• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v carlisle

Match result

• Rovers

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Carlisle

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v carlisle
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, April 2, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, April 2, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Hemmings has played far fewer games than Nevitt, so it is not a fair comparison. Look back over Hemmings's career and it is clear that he is a prolific goalscorer, and it is not as if he is past it. Hemmings also has a number of assists to his name, and is a better technical player than Nevitt.

I disagree about Maynard. Once he got fully fit just prior to Christmas he was scoring regularly, and he had actually scored fairly regularly in his earlier Pizza Trophy appearances. Nevitt offers more energy and physicality, but as a pure finisher Maynard is better.
Hemmings joined a couple of games into 2022 and I think has been in the starting xi every game, so played almost as many as Nevitt this year. While his track record is encouraging, so far his goalscoring record with us disappoints and most have been spot kicks. I'm content to persist with Kane for his other contributions and hope that he comes good again.

Maynard barely featured in the league before the Barrow game, when he scored his first league goal for Rovers and picked up the injury that's kept him out for the last 3 months. While, I don't always agree with Micky's team choices, think he got that one right. Hoping that he'll stick with Nevitt.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I do probably think he'll stick with Nevitt as I don't think Maynard is anywhere near match fit although I would prefer to have experienced players with a proven pedigree than a young lad learning his game at this stage of the season. We need goals and Nevitt wont give us the return we need.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Hemmings joined a couple of games into 2022 and I think has been in the starting xi every game, so played almost as many as Nevitt this year. While his track record is encouraging, so far his goalscoring record with us disappoints and most have been spot kicks. I'm content to persist with Kane for his other contributions and hope that he comes good again.

Maynard barely featured in the league before the Barrow game, when he scored his first league goal for Rovers and picked up the injury that's kept him out for the last 3 months. While, I don't always agree with Micky's team choices, think he got that one right. Hoping that he'll stick with Nevitt.
Maynard was nowhere near match fit in the early months of the season. He is 35 and did not have a pre season, so he was not really match sharp until November / December. We were playing with one up front in the early months, and Nevitt is obviously better suited to that role.

Nevitt obviously offers more in terms of industry, but Maynard is a natural finisher and they are in short supply in our squad. Maynard had scored a number of goals in the Pizza Trophy prior to the Barrow game, including one against Harrogate the week before. His goals to games ratio will be better than Nevitt's.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Say what you like about Nevitt, I still think he will finish the season as our top scorer - especially with Glatzel out and Hemmings being played in a secondary role. However, don't knock Hemmings. He has contributed the most assists, even more than Morris, who has played more than twice as many games.

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
I feel very envious of you all being at PP today for what is surely a pivotal game in our quest for promotion . Despite the disappointment of attending the past two games that we could and should have taken maximum points, am optimistic with the return of Jay Spearing & Kieron they can provide the fresh imputes to be the catalyst to launch another run of wins.
Well tell myself constantly this in an effort to believe rather than mistaken naive optimism!
Hope all get right behind the boys and enjoy the fact we are still in the mix.
No IFollow for me so look forward to any updates and match reports.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Think MM will be bold and ring the changes and start with Maynard (if he is remotely fit enough) alongside Hemmings with Spearing and Morris also coming back in. We need to be on the front foot for the remaining fixtures be they home or away and look to outscore the opposition rather than rely on a clean sheet and nicking one.
Carlisle are in reality surely safe and have won 4 of their last 6 even if most were at home so I don't feel that this will be an easy game for us given the intense pressure on the team. No one game ever decides a season but from my perspective this is 100% a must win if we are at least to make the playoffs.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
No one game ever decides a season but from my perspective this is 100% a must win if we are at least to make the playoffs.
Yes. If we can't get three points today, I think we need to reboot next season. We really need to win all our home games and pick up some points away from home. It is too tight up there and no room for error. I want to see plenty of effort and committment today.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
and some bloomin goals for the front lads would do fine 4-0 says the heart we all know it will be a sloppy rovers 1-0

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
In fairness, there has been no lack of commitment in the home games to date. The victories have generally been more comfortable than some suggest as well, with very few where we were hanging on to a one goal lead.

Our record at home since November reads:

Played 12, won 10, drawn 1, lost 1. Nineteen scored, seven conceded (and four of those were against Forest Green).

ADD

Player
Norwood
1648904571010.png

ADD

Player
Norwood
No jolley so Maynard must be fit enough assuming Jolley is not injured/ sick.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Glatzel apart, Micky has a full squad to choose from again. Is this a watershed moment in our season? Hopefully they can all start performing and stay fit.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
No Jolley or Foley on the bench. If he’s fit, surprised about Sam’s absence from the subs, because of his versatility. Spearing only makes the bench, wonder if still not 100%

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
if we could i would let Macca go now he is a waste of wage and space and we have better , good seeing the lads back in the middle of the park 10 -0 rovers we wish LOL

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Backs to the wall now down to 10 min, initial thoughts looked 2 footed but would have see replay for better look

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Didn’t look like a red but hard to see. Referee has been terrible and the game turned into a farce with numerous scuffles and yellow cards bandied about. Need to win this. Going to be an interesting second half.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I didn’t get a good enough view of the red card but was surprised the ref showed it given he’d let 2 or 3 yellows against their players go without sanction. Then sprayed around yellows like confetti in the aftermath.

How do we adjust to being a man down against a side who are physically stronger? Merrie doesn’t seem to be involved in the ht exercises so guess makeshift left back replacing Hawkes or Warrington.

Will have to work our nuts off to get anything out of this game now.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
1 1 best player on pitch by a mile scores for them, our away form come back haunt us big time