• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Chester

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Last season's first competitive Cheshire derby in a long while saw a comfortable 2-0 win for Rovers, featuring a quality finish from James Norwood, who's banned for this one. Our opponents had been on a good run, with a string of clean sheets but it all went horribly wrong as they conceded 5 to Lincoln last time out. Former full-back Evan Horwood is on their books, while assistant manager Ian Sharps spent a number of years at PP.

The starting point for team selection would be the xi who won so well at Dover. However, Maynard is on international duty for St Kitts, so there is an enforced change there. Given both Jennings' are long-term absentees, short of drafting Mitch Duggan into midfield, it looks like the formation will change. Up to now, Micky has opted for a 4312 starting line-up, but I'm unsure with the personnel available. If we were to go that way, a recall for Louis Almond on the cards? Currently a 442 would be a better fit.

The big question is whether the new recruits will start. Neither Mangan nor Dawson have been regular starters at their previous clubs. Andy has been with us for longer, the management have had time to assess and work on his fitness and my inclination is that he'll be in the side to take the field on Saturday. Adam is harder to call, as a winger, full fitness is more important and if that's not confirmed, my preference would be starting with Stephenson or even Mekki wide, using Dawson as an option off the bench.

Prediction:at the start of the week, Chester had only sold 425 tickets. With a pay on the day option available, expecting them to at least double that, but they're not going to bring the numbers of last season. Even since Micky's arrival our home support has only edged up a little and I can't see a crowd above the upper end of 6k. As for the result, either Rovers narrow win or a draw

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree with Boz that we will probably set up in a 4-4-2, and I would also expect Mangan to start but I am less sure about Dawson. Despite last week's result, Chester are a much improved side this season and playing an attacking 4-4-2 against them with two players of debatable match fitness might leave us exposed in midfield. However, Micky is a very positive manager and one of the most impressive things about him so far has been his ability to tinker with formations and personnel, yet still produce performances of a consistently high standard.

I think the crowd will be in the region of 7,500 - 8,000, unless the weather is really appalling. Both teams are much better than at the same stage last season, Rovers have some exciting new signings on show and I think Chester will ultimately bring 1,200 - 1,500 fans.

Chester are a reasonable team, but it was interesting to hear their manager admit last week that they were outclassed by a Lincoln side that is of similar quality to Rovers. It won't be easy, but if we are anywhere near our best I think we will win the game. Regardless of local hostilities, three points are vital to stay in touch with FGR. I can't wait for this one and hope the game lives up to expectations.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Agree with RLC regarding Chester. They are certainly a better team than last season but we should prove too strong for them.

Mangan has said he's fully fit and raring to go so I'd be very surprised if he's not in the starting lineup. Agree with Boz about giving Stephenson a start (I like his raw energy) and having Dawson on the bench for a cameo in the second half.

Hope it's a good attacking game and a treat for the supporters.

Think we'll edge it by a goal or two.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Like RLC I'm well up for this one. A home derby is always a big game but this has added spice because of our good league form since MM took over and the excitement the signings of Mangan and Dawson bring.

I watched the goals from last seasons home win over Chester and both Andy & Adam featured in the win. Perhaps an omen. Both players have warmed the bench a lot in recent weeks so match sharpness could be an issue. Wouldn't surprise me if both started as sub or perhaps only Mangan started. Suspect the team will be something like:

Davies
Vaughan Sutton Big Mac Ridehalgh
Stephenson Harris Hughes Tollit
Cook Mangan

Some would be tempted to start with Dawson for Stephenson but Darren played 82 mins of last weeks very good win so he probably deserves to stay in the side, for his confidence at the very least. Bench could be: Turner, Ihikwe, Duggan, Dawson & Kirby.

Prediction: comfortable 3-0 win for rovers.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
really fancy us to win this game im going for a 2 0 win with cook & tollit scoring

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I hope you are all right in your predictions and the Micky bubble doesn't burst yet. The feel good factor is so strong at the moment following four wins and two exciting signings that it's difficult not to be positive. So I'm forecasting a two-goal win, possibly after an early scare.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Really looking forward to tomorrow.
The club, to it's credit, have been promoting the game left, right and centre.
No games for the big two so likely record crowd this season in NLP?
Chester have hyped it a bit and why not given their recent form.
Think it will be 4-4-2 with Mangan up top.
Won't be surprised (and will pleased) if Dawson starts. If he can reproduce his trickery, with Tollitt on other wing, it should be good viewing.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah CK, hope its a really good atmosphere and good game to match.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
800 Chester tickets sold by 4.30 today.
Looks like they'll put Wrexham to shame!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The Wrexham crowd was really poor, even allowing for early ko.

As pay on the day available, they should top 1k, though probably won't bring as many as last year. Hoping the 70s throwbacks causing trouble post-match last time won't bother showing up

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Ditto Boz.... most of us (older?) genuine fans have no problems with Chester.
Was sorry at their demise a while back and it's nice they're stable again. Their fans have suffered and stood by them.
Was it Vaughan who porked them and there were rumours about him buying out Johnson?
Lucky escape!

Player
Manager
John King
I have got a funny feeling about this one now, particularly given the new players we are trying to incorporate and Chester's record of one defeat in ten. Hoping it is just pre-match nerves.......

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
My other half was there today on a tour with a class of kids (she's a teacher). She saw the team sheet in the dressing room but never took a photo! Nevermind..

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Definitely grounds for divorce Ian.
RLC, they're not 'new' players..... they're returning ones!
I haven't analysed Chester's form in their run but if there was a high proportion of wins they'd be alongside us.
I'm sure we'll put them in their place.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Derbies are always unpredictable and you can tear up the form-book. That would say that Chester's best results, Lincoln aside, have been at home.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I do think as RLC said a few posts back they certainly won't be any pushovers. Few supporters seem to think we'll turn them over easily, I'm not so sure. I think we'll win but I don't think it will be easy.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
My season ticket card gets scanned for home games. If I order a ticket online for my lad (£2) do I need to print it off or can any email they send me for it be scanned too?

Player
Manager
John King
Sparky, I think you will need the printed ticket which includes a barcode for scanning. I don't think there is a barcode on the e-mail itself, in which case it could not be scanned.

Player
Manager
John King
Kirby and Mangan start, Dawson on the bench . A sensible line up really as it makes us quite solid in the middle