• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Chester

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Supporting Rovers is not like living in North Korea, where we have to praise every decision of the great leader.

I acknowledged above that Mellon's decision making could have been better in the second half yesterday, but you would have to admit yourself that your comments about managers and Rovers in general are incredibly negative at times, to the point of pettiness on occasions. If Mellon made mistakes yesterday I would class them as small mistakes and it was the stupidity of Tollitt - if he did dive - that cost us the victory.

Your assessments are often unbalanced. You suggested we should start with Mekki or Stephenson, when in fact that would probably have left us too open in the first half, given the players we had missing in midfield and Chester's attacking intent. Mellon played Kirby and we had a two-nil lead at half time and limited the opposition to few chances, suggesting he got the decision right.

Regarding the youngsters, it would actually be my preference for both Duggan and Gumbs to remain with the club as part of the first team squad now. Both had extended loans last season and I don't think we should be sending them out again. Based on his comments at the Q&A, I don't think Mellon trusts Duggan to play in midfield at present and wants him to get more experience in that position: whether that is the right judgement, only time will tell. His best game for us was at fullback against Dagenham, but I have not seen enough of him in either position to know which is his best role.

As for the North Korea reference, given the rise of Farage, Trump and Le Pen you might have a similar regime closer to home sooner than you think.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Thought we played well at times in the first half and deserved to be in front with two decent goals though they looked dangerous on the break with alibi up front and the no 15 just in behind him. Cant agree with comments that Kirby played well he didn't really do much and most of our best moves and both the goals came from the left hand side, if Kirby was too start it should have been up front rather than wide right as this is his best and natural position.

Second half we didn't get started for a while and conceded a poor goal down but then suddenly sprang back into life, Mangan should have scored as it was a very good chance but the red card changed the game and it was deserved as it was a blatant dive. I thought we may just hang on only for a good goal to cost us 2 points which with Forest Green winning again looks very costly.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Don't think we need to look into this too deeply. We were winning 2-0 at half time and looked good. The sending off competely changed the game. If we had 11 men in the second half we would have won. Like MM says, it's disappointing when your 2-0 up but that's football.

Arguably we could have retained possession better in the second half but lessons can be learned and we move on.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Highlights on OS. There was contact on Tollitt as it looked like their skipper stood on his toe. Not enough to bring him down though..

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
This is what I posted at the time of Micky's appointment, which couldn't be classed as incredibly negative. To re-iterate my earlier remark, despite my view about the bench yesterday, he's still the best man for the job.
A good appointment; 2 promotions on his record, one of which was taking Fleetwood out of this league. Realistically we couldn't have done better.

Kirby's performance yesterday seems to have divided opinion. Didn't really notice him in the first half, but he was playing on the opposite side. Second half he contributed little. Wouldn't agree on what I saw that we were 2 up at h/t either despite Kirby or because of him. Kirby was coming back from injury and you could make a case for Mekki (more attacking, will track back) or Stephenson(greater pace) starting. Think either would have kept the Chester defence more occupied.

Not sure the sending off was just the game changer. If the team and McNulty in particular hadn't been so casual letting Chester back into the game just after h/t, things might have been different, even when we went down to ten with a 2-goal cushion.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Highlights on OS. There was contact on Tollitt as it looked like their skipper stood on his toe. Not enough to bring him down though..
Who was the commentator on that? Seemed to think that there was a foul on the Chester keeper for the second Rovers goal, the keeper leaves the line and tangles with Cook, but it's hard to see what happens immediately after and keeper's back on the line when Tollit scores.

Having seen the simulation footage for the sending off, it seems a little harsh. I wasexpecting much more of a Tom Daley.

Player
Manager
John King

That is what I thought at the time as I was not far away. Definite contact, but Tollitt then took a couple of strides before going down. I still think it was a harsh sending off as the first booking was debatable as well.

In reply to Boz, the co-commentator on Merseyside was the Chester-supporting Neil Turner. It was impossible to see from the footage whether the keeper was impeded for the second goal, but there was definitely no handball from Cook prior to the first; that goal looks even better second time around.

Player
Manager
John King
Not sure the sending off was just the game changer. If the team and McNulty in particular hadn't been so casual letting Chester back into the game just after h/t, things might have been different, even when we went down to ten with a 2-goal cushion.

I still think Kirby plays narrower and puts in more of a defensive shift than the other two wide players, but I agree with this. Our sloppiness after half time allowed Chester back into it.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Having looked at the highlights, I agree with you, Ian. Technically, he was fouled, but he did make a meal of it. So, what should the ref have done? Can you be awarded a penalty and booked for simulation?

Seriously, he was silly to risk it after being booked already. Next time, I hope he will have learned and be more careful.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I guess he was a bit unlucky as I've seen worse dives that go unpunished but with the minimal contact the referee would never have blown for anything so I guess he took a chance in the spare of the moment and because he felt a boot on his toe, went down. I can understand why he did it if he felt contact.

