• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Boreham Wood

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I haven't delved into the history books but I'm assuming this is our first ever match against a side promoted from the conference south last season. Their average attendance last season was less than 400 so they won't bring many.

Boreham have 1 win and 3 defeats so far with the former being a 3-1 win over our recent opponents Halifax. Former rover Danny Woodards should start who I think most rovers fans felt had talent but who has always had injury issues.

Rovers made no subs on Tuesday so fitness permitting I expect an unchanged line up and if we can create as many chances as we did on Tuesday, we should win this game comfortably.

I'm gong for a 2-0 win with Mangan and Margetts on the scoresheet although an early goal or two for us could see a decent score line and once again a decent atmosphere.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
http://www.borehamwoodfootballclub.co.uk/match-preview-tranmere-rovers-vs-boreham-wood/

I have attached above a nice match preview from the Boreham Wood website. It is good to see that their fans are excited about their first visit to Prenton Park; I particularly liked the reference to Rovers as one of the 'great British sides'. :)

By all accounts our opponents have played well in their opening games and will be no pushover. Against Forest Green on Tuesday they hit the woodwork three times and were apparently the better side. However, as Sparky says above, if we match the performance level of the Halifax game I think it is a match we can win comfortably.

I would start with the same eleven as Tuesday but with Ridehalgh and Maynard swapping sides, or perhaps even Jenno moved out to a narrow position on the right so Lois can play centrally.

I would take another 1-0 but it would be nice to knock in a few goals at home. I predict another excellent attendance of 5,000 plus.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree pretty much with what's been said. The Wood have started better than expected although key midfielder Billy Clifford banned for this game, they do have Danny Woodards ex Rover in defence. Let's hope that match preview inspires a few more of their support to make the trek up north.

I hope that Brabin has taken note of what didn't work on Tuesday and sets the side up as RLC suggests.

Prediction: Crowd of about 5.2k to see Rovers in narrow win.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Thanks RLC for that bit of research. I particularly liked the tone of the article, a man genuinely excited although with a generous definition of the word "recent" when referring to our FA Cup victories over Everton and Southampton! This is their "Cup Final", so I'd expect them to give 110%. Although I believe we should and will win, a victory for the away team would be possibly the greatest day in their history, their equivalent of our win at Goodison Park. That's their incentive and why so many easy games on paper will be so tough.

On a more positive note, I think we have had the most impressive results in the NL so far this season. We have beaten two of the other teams currently in the top five. Gateshead and Woking lost to us but have won their other three games and are now just one point behind. The only team above us, Forest Green, have won all four games, but all their opponents are in the bottom half of the table. Wrexham, who lie just behind us in third, have played three of their games against teams in the bottom five (including a defeat at Bromley). I hope you follow all that! It's early days, but already I think there's genuine cause for optimism.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
On a more positive note, I think we have had the most impressive results in the NL so far this season. We have beaten two of the other teams currently in the top five. Gateshead and Woking lost to us but have won their other three games and are now just one point behind. The only team above us, Forest Green, have won all four games, but all their opponents are in the bottom half of the table. Wrexham, who lie just behind us in third, have played three of their games against teams in the bottom five (including at defeat at Bromley). I hope you follow all that! It's early days, but already I think there's genuine cause for optimism.
Makes interesting reading, thanks :)

I'm predicting another frustrating afternoon where again we are massive favourites and the onus will be on us to attack and score a few. Not so easy when sides play tight and make it difficult. Having said that, we are doing well and we'll get better. I think Mangan will improve more with fitness after a few games so expecting a lively game from him. Agree about swapping Maynard and Ridehalgh.

drwhoman

Is Sparky psychic or what?! Rovers sign 6ft 3in centre forward on loan! Luther Blissett's nephew. Now he was a powerful forward.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
You wonder where this leaves Cole's chances of much football this season. He may not even make the bench once Norwood is fit.

Credit to Palios I think as he could have said to GB we'll bring in another striker if and when we stop winning games as we have started well. But another option is good with another player part of a promotion winning team from the national league.

