• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Crawley

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Had chances to kill the game off instead concede a soft goal from our throw-in

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yep. Game should be over by now but we struggle with lack of goals per game. Still time to get a winner!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Nearly gave away another, last ditch defending from Clarke. Feeney for Hawkes, not sure the change I’d have gone for.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Our attacking players should be ashamed as Clarke shows them the way again!!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
First home game I’ve missed due to isolating but made up with the 3 points. Clarke just gets more and more important for us and needs to give lessons to our attacking players!!

Will await any reports but sounds like Morris had another good game. Roll on Colchester on Friday night.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Just about deserved it, though felt we were sitting too deep for long spells of the second half.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Feeney for Hawkes, not sure the change I’d have gone for.
Feeney was good when he came on and put in a brilliant cross for the winner.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Both teams guilty of missing great chances but I think we deserved the win.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought it was another excellent performance and we fully deserved the win.

In the first half we dominated possession, but Crawley were surprisingly negative, sitting deep and clearly happy with a point, which restricted our opportunities. However, our half time lead was deserved, and there was great work from Morris in the build up to the goal.

In the first twenty minutes of the second half we lifted the tempo, played with more dynamism and energy and boxed Crawley in. The game should have been put to bed in that period, with Hawkes and McManaman both missing good chances, and Crawley's equaliser was undeserved. For ten minutes after the goal we lost our way, and we had a let off when their striker blazed over from twelve yards, but credit has to go to players and manager for the response. We regrouped and it was the much maligned substitute Liam Feeney that produced a fantastic cross for the winner.

After the laboured performances of the first few games of the season, I think we now look well balanced, dynamic and very fit. I think this squad has the same work ethic that Micky's sides always do, but with more quality than his previous teams.

Individually, I thought Morris was excellent again, and Foley gave another superb box-to-box performance in midfield, belying his age. The back four all played well and Merrie was decent at left back: he looks a good all round footballer. Hawkes was energetic and influential, and MacManaman is now fitter and more consistent than he was in the early games.

The only concern is the lack of a prolific striker, but perhaps we don't need one if we remain so solid defensively.

We are up to ninth in the league and could move into third or fourth position with a win on Friday. Onwards and upwards.

Last edited:
Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
Thought we were good value for that win looking at the game as a whole. Agree with Boz about the ref, a couple of bizarre decisions number 1 being Nevitt winning a header followed by a head clash from their defender, ref gives ball back to them after both players get treatment. Secondly, pass from us takes slight deflection from ref not impacting the pass, still goes to our player in an advantageous position, frustratingly blows, but then even more frustratingly gives the ball to them. Ref also massively inconsistent in dishing out yellow cards.
I think sometimes we look to criticise the performance for criticism’s sake, but I’m happy with that today and the justified result. We’ve definitely improved over the last few games. PC immense all over the park. 4 goals in last two home games testament to that against two difficult opponents

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A good crowd of over 6,000 as well, considering the weather, the lack of away support, and the unenticing opposition.

Player
aldo
3rd highest crowed today is all good, let us hope for a good Friday night turn out it might be my first game in 3 years at pp

• Wow
Reactions: Ian
Player
aldo
with covid and work my days are Limited and so far this season its been like Xmas every day, with tons of parties booking in and working 70 hr weeks,I am getting no time ti kiss my butt

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I didn't feel there was a vast gulf between the sides, Rovers deserved to win, but didn't take the chances to build a lead both before and after the first goal. The last home game I was at was Hartlepool and the first half was a little like a re-run at that, but with Tranmere in the Hartlepool role. There were some great balls into the box from both full-backs and Hawkes, but nobody got on the end of them. The visitors had hit the woodwork and made a nuisance of themselves in the midfield areas; my impression wasn't of a side being particularly negative and they played their part in a decent game of football. Morris dancing into their area and floating a delicious cross glanced into the net by the head of Clarke. Rovers heads went up and we dominated the rest of the half and the early stages of the second half without putting the ball in the back of the net again.

There came a point in the second half, where we seemed to drop deeper and the ball was rarely crossing the halfway line. It made me uneasy, but their goal when it came was a defensive shambles, following a mix-up from a throw-in on the Rovers right. Heads went down and Crawley had about 3 decent chances including the spurned one on one. I wish we could ditch the idea of having all eleven behind the ball defending set-pieces too. Foley had a chance to restore the lead, but shot tamely at the keeper. The winner came from a quality cross from Feeney, the keeper was able to parry the point blank header from Davies, but only to a place where Clarke was able to apply the finishing forehead and bag us 3 points. For the last 15 minutes we seemed to concede possession too readily but don't recall any serious threats on our goal and we ran off worthy winners.

Apart from the collective cock-up for their goal, we defended well. I agree with RLC on Merrie and he was less predictable as a full-back than an orthodox left-back would be, which worked to our advantage. I did feel that Foley lost his way a bit after a solid first half, while up front, would Maynard have made better use of the balls into our box than Nevitt? Elliott showed some great strength and skill in deeper positions, but didn't really trouble their keeper.

Despite Clarke's quality headers, my MoM would be Kieron Morris.