• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers old boys

drwhoman

We are in strife and it needs quick action. Mind you - what about York. Losing 6-1 at Guiseley. No wonder their fans were enraged! On the issue of loanees not being available Guiseley have signed a swag in the last few weeks. Who have we signed? Essentially kids - Jones, Osborne, Tollitt with a mixed pedigree. We cannot expect them to make a real difference. The problem is that we are not attractive to those of better quality for whom the National League is the footballing death zone.

Reactions: Ian
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Jake Cassidy scored for Guiseley for the second game running today. Good to see he is doing well there and hopefully he can get his career back on track.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Aaron Cresswell called up for England:)

Reactions: Ian

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Great news and well deserved. I'm amazed Liverpool don't go after him with Moreno and Milner their current left back options plus an injury Prone Joe Gomez.

Assume we don't get any cash from this?

Player
Manager
John King
Great news. First ex-Rovers player (home produced) to play for England since Steve Coppell.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Another goal for Jake Cassidy on Saturday and a missed pen too!

Perhaps more interesting is Ian Sharps has left Chester today and taken up a first team coach role at Walsall on a 3 year contract. Good luck to him.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Great news and well deserved. I'm amazed Liverpool don't go after him with Moreno and Milner their current left back options plus an injury Prone Joe Gomez.

Assume we don't get any cash from this?

If he plays we get 20% of any profit that Ipswich get

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
And he's on.. made up for him.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Poor Aaron. Comes on with England two up and both Spain's goals come down the left side.

Not much he could about the second but was too far forward for the first when they should have shut up shop.

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, I agree with Sparky regarding the first goal. He had not had many touches of the ball and probably got a bit excited and wanted to get involved.

Still great to see him on the pitch though, particularly against such illustrious opposition. Only seems like five minutes since he was scoring at Dagenham !

drwhoman

Ronnie Moore led Eastleigh to a 3-1 win at Swindon. The more games our competitors have to play the better. Unkind I know. Barrow won as well.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Sounds like Max Powers time at Wigan isn't going great at the moment from the Wikipedia page on him

"Power was a vital part of the 2015/16 campaign for Wigan as he scored some crucial goals towards their promotion. However, in the 2016/17 season. He has been unable to carry on his form and is now useless and somehow hasn't been dropped from the starting 11"

Player
Manager
John King
I think as a club they have struggled to adapt to a higher level of football, so it is strange to single Max out. Max aside, Wigan are not a club I have much time for to be honest; basically a rugby town where the football club was promoted way above its natural level by the spending of Dave Whelan.

Elsewhere, the natives at Eastleigh seem to be getting restless as a result of their recent form under Ronnie. I like RM, but I think he is past his best now and I am not convinced they will even make the play-offs this season. I think their policy of signing up ex-Football League players looking for a final payday has not worked for them.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I didn't think he'd done too bad at Eastleigh? True they threw a lead away to a decent Gateshead side on Saturday but they won at L1 Swindon in the cup and I don't think he's lost too many games since he was there?

Player
Manager
John King
I think they have only won once in the last six games in the league and have fallen off the pace a bit. I am probably being a bit harsh on Ronnie, but I get the impression that these days he has a short-term impact and then form flattens out. He has not really had a good full season since his second spell at Rotherham.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'm not sure Max Power's all-round game is good enough for more than a L1 side. That said, I haven't seen him play since leaving Rovers and would doubt he's single-handedly to blame for Wigan's struggles this season.

Thought it was strange Ronnie going to Eastleigh, out of his comfort zone geographically and at a level where he's not much experience. A club I've little sympathy for.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
This sums up RM pretty well.
In fairness, this is true with many managers. Some have minimal impact (Rob Edwards, Micky Adams), others last two/three years (Ronnie, Les Parry, Brian Little), while a select few last longer (Johnny King, Bill Shankly, Matt Busby).

Player
Manager
John King
Jack Mackreth was excellent for Macclesfield tonight in the Cup and was interviewed on the BBC at the end of the game. For a club with limited resources, Macc play some great football.