According to a refs blog:

There are four types of simulation to look out for:
  1. When there’s clearly no contact;
  2. When there’s minimal contact and it’s exaggerated;
  3. When the player drags his leg;
  4. Over-reaction, such as when a player goes down clutching his face after an opponent brushed past him.
Referees are instructed, in no uncertain terms, to give a mandatory caution to such players for unsporting behaviour in accordance with Law 12 – Fouls and Misconduct

I think point 2 pretty much sums it up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boz

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
That's useful, Ian. Can see why the referee gave it, but not clear cut from my viewing of the incident.

It did feel at times like Tom Shaw, the Chester captain and foot-treader here was refereeing the game. He seemed to ask for Harris to be booked, stayed down long enough to ensure Tollit was booked first time, then makes a miraculous recovery and again appears to be prompting the second yellow for Tollit. Weak refereeing allowed him to get away with this.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Agree Boz. He had a lot to say until Big Mac stormed over and told him politely to shut his mouth.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
That Tom Shaw is an animal. After Tollit got his second booking he was constantly telling him to eff off even as Ben left the pitch. Way over the top.

Will try not to repeat what others have said about the game. Speaking to some Chester fans they have improved massively. I went to both games last season and Chester were poor plus there was no atmosphere really for a derby. Saturday was totally different and their manager has improved them massively so it was always going to be harder than last season.

At half time I felt if we got another their heads might drop and we could get 5 like Lincoln did - how wrong I was ! Whatever the 2 managers said at half time would have been interesting as we were awful and they came out like a house on fire. Poor marking for the header to make it 2-1 but after that we weathered the storm a bit, but the sending off (justified in my view as clearly exaggerated right in front of me although there was contact), gave them a real boost.

Bringing on Ihikwe made sense to some degree but Boz (I think) made a good point by saying Sutton should have gone to RB and Ihikwe in the middle. The gap between Cook and the rest of the team got bigger and bigger. As their defender brought the ball out of their half and into ours for the equaliser, I was screaming for someone to close him down but we had dropped so deep no-one did.

I didn't understand brining Mekki on at all. Yes he works hard but has no pace and hadn't played for weeks. Dawson and particularly Stephenson would have given us an option to go into the corners with their pace and relieve some pressure. They could have been given a defensive brief to support Ridehalgh but would have given us more of a threat on the break and more chance of supporting Cookie.

Agree with Big Mart about Kirby. I don't mind playing him away as he works hard but at home against a mid table side we should have been more positive with either Dawson or Stephenson starting wide. Mangan looked a bit ring rusty.

Not a total disaster by any means but need to win at Braintree and at home to Torquay (oh and try not to lose at Forest Green in between!)

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
Good to read your reports guys having been completly out of touch for eight weeks due to a serious sports injury.
So much seems to have happened but a couple of questions to help me get back in touch if anyone feels kind enough to update:
Almond seems to have been and gone whilst I have been submerged, not even on the bench. Clearly MM must not fancy his ability but what was he like when he played? Is he a winger or a striker or can he operate in midfield? Has he been binned too soon without a chance?
I thought it was criminal that Richie Sutton was cold shouldered by GB and often not even on the bench but hardly used when he was even when experience was needed and really pleased he is in the mix now. However given we were really solid in the last few months of last season with Big Mac and MIchael Ihiekwe in central defence and really excellent again this year, what happened to break up the seemingly no problem area of the team. Has this been the right move given what was the first radio commentary I have heard on Saturday were saying our defence had gone all at sea and Big Mac lost all composure. How is Richie going on and is Lee Vaughan the best option at right back defensively (great fan of his offensive qualities).
Noticed the comments about Jake Kirby. More or less sums up his career to date really working hard, has some technical ability but often has very modest impact. Has Stephenson had much of a chance in recent games or has he been poor? Have only seen him twice but feel he has real potential, albeit with a lot to learn but will only get better with minutes invested in him on the park. He is the sort of player that can do the unexpected and appreciate what has been said in your reports that his energy and raw pace can give the opposition more to think about.
Any thoughts how best we might line up once Connor Jennings is back who seemed to me a quality player that we will hopefully now see the best of.
Usually many moan about Jenno but when he is missing we suddenly appreciate what he has been contributing. Is this the case now or do you think he will struggle to get back in when fit and do we still look short of a quality high energy central midfield playmaker?
Sorry to be a pain about the past history questions - any thoughts appreciated!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I'll have a go at answering these Brightonian !

Almond - When we signed him I wondered whether he would be one of those who was a big fish at a club like Southport but may struggle to make an impact with us. Whilst he would argue he hasn't had many chances, in the games I have seen he has made no impact at all. Like other players he isn't an out and out striker and doesn't have the pace for a winger. He's more of a no.10 player I guess but depending on what system MM chooses, has to compete with the likes of Tollit, Dawson, Mekki, Kirby & Stephenson for an attacking midfield berth. Rightly or wrongly I think he won't feature much for us at all in the future any may end up back on loan at Southport.

