• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Carlisle

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Carlisle

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Carlisle
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, October 29, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, October 29, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Next up in our trio of home games is the visit of Carlisle. A poor first half of the season in 21/22 saw Paul Simpson return to the club who helped them climb the table. Their good form has carried on in 22/23 and despite a 2-0 defeat at Stockport on Tuesday, the Cumbrians sit one place below us in the division lying 10th. Despite being on the same points as us they have 6 wins, 6 draws and 3 defeats, but have lost their last two.

Ex rovers loanee Morgan Feeney will be at the heart of their defence but former youngster sonny Hilton who left us for Fulham when 15 and is on loan hasn’t featured of late. They do have some decent options in attack with the experienced goal poacher Kristian Dennis on 8 league goals so far this season. Omari Patrick who was linked with us previously missed Tuesdays game.

As for rovers given Micky didn’t feel any subs were needed on Tuesday, unless anyone is injured I’m expecting the same again. However personally I’d be tempted to give mcalear a start ahead of merrie. I know the two defensive midfielders has worked well in games but with two points dropped v Rochdale (and arguably at Harrogate), two sides in the bottom four of course, I’d like another attacking option on the pitch at home. Especially as we’re in danger of flogging the same old eleven and some might say things needs freshening up. Could Micky even give Burton a go alongside Hemmings and use Nevitt off the bench? Unlikely it will happen.

However knowing Micky it’ll be the same eleven if all fit. I’m predicting another draw. Carlisle like Rochdale would take that and I’m not sure we’ll be able to break them down.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, I dont know why he wastes so much time only to punt it upfield. Reminds me of the Nixon days. I can't see Micky making any changes for this match. We did push Rochdale hard in the 2nd half I would hope we can do the same on Saturday. I also hope we have a better first 45 as the last few have been a bit poor and we've had work to do in the second half. A few goals would be nice but I'm probably being a bit unrealistic there.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes although Micky was very positive about Tuesdays performance, I wasn’t overly impressed with our first half showing.

Speaking of Doohan there has been pressure on him earlier this season. After the goal on Tuesday turnbull gave him a rollicking and he didn’t defend himself so must have thought he could have done better. Any more mistakes and they’ll be more question marks around whether hewlet should be given a game.

That said, overall we’re on a good run so no need to make any hasty changes

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Need to get back to winning ways,I'm going for a home win 2 1

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Carlisle took 1,100 to Stockport on Tuesday night so will be interesting how many they bring. Their manager Paul Simpson has confirmed they have 9 players injured and two suspended so may be a good time to play them

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I,ll be happy to see doohan try to pass to the full backs rather than spend 90mins punting it upfield only to see it come back again
In fairness to him, the back four did not show to receive a short ball all night. If the defence have been instructed to push out rather than play out from the back, he has no choice but to go long. He can't pass to thin air.

Reactions: Boz
Player
Manager
John King
As Sparky says, Carlisle have a number of key players missing, although Derby loanee striker Jack Stretton will probably be fit for Saturday. I think Omari Patrick, who we tried to sign in the summer, is their best player so hopefully he is still unavailable.

Paul Simpson is a legendary manager up there due to the success of his previous spell, and is held in similar affection to Micky Mellon at Prenton Park (by most of us anyway). He has transformed them from perennial relegation battlers to potential promotion candidates.

I think we will be unchanged, but don't mind the idea of McAlear replacing Merrie to freshen things up a bit, particularly given the punishing schedule at the moment. I thought Merrie was poor on Tuesday night and has been inconsistent for a while now. I think O'Connor is the more reliable of the central midfielders and some supporters go OTT in their praise of Chris.

I think the gate will be close to 7,000 and we will win the game.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I thought Merrie was lacking a bit on Tues and thought he struggled against some of their bigger players in midfield. Having said that, he's been OK when he's been called on. No better or worse than McAlear although some fresh legs might help.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I thought Merrie was lacking a bit on Tues and thought he struggled against some of their bigger players in midfield. Having said that, he's been OK when he's been called on. No better or worse than McAlear although some fresh legs might help.
I can see why micky likes merrie and O’Connor as although both defensive midfielders, they are good at dropping in when Cogley and bristow get forward. Plus we won a number of games with them as a partnership however mcalear Has a point to prove to get back in the side and he is more attacking

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It did seem like the instructions for the Rochdale game were to avoid playing out from the back unsure what the rationale was for that approach. The central midfielder pair also seemed to be mainly delivering to the flanks rather than through the middle. I don't think Doohan not reacting to Turnbull after being shouted out after the Dale goal proves anything. Was a bit disappointed that Turnbull reacted that way, but no defender wants to concede a goal. Hopefully it doesn't become a habit!