Player
Manager
John King
With Norwood injured and Mangan still not 100% fit, I would guess Brabin thought he had to bring someone else in as cover. It is only a one month loan so Stockton is not frozen out completely, but I am still not convinced he is going to make it.

Player
Manager
John King
On a more positive note, I think we have had the most impressive results in the NL so far this season. We have beaten two of the other teams currently in the top five. Gateshead and Woking lost to us but have won their other three games and are now just one point behind. The only team above us, Forest Green, have won all four games, but all their opponents are in the bottom half of the table. Wrexham, who lie just behind us in third, have played three of their games against teams in the bottom five (including at defeat at Bromley). I hope you follow all that! It's early days, but already I think there's genuine cause for optimism.

Yes, really interesting comments. Generally speaking, I think having the strongest defence (at present) stands us in good stead. Wrexham and Grimsby have been blowing teams away at home, but have also been liable to concede sloppy goals away from home against weak opposition.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We still have a few forwards to choose from. Not sure we really needed a loan signing at this stage. I'd rather we use players we have at the club otherwise there really is no point in having them in the squad. Not sure where this leaves Stockton. I'm sick of seeing loan players.

I really don't think they help with settling a side and should only be used in real emergencies. We have Mangan who is almost fit and is OK to play, Margetts is OK and Stockton sitting on the bench. And I'm sure Maynard could play up there if needed as he doesn't seem shy in having a crack at goal.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I tend to agree with Ian about loan players. However, Margetts is reported to have picked up a knock and fear Norwood's going to be our resident sick-note, so perhaps an understandable move by Brabin.

drwhoman

I agree that loan players are not a preferred option but Boz has a point. Blissett might also give us an attacking alternative. After all, only Mangan of the attacking forwards has scored this season.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
This is the problem. He might give us an alternative, but for 4 weeks! Then we go back to our original lineup. Sorry, I just dont like these short term loans. Well, it will be interesting to see how he is used and what impact he has.

Player
Manager
John King
This is the problem. He might give us an alternative, but for 4 weeks! Then we go back to our original lineup. Sorry, I just dont like these short term loans. Well, it will be interesting to see how he is used and what impact he has.

I am with Ian on this one. Our injury problems are not that great at the moment, and Mangan, Margetts and even Cole are all capable of scoring goals at this level. Added to which, Blissett's goalscoring stats are quite poor, about one in five or six.

Short term loans like this one also make it difficult for the fans to become familiar with and develop a relationship with players, a major reason for the negativity around the club prior to this season.

Anyway, Blissett will give us something slightly different so we will see how it goes.

Player
Manager
John King
A dismal day for Rovers. The result is obviously very disappointing, but we are bound to lose games and Boreham Wood were as capable as the teams we had played previously. Congratulations to them, as this must be one of the best results in their history. The reaction of some of our fans at the end was pathetic, with the mass walkout after the second went in.

However, the performance level was concerning and in all honesty, this result has been coming, as you can't expect to grind out 1-0 wins every week. We have to have more punch in the attacking third and we need to take the initiative in games.

In the first fifteen minutes we played some decent football without really creating anything. However, midway through the half we lost our way and BW began to really frustrate us with their 4-5-1. The service in to the front two was not good enough and the passing was poor. Fundamentally, the team looked unbalanced. Maynard was awful at right midfield and our only attacking threat came down the left through Ridehalgh, who is himself a converted left back. We need more variety and more options in our creative play when teams come to PP and I think the side is crying out for some genuine pace and width in the final third.

In the second half BW were the better side. We changed formation twice and I don't think either system worked. I was not impressed by Blissett when he came on, as he was slow and had quite a poor touch, but we did not help him by hoofing a lot of long balls in his direction. He did not link up with Mangan or Margetts in the front three and, perhaps unsurprisingly, they played like strangers. When we went to 4-4-2 we were marginally better, but it was too little too late.

The only bonus today was that a few other sides in the leading group dropped points, although Wrexham and FG continue to win.

Certainly food for thought for the manager before Altrincham.