• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Bradford

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Bradford

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Bradford
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Tuesday, September 13, 2022 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, September 13, 2022 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
They were quite poorly defended goals. I thought Doohan had quite a poor game too. Struggling to command in the air.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Micky critical of the centre halves with their goals. Byrne has done ok this season but cookie was too good for him tonight.
Was Byrne playing on the right side of the back three in this game?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think he was on the left.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I’ve not seen any of the action yet and going on what I’ve read don’t have any great urge to do so.

It sounded like a rerun of the Stevenage game, dire first half where Rovers were lucky only to be one goal adrift, better second half but we didn’t take our opportunity to get a grip of the game only to fall to a sucker punch. However the stats suggest that Bradford deserved the win.

It’s a shame about Glatzel but I don’t think he should have been anywhere near the starting xi until his fitness was established. We also played with 2 defensive midfielders at times last season. It is time to try a combo of O’Connor and Merrie, both who are capable of playing the ball on the deck. Perhaps Hughes instead of McAlear, who, like Doohan, is starting to give the impression of being an undroppable sacred cow.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think he was on the left.
The Orient game showed that Byrne on the left would not work. As Micky seems hellbent on playing a trio of central defenders with not a left-footer amongst them, he needs to take some responsibility for his selections.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The Orient game showed that Byrne on the left would not work. As Micky seems hellbent on playing a trio of central defenders with not a left-footer amongst them, he needs to take some responsibility for his selections.
The squad was clearly constructed with the intention of playing wing backs. Not solely Mellon's decision again I would imagine.

I don't think Byrne playing on the left of the three had anything to do with the outcome.

Player
Manager
John King
I’ve not seen any of the action yet and going on what I’ve read don’t have any great urge to do so.

It sounded like a rerun of the Stevenage game, dire first half where Rovers were lucky only to be one goal adrift, better second half but we didn’t take our opportunity to get a grip of the game only to fall to a sucker punch. However the stats suggest that Bradford deserved the win.

It’s a shame about Glatzel but I don’t think he should have been anywhere near the starting xi until his fitness was established. We also played with 2 defensive midfielders at times last season. It is time to try a combo of O’Connor and Merrie, both who are capable of playing the ball on the deck. Perhaps Hughes instead of McAlear, who, like Doohan, is starting to give the impression of being an undroppable sacred cow.
We deserved something from the game on the balance of play and chances, and the second half was much better than the Stevenage game. However, naivety cost us, again.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Just watched the highlights. Cook completely unmarked for the first, right in the centre of the box, Doohan flaps at it, easy header for Cook. Great finish from Hemmings for the equaliser, setup nicely by Lewis, wish we could see more of that and the third, again poor defending. Turnbull completely misses the ball coming in, Cook gets inbetween him and Byrne to head home, Doohan no chance. With three central defenders, we have to be doing better.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The recruitment has been pretty poor but ultimately the manager takes responsibility fir the way we play how we play etc, it's supposed to be a high defensive line, a high press and risk taking with build up from the back and yet we rarely see any of that.
Micky has his way and in the football league it is hard working tough to beat with an experienced squad, it's never going to be what was said. It's only early days but I don't see us being anywhere near the top end of the table and I don't see Micky being manager next season and doubt he will see the season out.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
4 of our next 6 league games our away with our away form being as bad as it is we could be in a really position soon.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Cook completely unmarked for the first yes but shouldn't have mattered as Doohan was there but did nothing. He actually stepped back to allow Cook a free header and never got his hands above head height. He was not blocked in any way but made no attempt to punch/ catch the ball. MM hinted as much in his post match interview when Derek mentioned the Keeper as well. Has no confidence still and having seen Hewelt this season I would put him in for Saturday.

Biggest issue for me however is despite what some are saying about us having young players/ lack of experience/ not the players that MM would have brought in etc. etc. is the fact that the players simply don't seem up for it. Once again MM mentions several times that the tempo (effort I would say) was simply not there in the first half. Why is the big question? What is going on - that they seem to need a rollicking at half time every game. Not acceptable.

Glatzel feel ever so sorry for the lad but crazy decision to have taken the risk on him when we already had Mumbongo so fragile. Sounds as if it will be long time/ over for Glatzel with us based on MM's comments after the game.

On the plus side lovely goal from Hemmings set up by Lewis and he had a couple of other good efforts so hopefully his confidence that was surely waning is restored. Also Morris may be fit enough to be on the bench next Saturday - he is sorely needed.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A few additional comments.

Boz mentioned Byrne playing on the left. A few times he didn't look comfortable making a forward pass so turned and went back to Doohan. Not ideal but with Jameson injured someone had to play there. Although I think Turnbull may be left footed so could have played there but I guess Micky didn't want Byrne or Simeu as the central defender who may have had to deal with Cookie. In the end it didn't matter.

Re Doohan. I was surprised that 1. we brought him back and 2. he wanted to come back. He was dropped last season at a crucial time for a 40 year old in Murphy. Can't have done his confidence much good. Joe showed he was sill capable and I would have been happy with Murphy and Hewelt as our keepers, especially as we lost a lot of experience so Joe would give us that. I'm still not sure Doohan has the personality or confidence. He is rarely vocal and doesn't command his box too well. His kicking was poor last night and he's 24 now so not some nervous 19 year old on loan from a top flight club. Not all will agree but a questionable wage when Murphy was perfectly adequate. Questionable recruitment in my view.

