• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers old boys

drwhoman

The Wilson at Salford never actually played for us. I think you might be confusing him with Kane Wilson, who is still at Forest Green.
I was thinking more of future strikers RLC although you have probably seen him for Salford and might have a different view. All I know is that he was quite highly regarded at one time - ex Man U.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I always enjoy this time of year when players are released by clubs. Lost of clubs are releasing at least a dozen players with the likes of Colchester unable to keep decent players like Harry Pell or Gambin. Will be interesting what happens with our own squad

Player
aldo
well we need to be looking at doing business early, but it never happens like that 1 thing for sure we need at least two forward options to help Vaughn out and push him a little more

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think we will be quite seriously delayed in our recruitment this summer. Our involvement in the play offs means other clubs have a head start on us, in addition to which I doubt we can make many, if any, decisions until we have a new manager.

I don't think we can do much about the situation unfortunately.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Another factor is if we were interested in approaching a NL manager like Dave Challinor, their season runs on for almost another month after the L2 matters are resolved. Whoever the next manager is will be on the back-foot to those clubs in a stable position, who've already started their recruitment plans. For example, Harry Pell, who Sparky mentions is going to Accrington. Despite all these difficulties, still prefer being in the play-offs and with a current management team, who'll give us a better chance of going up than under Hill. However, whichever league we are in next season, I would prefer it if Mark dampened down on expectations.

Player
Manager
John King
Another factor is if we were interested in approaching a NL manager like Dave Challinor, their season runs on for almost another month after the L2 matters are resolved. Whoever the next manager is will be on the back-foot to those clubs in a stable position, who've already started their recruitment plans. For example, Harry Pell, who Sparky mentions is going to Accrington. Despite all these difficulties, still prefer being in the play-offs and with a current management team, who'll give us a better chance of going up than under Hill. However, whichever league we are in next season, I would prefer it if Mark dampened down on expectations.
I think if Dawes or Challinor got the job permanently, Palios could emphasise that we are building for the medium term and the majority of supporters would come aboard. However, I think promotion from League Two would always have to be a stated target.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think if Dawes or Challinor got the job permanently, Palios could emphasise that we are building for the medium term and the majority of supporters would come aboard. However, I think promotion from League Two would always have to be a stated target.
I'm unsure how much it assists stating targets. It would depend on the squad assembled, though even with this season's squad, does it actually help saying that we should be title contenders or just add extra pressure?

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I'm unsure how much it assists stating targets. It would depend on the squad assembled, though even with this season's squad, does it actually help saying that we should be title contenders or just add extra pressure?
It's almost irrelevant whether he says it or not since the majority of our fan base will be expecting a promotion challenge. On that basis it would be very disappointing if promotion wasn't a stated target.

Player
Manager
John King
I am sure that when Palios stated that we should be challenging for the title it seemed a reasonable proposition given the wage budget and quality of player we attracted.

I think it is important that Palios demonstrates the club still has ambition. If that means challenging for the top seven under a less experienced manager, rather than the expectation of a title bid, I think the majority of supporters would accept it, provided there was evidence of progress in terms of the quality of performances.

ADD

Player
Norwood
It's almost irrelevant whether he says it or not since the majority of our fan base will be expecting a promotion challenge. On that basis it would be very disappointing if promotion wasn't a stated target.
Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on what you thought of it) there is no salary cap next season so the money bags teams will have an even better opportunity than they did last season when they brought in players early before it came into effect. So whilst we might be able to benefit from a bigger squad and spend a bit more several other teams eg Salford will be spending a hell of aq lot more.
Going up this season would therefore be a great result and allow the new Manager to consolidate for a season or two in L1 with less pressure.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on what you thought of it) there is no salary cap next season so the money bags teams will have an even better opportunity than they did last season when they brought in players early before it came into effect. So whilst we might be able to benefit from a bigger squad and spend a bit more several other teams eg Salford will be spending a hell of aq lot more.
Going up this season would therefore be a great result and allow the new Manager to consolidate for a season or two in L1 with less pressure.
@ADD, I was referring specifically to the expectations if we don't go up this season. After 2019-20, I 100% agree that a stated aim of consolidation if we did go up would be expected and accepted.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
When we returned to the FL, while most of us were confident of staying, up, there was uncertainty as to how we'd fare and don't recall many predicting another promotion. Norwood adapting to a higher level and some astute signings helped. After the demotion, we assembled a very strong squad and an automatic spot seemed a fair aspiration. However, of those remaining, a number are out of contract, some coming towards the end of their careers and a significant re-building exercise awaits. If we get a squad of sufficient calibre together, then Rovers should be in contention for promotion from L2. I agree with both ADD and ONIGP that promotion this season would be the best outcome, we build a better squad than last time in L1 and consolidate our place at the next level. I also agree with ADD that the lack of a salary cap will allow those moneybags teams like Salford and Stockport, should they come up, to spend big and I am unsure that Rovers have the finances to compete at that level of expenditure, though this season's table clearly demonstrates money isn't the only factor in deciding promotion.

Caught the end of the Stockport v Torquay game and Liam Hogan still impressed.

Player
Manager
John King
I would expect that we will still be able to compete for a play off place at least, even after the removal of the salary cap. That is certainly what Palios indicated in the recent Q and A.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
When we returned to the FL, while most of us were confident of staying, up, there was uncertainty as to how we'd fare and don't recall many predicting another promotion. Norwood adapting to a higher level and some astute signings helped. After the demotion, we assembled a very strong squad and an automatic spot seemed a fair aspiration. However, of those remaining, a number are out of contract, some coming towards the end of their careers and a significant re-building exercise awaits. If we get a squad of sufficient calibre together, then Rovers should be in contention for promotion from L2. I agree with both ADD and ONIGP that promotion this season would be the best outcome, we build a better squad than last time in L1 and consolidate our place at the next level. I also agree with ADD that the lack of a salary cap will allow those moneybags teams like Salford and Stockport, should they come up, to spend big and I am unsure that Rovers have the finances to compete at that level of expenditure, though this season's table clearly demonstrates money isn't the only factor in deciding promotion.

Caught the end of the Stockport v Torquay game and Liam Hogan still impressed.
I always liked hogan. A leader and a non nonsense defender

Reactions: Boz
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Rumours in the Daily Record that Micky Mellon could be on his way back to us. No idea of the truth of it, but I think it would be immense.
The fact that the rumour comes in a Scottish newspaper adds a bit more credence to the story, but who knows? Micky sounds happy at his new club. He hasn’t had a bad first season - comfortable mid table and a cup semifinal. But I don’t know what the fans or the owners make of him. If I had anything to do with it, I’d certainly give him another year.

A Mellon-Dawes partnership might work, but it might not and what if Micky wanted his own team? Then again, would he want to return here or would he prefer a different challenge in a higher league?