• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers old boys

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
There seems to be a very unhealthy devide between Micky and the fans.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
There seems to be a very unhealthy devide between Micky and the fans.
Yes and if he doesn’t leave before the season starts, he won’t get much time if they start the season poorly.

A shame if it did happen as he’s an expert at getting teams promoted from those sorts of levels as we know

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Unlike Nigel, Micky is the type of manager who doesn’t make an immediate impact on a new club’s fan base. However, if he’s successful, he will always be revered and respected. It took a while for him to build his relationship with the SWA, but I wonder if he’ll get that time at Oldham.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I don't think that is actually true. He was a popular appointment in his first spell here and made an impact pretty much immediately, on and off the pitch. One of his most significant contributions was rebuilding the trust between the club and the fanbase which had been eroded by his predecessors.

The current events at Oldham are not really in keeping with his earlier career.

On a side note I noticed Oldham have arranged six of their seven pre-season friendlies, with the seventh TBA for July 30, away from home. Curious to see if it’ll be against us, although I somehow doubt it will be.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
On a side note I noticed Oldham have arranged six of their seven pre-season friendlies, with the seventh TBA for July 30, away from home. Curious to see if it’ll be against us, although I somehow doubt it will be.
Unlikely since in most friendlies the lower ranked team is at home.

Reactions: Boz

ADD

Player
Norwood
Agree if Mellon genuinely made those comments then he has made a rod for his own back. As Sparky said he will need to quieten the doubters early in the season as given their horrendous finish last season (1 win in 14 or 15) the knives will be out for him early doors if they start badly as he clearly was not popular with the fans last season with "style of play" constantly being mentioned (sound familiar?) in addition to that awful run.
TBH he has his work cut out as Oldham have unbelievably 19!! players retained under contract many of whom he has already said aren't good enough and many of whom looked to have downed tools last season by all accounts. That means he clearly is reliant on the owner agreeing to pay for contract terminations etc. or being able to offload players who likely are on big money by NL standards. Norwood one of those I read rumoured to be interested in getting out but with another 2 years on his contract....

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Good luck getting rid of Norwood on his wages, we cudnt afford him and a lot of league 2 sides be in same position never mind National League teams

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It’s always difficult trying to work out what’s happening at another club. I went to watch Oldham fairly soon after MM
was appointed, it was a decent game against one of the NL sides Altrincham who play football and the Latics fans I chatted with were happy with his appointment and fairly realistic about their prospects for last season. Having got them into a play-off position, the end of season run was a car crash. A bit like his last full season at Rovers, where after the home thrashing by FGR, we slid down the table and out of the top seven. Lack of defensive cover, injuries and Breakspear were all factors then, with only the first being avoidable. Don’t know what the factors in the Oldham slump were. The thing in Micky’s favour is the chairman isn’t trigger happy, but with the Latics reportedly having the highest budget in the NL and the number still under contract ADD highlights, there won’t be much wriggle room.

I always thought Micky had a reasonable rapport with the SWA, remembering him applauding us at the end of a game when we’d beaten his Shrewsbury side. He’s an instinctive pessimist which I can relate to :) By contrast, Nigel’s optimism didn’t always match what we were seeing on the field, particularly in the early stages, but his positivity seems to have worked well in getting the best out of most of the squad.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Played 37 games for Stevenage League 1.
7 goals and a few assists.
Take him back as second or third striker behind Norris and ano?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Similar record to when he was here. No thanks although we’ve had worst strikers.

Unlikely since in most friendlies the lower ranked team is at home.
Indeed, although by no means always, as we’ve seen ourselves in recent years (Warrington coming to PP, for example).

But I’m curious not so much about a friendly in itself, but because whether we play or Oldham or not would give a further possible little clue about the state of relations between Mellon and Rovers. Sacking a manager doesn’t necessarily lead to animosity, especially when it’s someone who’s achieved a lot for the club, but I’ve always sensed his departure was acrimonious, and I don’t think he even said goodbye to the fans. Any lingering animosity on ether side would be a very sad state of affairs, so a pre-season friendly with Oldham might’ve suggested things are alright now. On the other hand, not arranging such an obvious fixture might suggest quite the opposite. Anyhoo…

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Reece McAlear signs for Livingston. Initial one year deal with an extra year if they get promoted.
A shame it didn’t work out for Reece as he had potential. Hopefully going to Livingstone where he previously had a good loan spell will kick start his career

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Kompany is appointed Bayern manager, but the latest reports suggest Mike Jackson won't be joining him in Munich.

overthewater

Player
chris malkin
Apart from a few bright moments for us, I just don't think he was good enough. As always, time will tell.
Never played for Livingston before. Was on loan at ICT and Ayr before. Ayr fans were glad to see back of him so not a given that he'll make an impact with another club in the same division