we had two genuine contenders was probably when a teenage Joe himself was breaking through and challenging Achto back in the nineties.

It will be really interesting when Scottie is fit again. ;)

Player
Manager
John King
I think the last time would have been towards the end of Achterberg's career when he was deputising for Gavin Ward, Danny Coyne and co.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Has anyone missed Scott between the sticks?

ADD

Player
Norwood

Not wanting to labour a point as we clearly disagree but the query I have is two - fold. Firstly to my mind MM has broken his normal policy of his Number 1 keeper coming straight back in irrespective. Never can I recall when Davies was out him not coming straight back in once fit despite Murphy doing equally as well as Doohan has in this case.
More importantly you say MM rates him very highly which intrigues me... if he is as good as you say MM thinks he is then fine if he thinks he is the better keeper right now (I don't) but if he is that good surely we are a staging post to him going on to a L1/Championship club or Celtic first reserve keeper? Or are you saying you think we might be able to entice him to join us in which case playing him makes more sense? Surely if he is a prospective Scotland keeper as has been intimated on here he won't be interested in a permanent move here?

Player
Manager
John King
Not wanting to labour a point as we clearly disagree but the query I have is two - fold. Firstly to my mind MM has broken his normal policy of his Number 1 keeper coming straight back in irrespective. Never can I recall when Davies was out him not coming straight back in once fit despite Murphy doing equally as well as Doohan has in this case.
More importantly you say MM rates him very highly which intrigues me... if he is as good as you say MM thinks he is then fine if he thinks he is the better keeper right now (I don't) but if he is that good surely we are a staging post to him going on to a L1/Championship club or Celtic first reserve keeper? Or are you saying you think we might be able to entice him to join us in which case playing him makes more sense? Surely if he is a prospective Scotland keeper as has been intimated on here he won't be interested in a permanent move here?
Mellon has said several times that there is no number one keeper and Murphy and Doohan have to fight for the shirt. So why would Murphy come straight back into the side if he is not the guaranteed number one ? There was a gulf between Davies and Pilling which there is not with the current keepers; Murphy was never the number two under Mellon, as he was signed by Jackson.

In all likelihood neither keeper will be here next season, but Murphy has said he will retire in the summer, so we know he definitely won't be.

Last edited:

overthewater

Player
chris malkin
I think it's wrong to assume that Doohan's international prospects would be harmed by a permanent move to us. He has been capped at every level up to under 21s where has something like 13 caps. He's clearly on Scotland's radar and we're not exactly blessed with a glut of goalkeepers. David Marshall who played in the Euros is 36 and currently Derby's third choice and the current no.1 is Craig Gordon is 38. Steve Clarke called up Portsmouth keeper Craig McGillivray who has never played higher than league 1. The fact that Doohan was playing regular first team football at a decent level would be the key thing from Scotland's point of view

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think it's wrong to assume that Doohan's international prospects would be harmed by a permanent move to us. He has been capped at every level up to under 21s where has something like 13 caps. He's clearly on Scotland's radar and we're not exactly blessed with a glut of goalkeepers. David Marshall who played in the Euros is 36 and currently Derby's third choice and the current no.1 is Craig Gordon is 38. Steve Clarke called up Portsmouth keeper Craig McGillivray who has never played higher than league 1. The fact that Doohan was playing regular first team football at a decent level would be the key thing from Scotland's point of view
Remember Doohan will probably be playing in League One next season. ;)