Sutton / Ihikwe - I think Ihikwe was still first choice but having been suspended after his sending off at Daggers, Richie came in and has done well. Apart from Saturday we had won 4 out of 4 league games with MM so I can understand why he is in the side and gives competition for places. No need to change it yet I feel although Big Mac looked a bit shaky on Saturday but as I say, good to have competition for centre half places. If I had to choose, I'd still rather have Vaughan/Sutton/Big Mac/Liam rather than Sutton/Ihikwe/Big Mac/Liam. Hopefully our solid defence will resume on Saturday and the Chester game was a one off given we were so deep due to the sending off.

Kirby/Stephenson - I wasn't at the Dover game but Darren played 82 mins in a 4-1 win so must have done ok. I was therefore surprised he didn't start against Chester with his pace and I suspect dropping wasn't great for his confidence, especially when Kirby had no impact really. Even bringing on Mekki instead of Darren was a mistake I think. I hear that Darren has struggled to cope with the demands of full time football but thought he would have started on Saturday when I heard Dawson wasn't.

Connor J - this will be interesting as like Almond, he isn't an out and out striker. Would MM play him just behind a front 2 or is this too risky? I still don't think we have seen the best of CJ yet and how MM keeps a fit CJ happy along with Norwood, Cook & Mangan remains to be seen.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Almond. I agree with Sparky, don't think he's got much of a future with Rovers as things stand. In the games he played under MM, was in the hole behind the front two, but didn't see them to comment how he fared.

Sutton/ Ihiekwe is harder. Sutton positions himself too far from the touch line playing at right-back and always looks more comfortable and natural in central defence. Ikhy compensates for McNulty's lack of pace but hasn't looked as assured recently. Unless the opposition have a really fast forward line I wouldn't play him atm. Vaughan would be my starter at right-back for home games as can give more attacking options.

Kirby/Stephenson. Could see why MM started with Kirby and replaced with Mekki on Saturday as both offer more defensively than Darren, which was needed given our midfield shortage. Think Stephenson will mostly be used as an impact player at this stage.

Connor Jennings seems to have been earmarked for the hole behind the front two, going by Micky's remarks.

Steve Jennings was missed at the weekend, his absence being more noticeable by Maynard's international duty absence and Duggan being farmed out on loan. Harris had a good game and if Jay continues in similar vein, SJ may not be a shoo-in after recovering from his op.

Hope this assists, Brightonian and wish you all the best recovering from your injury

Brightonian

Player
Many thanks Sparky!
Almond sounds a really strange one being similar to others on the books already.
It is healthy to have competition for places and in central defence we seem to be well placed. Glad to hear that Richie has been doing well.
Just been catching up with the HD player match highlights and so impressed with Cookies recent strikes; fantastic finishes -what an acquisition he has turned out to be. Must be first name on the team sheet supported by one of the several options.
Must be the option to loan out one or two and hopefully add some more quality. Anybody any thoughts on the midfield? Whilst we have won the odd game well with 442 over the past couple of seasons we have often had better results with more in midfield.

Brightonian

Player
Thanks Boz for taking the trouble to update; much appreciated!
Interesting times ahead and having heard MM on player who has emerged whilst I have been submerged, he sounds an assured intelligent man who appears likely to extract the best from the resources available.
It must have been tremendous to have been at the Chester match with such a good derby atmosphere with a crowd of almost 8k. Hope we can pick up the momentum again at the weekend .

Player
Manager
John King
I don't have a great deal to add but would make a few observations.

Almond: His one really impressive game for us was the 3-0 win at Solihull when he played as a number ten. I don't necessarily agree that MM has discarded him altogether, more that we have gone with width in recent matches and the formation has not suited him. However, Micky has already said that Connor Jennings will play in the hole when he is fit, and when that happens Almond's chances will be severely limited.

Ihiekwe: I actually think he is overrated by some of our supporters and prefer the Big Mac / Sutton pairing. I think Ritchie is the kind of no-nonsense defender you need at this level, whereas Ihiekwe takes risks on occasions. Our centre backs were exposed by Chester's pace on Saturday. However, they coped fine with Miller and Emmanuel at Dover when they had the protection of Maynard in front of them.

Kirby: not much to add, although I do think he offers more in certain games than some people acknowledge. I think he did ok on Saturday, and was the right choice because of his defensive attributes.

Stephenson: definitely not ready to start on a regular basis from what I have seen of him. He was actually pretty dreadful at Dover, which is why I was not surprised to see Kirby preferred to him, although he did put in a pretty impressive display for the whole ninety minutes at York. Still an impact player at the moment though.

Connor Jennings: Micky said at the Q&A that he will played either as a number of ten, or just off one of the other strikers. Not on the right wing where Brabin put him !

All the best with the convalescence Brightonian. What will be your next match, Woking perhaps ?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Just a quick word on Almond and Duggan, who were both rated by Carden but have slipped behind others since Micky arrived. Based on just the one game I saw at Dagenham, I was impressed with both - Duggan as a defender and Almond as a number 10.

However, I think we have to trust the manager's judgement to pick the most effective team for each match. At the end of the season I won't care who he's picked and who he's discarded as long as we get promoted.