• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Brewers

Rovers v Brewers
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, September 21, 2019 - 07:45 PM
Until: Saturday, September 21, 2019 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Status
Not open for further replies.
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Maligned figures? What a wind-up merchant you are, RLC!
You're so tiring and incredibly dismissive of others' opinions. Your one-upmanship is frankly pathetic, 'chum'!

Life is far too short, however, to get embroiled in a weekly tit-fot-tat with The Pedant. You know who you are.....
Just repeating exactly what you did two weeks ago when Mullin scored. Or have you forgotten already ? He who casts the first stone......

Anyway, I stand by everything that I said, none of which was 'pedantic'.

Player
Manager
John King
This is my final post today. I'd like to thank all those decent Rovers fans here with whom I've had an enjoyable exchange of views.
I wish I could put you in the same category. All I have had from you since you appeared on this site, is a stream of provocative comments and name-calling.

I would suggest you are more circumspect about your comments to fellow users in future.

Me, I am going to enjoy our remarkable victory.

Player
Manager
John King
our three best chances fell to Mullin and the lad should have done better.
Payne had our best two chances on Tuesday night other than the goals. Swings and roundabouts.

To try and be objective (which could be dangerous) Payne looks much more like an eighteen-yard box player than Mullin, which is why his goal stats at his previous clubs have generally been better. Mullin has good workrate but a lot of that work is done outside the box, where most of his efforts on goal come from as well.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Well what a finish that was to what was a pretty poor game between two poor teams really.

I thought the first half was fairly even with Morris having a decent chance and they had a good chance which was put wide, the sub for them who wen up front was a handful and improved them going forward no end he held the ball up well and linked up play. We became more and more disjointed with the two injuries not helping, Ridehalgh moving right back for the last 20 minutes or so. The double save from Davies at 0 1 was crucial and to go on to win the game was fantastic.

On a down note Perkins has a hamstring injury and Ray a groin injury so will likely both be out for sometime

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Bit of a smash and grab that one but the three points are most welcome. Agree with bigmart regarding the injuries. I thought we lost our shape in the second and as RLC says we resorted to aimless long balls that the opposition eat up easily. When we tried to play it on the floor we did not have the quality to really trouble them. I thought Morris was poor today in particular. Manny was brilliant and even Ray had a decent first half.

The jury is still out with Payne IMO. Quite frustrating player to watch as he doesn't impress to watch but he does seem to have a habit of being in the right place at the right time so I cannot be too hard on him, he also puts a good shift in.

Wouldn't it be great to get back to back wins now and see us climb the table a little.

Player
Manager
John King
the sub for them who wen up front was a handful and improved them going forward no end he held the ball up well and linked up play.
Liam Boyce, I think. A Northern Ireland international who they paid a bit of money for when they were in the Championship. I thought Akins also had a decent game for them, up front and as an emergency right back.

I thought Ridehalgh had another good game today, his second in a week.

By contrast, Borthwick-Jackson was poor I thought. Not alert enough defensively at times and sloppy for the penalty. I won't judge him on less than ninety minutes though.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
All points however undeserved are welcome in our survival battle. Over the 97 minutes Rovers deserved a point, but if I were a Burton fan would be gutted to see my team come away with nothing from that game. That said, I was expecting more of them as a side and in the opening stages they seemed to play a lot of aimless long punts upfield before coming more it to the game with an expected passing game. In the opening half hour Rovers had the best efforts, a good cross from Banks not reached by Payne and a great ball from Potter just put the wrong side of the post by Morris. However, the visitors missed a one-on-one and were on the up going into h/t.

The injury at h/t to Ray threw us. Although Mullin missed a good chance early in the half, after that we became increasingly disjointed at the back with various changes to formation, which didn’t really do the trick. Banks at fault in the build-up and a poor challenge from Cameron-Borthwick, who did not impress on my first sighting, to give away the penalty comfortably converted by old-boy Akins. A fine save by Davies, kept us in the game, a difficult decision by Micky re which substitute to use for the final throw of the dice and who to bring off. As it happened, I’m not sure either were key, with Blackett-Taylor making some good runs without much end product replacing Potter, who had a steady game but wasn’t going to change things. Mullin won the free-kick that Banks converted and Morris supplied the cross that Danns initially and Payne ultimately converted. So two others who’ve been criticised a bit above, also contributing to the win.

I was surprised at the sponsors picking Banks as MoM. They must have had telepathic powers given the part he ultimately played in the win! I did feel, especially once Perkins went off, that there was a lack of midfielders offering themselves for the pass. We missed the work-rate of a Connor Jennings too. Agree with RLC on Monthe as MoM.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Payne absolutely worked his plums off on Tuesday, as did Mulls. Without that sort of effort Posh could have strolled it.
Yes, your strikers are there to score goals but equally they're your first line of defence.
I've no problems with Payne keeping a shirt.
I wouldn't say Ollie is maligned but jeez, you really don't know which Ollie is going to turn up.
When he lined up that free kick I predicted the third up B&M sign behind their goal such has been his track record with dead balls. How wrong!
Given the injury to Perkins, signing Danns looks like a good bit of business now.
And Gilmore will get back on bench Boz!
Not the same tempo and interplay as Tuesday but Burton weren't as adventurous as Posh. Average.
Three points out of nowhere....happy days.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We have scored twice in every home game (except Bolton), always late but never before this late! It's exciting but as others have said it's also worrying. However, only three to go down this term and surely there are three teams worse than us.

Player
Manager
John King
We have scored twice in every home game (except Bolton), always late but never before this late! It's exciting but as others have said it's also worrying. However, only three to go down this term and surely there are three teams worse than us.
We might not be desperately looking for three teams worse than us. I was concerned a week ago, but the last seven days have been very encouraging. We have gone toe to toe with a team tipped to win the league and beaten a likely play off contender. Clear signs of progress.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We might not be desperately looking for three teams worse than us. I was concerned a week ago, but the last seven days have been very encouraging. We have gone toe to toe with a team tipped to win the league and beaten a likely play off contender. Clear signs of progress.
I find it hard to gauge the standard at this level. On that showing, Burton didn’t look like a play-off contender. Given Peterborough and Oxford’s contrasting fortunes this weekend, maybe some re-evaluation called for with them too.

The fact that we are down to the bare bones defensively does give cause for concern, irrespective of the excellent team spirit shown in the last two games.

Player
Manager
John King
I think Peterborough will definitely be in the promotion mix, while Burton might be a top half side. However, there is no question they are two solid outfits at this level and we would not have been capable of taking points from them six weeks ago.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Wow! Where to start! The match. At the start bestst 25/30 minutes I've seen this season. We were sharp and closed them down completely. They must have really wondered why we were near the foot of the table. Thereafter they pretty much ripped us to shreds. We tired quickly and they found spaces all over the park. I'm not sure that the CBJ/Ray change helped us but Danbs and CBT certainly did - in fact I love Neil Danns already! We really didn't deserve 3 points today and, roles reserved, I'd be travelling home thinking wtf. Great free kick by Ollie but he did owe us one after the Burton goal. Whilst rarely feeling so elated about a win I think this was less to do with a never say die attitude than circumstances/luck. For me Manny mom, Morris a great first 45 and everybody put effort in; but still scared that we will do anything more than struggle at this level. Apart from the match, I'm really upset to see Johnny leave the forum - there has got to be space for all opinions. I enjoyed seeing Johnny's views and would be glad if he reconsidered. It is all about opinions and I'm sure that we all appreciate that there is no right or wrong.

drwhoman

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but it is how it is worded. Some exchanges have bordered on the personal. We are all Rovers fans and should show respect to the views of others.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
ONIGP, while I thought Danns looked good on debut, unsure that he was an upgrade on Perkins on this performance. He didn’t contribute so much in the defensive third, while Perkins is a great talker on the pitch and the loss of shape in the second half may be in part down to his absence.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I don't think Danns was fully match fit so whilst I thought he had a solid debut there will be more from him to come.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I find it hard to gauge the standard at this level. On that showing, Burton didn’t look like a play-off contender. Given Peterborough and Oxford’s contrasting fortunes this weekend, maybe some re-evaluation called for with them too.

The fact that we are down to the bare bones defensively does give cause for concern, irrespective of the excellent team spirit shown in the last two games.

With the attacking talent the have Peterborough should certainly be in with at least a shout of the play offs, Burton on the other hand besides a couple of players don't look to have that much and will struggle to score goals, as for Oxford what a week and day for them

Reactions: Boz
Player
Manager
John King
ONIGP, while I thought Danns looked good on debut, unsure that he was an upgrade on Perkins on this performance. He didn’t contribute so much in the defensive third, while Perkins is a great talker on the pitch and the loss of shape in the second half may be in part down to his absence.
I think they are completely different players in fairness. Danns is much more attack minded and actually posed more of a threat round the box than the strikers had prior to him coming on. Although we were right to switch to 442, I think Potter going off also affected the shape of the team as there was nobody to sit in front of the defence.

Player
Manager
John King
Wow! Where to start! The match. At the start bestst 25/30 minutes I've seen this season. We were sharp and closed them down completely. They must have really wondered why we were near the foot of the table. Thereafter they pretty much ripped us to shreds. We tired quickly and they found spaces all over the park. I'm not sure that the CBJ/Ray change helped us but Danbs and CBT certainly did - in fact I love Neil Danns already! We really didn't deserve 3 points today and, roles reserved, I'd be travelling home thinking wtf. Great free kick by Ollie but he did owe us one after the Burton goal. Whilst rarely feeling so elated about a win I think this was less to do with a never say die attitude than circumstances/luck. For me Manny mom, Morris a great first 45 and everybody put effort in; but still scared that we will do anything more than struggle at this level. Apart from the match, I'm really upset to see Johnny leave the forum - there has got to be space for all opinions. I enjoyed seeing Johnny's views and would be glad if he reconsidered. It is all about opinions and I'm sure that we all appreciate that there is no right or wrong.
I do disagree that the victory was down to luck, as coming from losing positions to draw or win in four of the last five games surely can't be a coincidence. If nothing else, I think the victory shows that fitness levels in the squad must be high.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.