The problem last night was their early goal and how our heads went down. We had no leaders out there to rally the troops. Ok we went 1-0 down but there were still 85 minutes to play and for the rest of the first half we were very poor. I don't want to keep mentioning last season but we would have had Clarke, Spearing, Foley, Murphy getting the lads going. Ok they all leave, but to not replace them with those sorts of leaders was a mistake - again recruitment. None of Byrne, Turnbull, Lewis, McAlear or Bristow seem to have that sort of personality to lead - yes a couple are young lads but not all.

As ADD says you have to feel sorry for Glatzel, but was anyone really surprised? Instead of signing him and Mumbongo, both who came to us injured, we could have signed one fit half decent striker on their two wages, and had Hemmings, Nevitt, Burton and AN Other. In his short cameo young Jake did ok last night but signing unfit players is again a recruitment issue.

I'm a big fan of Morris but I'm not convinced he alone is going to turn round our form of 5 defeats in 8. As bigmart says with 4 out of 6 games on our travels, things are looking grim at the moment. I'm going to Salford but only because I've got free hospitality tickets.

I'm not sure Micky would resign if things get worse. He moved coach and horses down to the Wirral when he came back. Of course people often make the point you should never go back and whilst still early days, things aren't looking good. I think Palios would be more likely to sack him if we ever got to a position where we were worried about a return to the national league.

As for Palios, as RLC has hinted my guess is that it was him perhaps persuaded by Vaughan to go down this route of young players and signing players for 5-3-2. Micky has always has his lieutenants and leaders like Scottie, McNulty, Clarke, Spearing etc. And has mostly been a pragmatic manager - which has served him well generally. Pre season Micky almost suggested this when he said something like 'don't come complaining when we're playing all this attacking football and getting caught out' - clearly not his approach. Ironically we haven't really seen that overall in the 8 games, and Vaughan has now jumped ship, but that whole policy could see Micky out of a job as unfortunately for him, that's where the buck stops.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Isn't there another q and a soon with Palios, a good chance for some real questions to be out forward though more likely it will be a load of spin.

Player
Manager
John King
Just reflecting on last night, seven of the starting eleven had played only one full season of professional football, or less, and all three players that came off the bench - Glatzel, Hawkes and Burton - also fit into that category. It is not rocket science to see where our problems lie and why we can't manage games.

It is the most inexperienced squad we have had since 2014-15, and given what happened in that fateful season it is surprising Palios has gone down that route.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Isn't there another q and a soon with Palios, a good chance for some real questions to be out forward though more likely it will be a load of spin.
Tweet from NP
.@markpalios1 and I will be holding the next supporter Q&A session in person at Prenton Park at 6pm on 23rd September. We are looking into whether we can also livestream for those not able to attend

Could be some tough questions from the floor.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Just reflecting on last night, seven of the starting eleven had played only one full season of professional football, or less, and all three players that came off the bench - Glatzel, Hawkes and Burton - also fit into the category. It is not rocket science to see where our problems lie and why we can't manage games.

It is the most inexperienced squad we have had since 2014-15, and given what happened in that fateful season it is surprising Palios has gone down that route.
Yes and given how close we were last season to the play offs, it makes you scratch your head why we totally changed policy on age and experience. At this level you need your senior pros. I’m a fan of Palios and what they have done for the club overall but this seasons approach looks to be totally wrong, even if and when Morris and Davies are fit

Player
Manager
John King
The recruitment has been pretty poor but ultimately the manager takes responsibility fir the way we play how we play etc, it's supposed to be a high defensive line, a high press and risk taking with build up from the back and yet we rarely see any of that.
Micky has his way and in the football league it is hard working tough to beat with an experienced squad, it's never going to be what was said. It's only early days but I don't see us being anywhere near the top end of the table and I don't see Micky being manager next season and doubt he will see the season out.
I think we do press, as we did in the second half last night, but only for periods of games not ninety minutes. A lot of that is down to inexperience and inconsistency.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Just watched the highlights back. Doohan at fault for the first but cookie had a free header.
A good move for our equaliser but both Lewis and Nevitt should have hit the target with headed chances after that. Toothless really.
Their winner was cookie getting in between the centre backs and when you play 3 of them there can be large gaps for forwards to get into.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
at the end of the day, its the Managers job to organize the team and motivate them when he said at Orient he does not know if he can do that what message does that send out, starting to get that feeling that he needs to move on and we need someone who has worked with younger teams , I love what Micky has done in the past but watching that last night Nevitt looks like he could play all week ant not score Kane does very little but did take his goal well and thats his first in 9 games so he might have 8 come the season end after the next few weeks with so many away games coming up we will be in the bottom 3 if something is not done soon and it will affect the home attendance like some I dont get to go often and it pisses me off seeing shit like the first half like last night Rant over

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Another managerial sacking today with Huddersfield axing theirs. I’m not saying Palios will but clubs are close to that 10 games period when chairman start evaluating the first part of the season