• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Brewers

Rovers v Brewers
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, September 21, 2019 - 07:45 PM
Until: Saturday, September 21, 2019 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Status
Not open for further replies.
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Another tough game for Rovers, against a side tipped to challenge for the playoffs. Burton probably are not quite in the same class as Peterborough, but still have recent Championship experience and some familiar names in their squad, such as Brayford, O'Toole and our own Lucas Akins. They come to Prenton Park unbeaten in seven games and are yet to lose away from home.

I think we will stick with the 352 formation and the same personnel as Tuesday. After the Rotherham draw, we stuck with five at the back against Gillingham and the formation was ineffective, but I think Burton will be close in style to Peterborough, coming to Prenton Park to play football and attack us, and hopefully the system will work this time. We desperately need to pick up a home victory ahead of very tough trips to Ipswich, Coventry and Sunderland, but we will have to play very well to get three points. I am not sure it is possible for us to match the intensity of Tuesday night's performance, but we have to get close to the workrate we showed against Posh and move the ball as smoothly and rapidly.

Prediction: I think we will take something from the game, watched by a crowd of 6,000 - 6,500, with 300 or so from Staffordshire.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Agree with everything, RLC, except that most of their fans live in Staffordshire, where the team is based. ;)

Reactions: Boz

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I just hope we see the same effort and desire on Sat and then I know we will be in a game and anything can happen. I think we may be giving some of these teams a bit too much respect. We had Peterborough and Gillingham on the ropes at times when we upped the tempo.

Player
aldo
yes mm keeps saying abt the tempo they have set the bar they need to keep it to it end of . ok there are gonna be days when we cant get to those levels but we have to try to keep them there

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I was looking at the reports of our previous FL encounter on here, a 1-4 defeat at the time when we were plummeting out of the league under Adams. Hopefully this game is a more enjoyable experience, whatever the result. Though I’d like that to be better too.

Lucas Akins still plying his trade at Burton and involved in the build-up to both their goals in the midweek draw at Pompey. He got unfairly slated by some during his time with us, but has had a decent career and still the potential to be an awkward customer.

Injuries aside, presume it will be an unchanged starting xi. I wouldn’t have gone for that line-up against Peterborough but given how we expect the visitors to play, would agree with stability. Perhaps make more use of the bench, especially considering the high energy nature of Tuesday’s game.

I’d agree with a turnout around 6.5k including a decent number from Burton. Very hard to call the result, so I’ll chicken out.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
My memory of Akins was him standing on the right touchline and our keeper (Fon Williams?) hitting every goalkick at him.
He either missed it and was slated or miraculously kept it in, but not to a white shirt, and was still slated!

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Following on from Boz and CK, Lucas really has had a really decent career at Burton Albion. An ever present in the side over his entire 5 seasons with Albion, he has scored 44 in 205 matches (source Wiki), as well as being voted Supporters’ and Players’ Player of the Year for the past two seasons. And, at 30 years old, he is still in the first flush of youth by comparison with some!

If we can pick up from where we left off on Tuesday night, I'm confident we'll secure the 3 points. But that's a big if with this Rovers side!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Think we can win this im going for 2 1 with a crowd of around 6500

Player
Manager
John King
A statement of the obvious, but we need to score the first goal today. We need to see what we can do when we actually take the lead in a game.

Reactions: Ian

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
No surprise re line-up. Need something out of this one and feeling less confident as ko approaches.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Bit boring this one. Hope it ignites second half.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Fairly even first half, with Rovers having 2 good chances and Burton having a penalty shout (impossible to judge from my position) and putting wide from a one-on-one. Some oddball decisions from the ref, though so far nothing crucial.

Presume Perkins done a hamstring pulled up when on a run into their half in added time.

Player
Manager
John King
A pretty dire game but a huge victory in the context of our season. On ninety one minutes I was seriously wondering whether we have enough about us to survive this season, as the second half performance had been really poor, but once again Rovers demonstrated their never say die spirit to rescue victory from a seemingly impossible position. You can question the quality of this group of players at times, but not the team spirit.

I thought the first half was fairly even, with no great opportunities for either side and the two teams effectively nullifying each other with their five men in midfield. However, after half time we completely lost our way and Burton deserved their lead: there were too many aimless long balls, with the three central midfielders underused, a lack of creativity around the eighteen yard box, and a failure of the two strikers to get hold of the ball and link the play when they did get reasonable service. However, the last five minutes made up for all of that.

I thought Manny was clearly our best player and most of the others were below par. However, I was particularly pleased that it was two of the maligned figures - Banks and Payne - who scored the vital goals. We have been told by some that they have little value and should be marginalised, but for the second time in a week Ollie produced a sublime moment of quality to get us back in the game. He is not consistent enough to do that every match, but he is one of few players in the squad with that kind of ability. Similarly, it was Stefan Payne who was the Johnny-on-the-spot for the winner, again demonstrating his predatory instinct in the six yard box, as at Rotherham a few weeks ago. His current goals return of three from six games is decent.

Elsewhere, I thought Danns had a great debut, playing a part in the goal and unlucky not to score with a couple of other good chances. CBT was also lively when he came on.

We are now up to eighteenth place in the league, and a points return of four from the two home games this week is certainly better than I expected.

Last edited:
Player
Johnny Morrissey
However, I was particularly pleased that it was two of the maligned figures - Banks and Payne - who scored the vital goals. We have been told by some that they have little value and should be marginalised, but for the second time in a week Ollie produced a sublime moment of quality to get us back in the game. He is not consistent enough to do that every match, but he is one of few players in the squad with that kind of ability. Similarly, it was Stefan Payne who was the Johnny-on-the-spot for the winner, again demonstrating his predatory instinct in the six yard box, as at Rotherham a few weeks ago. His current goals return of three from six games is decent.

Maligned figures? What a wind-up merchant you are, RLC!
You're so tiring and incredibly dismissive of others' opinions. Your one-upmanship is frankly pathetic, 'chum'!

Despite being a technically gifted player, Banks has been generally awful... until the last couple of games. Today he was back to his better self. His sending off seems to have done him a world of good. And Payne remains a passenger in most games, as he was today, until his all important winner. With the exception of a half-attempt by Morris at the near post, our three best chances fell to Mullin and the lad should have done better. We started well but our fizz deflated as the match wore on. We were awful in the second half and, frankly, pinched the three points. Whatever the scoreline might suggest, we really didn't show a never-say-die-attitude. We offered little until the 92nd minute but, happily, we "got out of jail for free".

This is my final post today. I'd like to thank all those decent Rovers fans here with whom I've had an enjoyable exchange of views.
Life is far too short, however, to get embroiled in a weekly tit-fot-tat with The Pedant. You know who you are.....

Status
Not open for further replies.