Is O'Connor a better player than Merrie? Possibly, but it's like comparing apples and oranges, with each player having different strengths. There were a few players who were below par on Tuesday night, Chris being one of them. However, in the games they've played, Chris has picked up more plaudits and one fans MoM on the online vote, whereas McAlear has disappointed to date. That's not to say he can't come good, but my preference would be to see him come on as a sub rather than get a start. I think given Micky's post-match comments the line-up is likely to be unchanged. It was good to see Hemmings getting into the right positions to attack balls into the box on Tuesday. Hopefully he can continue but with more reward.

Paul Simpson may be loved by Carlisle fans, but for Stockport something of a Micky Adams figure, managing them for much of the season they dropped out of the league. I felt he made some ill-judged remarks after last season's game and I lost a lot of respect for him and his team on that day. The Cumbrians are currently in an injury crisis and also have a striker suspended

On paper, it should be a good time to play this match, but one fly in the ointment comes in the form of the referee. Not Breakspear again (thankfully), but the dreadful Carl Boyeson, who managed a decade of Rovers' game middles without us mustering a solitary point. That grim sequence came to an end with a draw at Bradford last season, but if anyone can ruin our afternoon Mr Boyeson is a good contender.

Player
Manager
John King
the dreadful Carl Boyeson, who managed a decade of Rovers' game middles without us mustering a solitary point. That grim sequence came to an end with a draw at Bradford last season, but if anyone can ruin our afternoon Mr Boyeson is a good contender.
That is an incredible statistic.

He is even more fatal to our chances than your presence at away matches. ;)

We will still win on Saturday.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Mickys pre match interview worth a watch. He clearly went on some forums after the Rochdale game!

Player
Manager
John King
Mickys pre match interview worth a watch. He clearly went on some forums after the Rochdale game!
I am not sure that is true, but he definitely gave some robust responses to leading questions.

I thought the tone of the questions was a bit weird given the form we are in.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I am not sure that is true, but he definitely gave some robust responses to leading questions.

I thought the tone of the questions was a bit weird given the form we are in.
I was only joking about him going on forums but as you say his answers were robust and detailed. It made a nice change from some of the previous questions which are the usual old rubbish. Plus I think they were valid to some degree as I suspect decent numbers of the SWA were wondering why no subs were made when we needed that second goal. But his answer was fair and understandable as his record does stand up to most other managers.

Player
Manager
John King
I was only joking about him going on forums but as you say his answers were robust and detailed. It made a nice change from some of the previous questions which are the usual old rubbish. Plus I think they were valid to some degree as I suspect decent numbers of the SWA were wondering why no subs were made when we needed that second goal. But his answer was fair and understandable as his record does stand up to most other managers.
Yes, I agree that the interviewer had done some preparation, which did make a change from the lazy, generic rubbish the usual Radio Merseyside staff serve up.

However, the interviewer was implying that drawing one game at home is a major issue, when in reality it is not. It was interesting that Micky stated that he did not think Hughes or McAlear would have the impact the game needed, which were my thoughts at the time.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I suppose we all have an opinion but I think at times we just need to let them get on with it. Modern times and social media I guess!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I still think it may have been worth a go on Tuesday with mcalear for merrie but it’s history now.

Roll on tomorrow

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
6-0 rovers with both forwards getting 3 and no I've not been drinking or smoking stuff

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Just watched the Micky pre-match. I did think the reply to the question about subs was a little prickly, although he understood why fans were asking. There's no way of knowing if a change would have made a difference.

Also watched Simpson's pre-match interview. A dig at the stewarding last season and also remarks about our fans behaviour at that game. He made some similar comments at the time. Don't know about the first point, but would expect any manager with his experience to have a grasp of the high levels of emotion as things got out of control on the pitch.

Last edited: