• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Boreham Wood

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Never have I been so frustrated at Prenton Park. Just when you think things can't get any worse after last season, we lose to Boreham Wood of all teams.

Where to start. Apart from the opening 5-10 mins there was no real tempo. You wonder whether the players thought it would be easy. Like a testimonial. GB has to take some of the blame I think:

1 - We have a good attacking centre mid at this level in Maynard - and he plays him on the left where he is totally unsuited. This is partly to accommodate Jenno who was poor and should not be in the starting 11 imo. Simply not good enough and past it. Maynard clearly no has no confidence now and it reminds me of Micky playing Rory Donnelly out wide last season - square pegs in round holes
2 - You bring Blissett on who won lots in the air - but by playing a 4-3-3, the other 2 strikers could not get close to him as they were too far out wide. Our most naturally gifted goalscorer in Mangan spent most of the 2nd half on the left touchline.
3 - Ridehalgh ended up in the middle. The only player we have capable of decent delivery so he needs to be wide. Against Halifax I wasnt fussed with Liam on the right and Maynard on the left. However Liam set up the goal and Maynard did cut in a few times and hit the target. And we won. Today they had swapped and Maynard offered nothing & Liam was poor overall.

I think we have a decent attack and decent defence overall but GB has not got the midfield balance right at all and today it cost us with other results not going our way. Jenno is no leader and his record over the last couple of seasons speaks for itself.

I also wonder whether Davies should have kept out the first but the lad was in exactly the same position Ridehalgh was in the first half. He put his foot through it and scored. Liam's was a backpass.

Rant over.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
That was terrible in all honesty. Wrong tactics and poor performance from the team. BW grew in confidence as the game went on and we just got worse. We hardly tested their keeper all game. That's very poor. Sadly, I still don't think we have enough quality in the final third. We've been scrapping 1-0 wins, hardly banging them in and we got caught out today.

There is huge expectation on Rovers to do well this season, whether that's fair or unfair, that's how most supporters see it, thinking we are going to roll over teams every week, hence the mass exodus.

You have to accept we are going to lose games, but when they play so poorly, it's hard to swallow. We need more creativity in the team otherwise this is going to be one very frustrating season. I don't think Mekki and Margetts are good enough in their roles. Blissett is simply a huge target man with the touch of an elephant. In think we'll be moving backwards steps if that continues.

I still maintain the defence is quite solid and can mostly hold its own against these teams but the midfield and forwards have to play much better.

Very disappointing.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
You have to accept we are going to lose games, but when they play so poorly, it's hard to swallow. We need more creativity in the team otherwise this is going to be one very frustrating season. I don't think Mekki and Margetts are good enough in their roles. Blissett is simply a huge target man with the touch of an elephant. In think we'll be moving backwards steps if that continues.

I think Margetts is a good player but the service to him was non-existent today. I don't remember a single decent ball into the box from a wide area, and there was not much creativity in midfield either. All the more reason to play Maynard centrally and get some genuine width on the right. I agree about Blissett.

I do think some supporters need a reality check, and today's result might have done us some good in that regard. We are bound to lose games at this level and by definition those defeats will be upsets. BW were of a similar standard to many teams in this division, so I still don't really understand the crowd's reaction at full time. Did Wrexham fans react that way when they lost to Bromley, Grimsby fans at Altrincham, and so on ?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's the manner of the defeat which rankles. If we'd gone down to a streaky og or a worldie out of the blue, it would be easier to live with. Instead, most of the side played with passionless apathy throughout, we hardly had any attempts on goal, a Mekki daisycutter was the closest we came second half and Boreham Wood took full advantage of our mediocrity, grew in confidence and deserved their win. While personally I don't boo the players off and only leave early to catch the last mid-week train, fans who have paid the hike in prices for a promise of a top four budget are totally entitled to show their disapproval with their voices and their feet.

The reality check is needed by those who think that everything in the garden is rosy. Brabin likes the long-ball approach, as demonstrated by recruiting Blissett and the likes of Sutton, who today, at least, seemed incapable of passing out of defence or carrying the ball, every balls a hoof ball. Mekki may not be great, but he's the only width we've got on the right and Ridehalgh who offers similar on the left shouldn't end up in central midfield as he did. Both of their goals came from our right flank and should have been defended better. There was very little teamwork, even in the period before the substitutions and formation changes. It is early enough to turn things around, but Brabin must address the defects, pick players in position and use some of the remaining budget now rather than wait until it's too late.

Player
Liam Palmer
First game of the season and my analysis: Rovers were garbage. No fight or passion, no width in the first half. Weird tactical changes. Too many players not bothered, by the look of it or happy to pass the buck. All too depressing and too familiar from last season. I applauded BW off at the end - that's how you battle and organise - well done them.

Don't have a go at fans who booed or left early. This was terrible fare. We have a right to criticise after the final whistle.

Not sure if this squad can turn it around, very doubtful on this performance. Embarrassed to be a Rover tonight, hope the team feel the same!

Next 2 games mean everything now. No margin for error!

Reactions: Boz
Player
Manager
John King
The reality check is needed by those who think that everything in the garden is rosy.

Where did I suggest everything is rosy ? It is not, but it is not dire either. Today we were crap. The first four games were not bad, and we are fifth in the league.

There are some predictably over the top and hysterical reactions above. This squad does not have anything like the attitude of last season's bunch from what I have seen. The next two games are season defining ? No, they are not, but we will be better than we were today.

We are a Conference side, and we will lose to Conference teams. If every defeat is met with the histrionics of today, I regard it as pretty pathetic (and patronising to Borehamwood incidentally). Having a top four budget does not guarantee a victory in every game, common sense tells us that.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Where did I suggest everything is rosy ? It is not, but it is not dire either. Today we were crap. The first four games were not bad, and we are fifth in the league.

There are some predictably over the top and hysterical reactions above. This squad does not have anything like the attitude of last season's bunch from what I have seen. The next two games are season defining ? No, they are not, but we will be better than we were today.

We are a Conference side, and we will lose to Conference teams. If every defeat is met with the histrionics of today, I regard it as pretty pathetic (and patronising to Borehamwood incidentally). Having a top four budget does not guarantee a victory in every game, common sense tells us that.

Where do I suggest you did?

This side looked like they'd never played together, there were a few little fall-outs on the pitch Sutton-Riley and Mangan-Hill, just before Andy took the worst throw-in ever, which I suppose shows some spirit, but some of the players looked indifferent.

Forest Green Rovers are a Conference team too and their form is such they haven't dropped a single point yet; it's not mandatory to lose games.

I don't get your lack of empathy for fans, who were justifiably irate with the 'garbage' to use TT64's description served up in this game. Rovers didn't even go down fighting and to my mind, that's unacceptable.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
An awful performance where we got what we deserved nothing, passing was dreadful then when Blissett came on we just hoofed it too him.

We need to look at the midfield and the lack of balance as there is nobody on the right.

Need to get on the front foot early in games and have a good go at the opposition which in the 3 hame games we have failed to do so far.

Player
Manager
John King
Where do I suggest you did?

I referred to the supporters needing a 'reality check' which you quoted in your next post, suggesting that uncritical fans needed to look at themselves. I don't want to be petty but your comment was clearly directed at me.

I have plenty of empathy with fans - I am one - but a lot of Tranmere supporters are unrealistic in their expectations this season. We are in a crap league and we will lose to crap teams. You refer to Forest Green winning every game. They have, but former league clubs like Wrexham, Grimsby and Cheltenham have not. Should their fans be irate ? If we behave like big time Charlies we will be set for many disappointments this season.

I agree with Mart's post above. Sums up the present situation nicely.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It will be interesting to see if anything changes between now and the next game as clearly there's still work to do. I also thought we were too reliant on Ridehalgh yesterday. He had a lot of the ball but did nothing with it.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I referred to the supporters needing a 'reality check' which you quoted in your next post, suggesting that uncritical fans needed to look at themselves. I don't want to be petty but your comment was clearly directed at me.

I have plenty of empathy with fans - I am one - but a lot of Tranmere supporters are unrealistic in their expectations this season. We are in a crap league and we will lose to crap teams. You refer to Forest Green winning every game. They have, but former league clubs like Wrexham, Grimsby and Cheltenham have not. Should their fans be irate ? If we behave like big time Charlies we will be set for many disappointments this season.

I agree with Mart's post above. Sums up the present situation nicely.
I'm sorry that you interpret my comment that way, because it was not the way it was intended. I was, using diplomatic language, exasperated with your crticism of those fans who'd expressed with their voices and feet their view of the mediocre performance. I didn't class you amongst the group of uncritical fans needing a 'reality check', as your initial post-match remarks clearly showed an awareness of our failings against Boreham Wood.

All fans are irate when we lose to some extent, it's the nature of the beast. Most are realistic that we will lose some games during the course of the season, though it is in theory possible to go through a season unbeaten, other than Arsenal I can't recall it happening in recent years. Re-iterating my remarks of yesterday, it's the spineless manner in which we lost, rather than the fact of losing which is the concern.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I agree Boz. I can accept losing as long as the players have put a shift in. I certainly didn't see this team of 'winners' GB has been talking about. But.. It is only one game so there's still plenty of time to put things right.

M

Mal

Based on Woking and Braintree (no longer live in Birkenhead so make do with odd trip to PP and away matches I can drive to), we seem to have good individuals but to real teamwork at the moment. Other teams in general have players from last season so are hitting ground running.
I think Harris should be Captain and Jennings dropped to see if we can do better without him. I think it will take a good 10 more games to get anywhere near performance as a team.

To be honest , even premiership teams struggle to perform as a team when they have very expensive players.

I think the team needs some extra friendlies behind closed doors to learn to gel. I am not sure we can expect a virtually new team to excel immediately.

M

Mal

I went to Braintree game. There were s number of 'sing when we are winning, slag off when we are not', there was very little encouragement . I cannot make as many home games as I used to nowadays so cannot speak for Borehamwood game. However, I will say that there was not a team out there against Braintree. There were11 individuals . early days but I don't think Jennings is a good enough captain. I would make Harris csptainand even drop Jennings so he can get fit. At least. He didn't look peak fitness to me. I think the reality is that it will take a third of this season to gel and we may find it will take till next season to get out of this league. My hope is we at least finish on a winning streak to encourage support for next season. As it stands. Borehamwood was a lesson as to where we really are. Early days with a virtually new team. Better goalkeeper than last few years ;0)

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Mal, its a lack of balance in the team and playing at such a slow tempo and also hoofing the ball forward that is the big problems rather than the team gelling

M

Mal

Mal, its a lack of balance in the team and playing at such a slow tempo and also hoofing the ball forward that is the big problems rather than the team gelling
I think team gelling is s shorter way of saying exactly that

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree totally with Mal about dropping Jenno. Since his return to the club our loss rate is alarming. Not all his fault of course but I think he is well past it and not captain material.

Add to that as I've said previously. Maynard will do well given a central attacking role with Harris alongside him but sitting a bit deeper. Maynard has been poor out wide and his confidence must be very low as a result.

Captain for me would be Harris or Hogan/Sutton.

Player
Manager
John King
I'm sorry that you interpret my comment that way, because it was not the way it was intended. I was, using diplomatic language, exasperated with your crticism of those fans who'd expressed with their voices and feet their view of the mediocre performance. I didn't class you amongst the group of uncritical fans needing a 'reality check', as your initial post-match remarks clearly showed an awareness of our failings against Boreham Wood.

Sorry I overreacted somewhat to your comments, no offence taken. We would not want this site to degenerate to the same level as the other two.

I don't really share Mal's assessment of the situation, as I think the work ethic has been there other than on Saturday, it is quality in the final third that is lacking. I agree totally with Mart that it is the lack of balance in the side that is the problem.

I also think Jenno should be dropped now. He started the season ok, but went missing in the last two games, shades of his mediocre performances in the last two years. As others have pointed out Maynard's confidence is completely shot due to being played out of position. If we are looking to be more creative we should put him in the middle and get some genuine width on the right.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
RLC, totally agree about dropping Jennings and give Maynard a run in the middle, what worries me is that this is the obvious solution that's easy too see but can Brabin see it and make the tough call