• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v carlisle

Match result

• Rovers

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Carlisle

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v carlisle
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, April 2, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, April 2, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
Think its fair to say we need to win this one no more FK ups our Away form is killing us and so is our lack of goals the 6 forwards we have scored a combined 19 goals between them which is pathetic, we have two young wingers who are not doing much at present, but I still think we will win this one hoping 3-0 for a change

Player
ian goodison
love your optimism AM but at times wish the season was over as it would be some sort of relief, still it isn't the rovers way of doing things, so will go for a 2-0 win

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, we need to come out and show we want this. 1-0 Rovers comfortably, but we will still struggle to score goals.

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
Would love to think that we will actually go for it and win 3-0 with loads to spare in the tank, but I think it is more likely that if we win it will be by a goal to nil, with the usual nervous last 10 mins.

Come on Micky, unleash them and lets win 5-2 or 6-3. no more of this 'lets just stop them scoring' approach please.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It will be interesting to see the team Micky selects.

Ideally, at home to relatively poor opposition I am sure he would want to start with two strikers in a 442, but McPake has been generally disappointing and probably won't be recalled on Saturday. Both Foley and Merrie played well last week, and with O'Connor and Spearing also available Mellon might be tempted to play three in midfield again, albeit using Hemmings as an inside forward on the right side is less than ideal. Perhaps he could go for a 4312 with Hawkes or Foley behind the strikers ?

Carlisle have been in strong form since the appointment of Paul Simpson, although most of their victories have been at Brunton Park. However, they are now effectively safe and had a poor result at Rochdale last night. It is a game we will surely win if we have the right mentality, which we generally have all season at Prenton Park.

It should be a decent crowd as Carlisle travel in good numbers and have already sold about 500 tickets. As Mansfield play Northampton at the weekend, a victory could even take us tantalisingly close to the top three.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
As Mansfield play Northampton at the weekend, a victory could even take us tantalisingly close to the top three
That would be a great physiological boost for everyone. Let’s do it Rovers!

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha love it unleashes it did you ever see the man play, no way just too defensive and boring,

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As RLC says the team selection will be interesting with spearing and O’Connor returning. As we’re at home I’d be tempted to go on the front foot and go 4-4-2. Usual back 4 with Hawkes and Mcpake playing wide with spearing and warrington in the middle. Hemings and Jolley up top. A tricky one as I’m a big fan of OConnor and Nevitt in his last home game did the business. Mcpake hasn’t been great but a winnable home game may get him going.

it’s obvious to say but we really need to win this. Games are running down fast. The late defeat at Colchester will have done some harm to confidence and we quickly need to get back on track

Player
Manager
John King
Good news, as Micky says Kieron Morris is now available. From his interview, I also would not be surprised if Maynard comes back into the side in the next couple of weeks.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Good news re Morris and maybe if we can get Maynard fit he could nick us a few goals

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think Carlisle are as good as safe but one or two points more would make it absolutely certain, so expecting a fairly tight game regardless of the Rovers line-up.

Morris being available is good news. While Maynard is a useful player to have on the bench to bring on, seen very little before his injury to make him worthy of a start. I don't think a pairing with Hemmings would offer enough variety up front either.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
can,t be any worse than the lads up top now non of them are scoring may as well play no one upfront and have an extra 2 in midfield

Reactions: Ian
Player
Manager
John King
I think Maynard could develop an understanding with Hemmings. They are both intelligent players and, despite his other weaknesses at the age of 35, Maynard is arguably the most natural finisher at the club.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think Maynard could develop an understanding with Hemmings. They are both intelligent players and, despite his other weaknesses at the age of 35, Maynard is arguably the most natural finisher at the club.
Yes I agree. If you look at their career history of Kane and Maynard both have plenty of goals. Compare that with Nevitt and Jolley…..(no disrespect meant).

Neither Hemmings or Maynard are particularly mobile but if you put balls into the box they should get on the end of them

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
Hemmings has done very little in my opinion. It is getting late in the season and we still have no idea what our first choice front pairing is. Surely that is something that is worked out on the training pitch. Having a first choice pair playing regularly is key to building an understanding. Its fine to bring lads off the bench, but again there needs to be that understanding of what role they are to play.

I am a big fan of pace, as it scares the hell out of defenders. Play with pace and you also have an out ball when you are under the cosh, rather than just hoofing it in the air and hoping the centre forward can hold it up.

Player
Manager
John King
Hemmings and Glatzel are the first choice pairing, but Glatzel is injured. The other strikers are much of a muchness, hence there is no obvious starting duo.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
yes but Even Hemmings has been poor ok we have not played to his strengths but he has still had games where he has been in good positions and still not done much, at least Nevitt chases and makes a nuisance of himself even if he is not scoring loads but he is top scorer which is not hard in this team

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Nevitt, who gets the same level of service as Hemmings has scored more goals than him from open play this year.

Maynard prior to his injury never looked like he was going to be prolific and some of his performances seemed fairly half-hearted.

Like it or not, currently our best chance of scoring in Glatzel’s absence is through Nevitt. I mention Glatzel as he seemed able to unlock Hemmings in a way others couldn’t.

Hemmings works hard and has supplied some assists since joining, so I would keep him in the team for that contribution. Maynard is an intelligent footballer, but one past his best and probably can contribute best coming off the bench.

Player
Manager
John King
Nevitt, who gets the same level of service as Hemmings has scored more goals than him from open play this year.

Maynard prior to his injury never looked like he was going to be prolific and some of his performances seemed fairly half-hearted.

Like it or not, currently our best chance of scoring in Glatzel’s absence is through Nevitt. I mention Glatzel as he seemed able to unlock Hemmings in a way others couldn’t.

Hemmings works hard and has supplied some assists since joining, so I would keep him in the team for that contribution. Maynard is an intelligent footballer, but one past his best and probably can contribute best coming off the bench.
Hemmings has played far fewer games than Nevitt, so it is not a fair comparison. Look back over Hemmings's career and it is clear that he is a prolific goalscorer, and it is not as if he is past it. Hemmings also has a number of assists to his name, and is a better technical player than Nevitt.

I disagree about Maynard. Once he got fully fit just prior to Christmas he was scoring regularly, and he had actually scored fairly regularly in his earlier Pizza Trophy appearances. Nevitt offers more energy and physicality, but as a pure finisher Maynard is better.