• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers old boys

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Holmes and a fit McGurk would be of interest. Agree with Boz OFW and Davies on a par. At their best I would prefer the current squad.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I was quite a fan of OFW, but I think Davies is the better all round keeper. He certainly has much better communication and command of his box.

Equally, players like Cook and Norwood surely have the potential to achieve more than ex-Rovers like Gornell if they continue to progress.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
You could add Will Vaulks to the list, although he never got a chance under Ronnie, but having played north of the border, now has a deal at Rotherham. Surprised Danny Holmes hasn't got himself fixed up somewhere, having turned down a new contract at Newport. While I'd agree with BBTC that in general that list shows how far we've fallen, there are one or two close calls. Not much to chose between OFWand Scott Davies, while I'd argue McNulty edges the battle of the Macs.
I can now add Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro, just signed for Barnet.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I really liked Akpa Akpro and thought he had a lot of potential.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Quick and strong and arguably was at his peak with us in that 6 month or so spell when he was up front with a ruthless Cassidy along with the likes of Robbo and Wallace in great form and Ben Gibson on loan from boro at the time.

Player
Manager
John King
Johnny Margetts signs for Scunthorpe. Good luck to him, but this seems a strange transfer. He is only third choice at Lincoln and has not even had an extended spell at Conference level yet. Still, it removes one of our rivals' better players.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Seems like a bit of a panicky buy from Scunny. Big jump for Johnny, good luck to him.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Good luck to him, but I think he may have been better advised to fill his boots at Lincoln first. I fear he may end up benchwarming.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Margetts; the fact that a L1 side were willing to pay a fee for him coupled with the fact he'd already notched up a few for the Imps this season reinforces my view that Brabin's judgement was flawed over Jonny. However, have my doubts that he'll make much of an impact at that level.

See Jake Cassidy's been released by Oldham. Wonder if he'll re-surface on the south coast, as Ronnie got the best out of him.

drwhoman

Interesting re Margetts. Best of luck to him and one decent striker no longer with a rival!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
No surprise about Cassidy. He rarely featured at Oldham last season and has been warming the bench this season. He's had a strange career since he left us, didn't score many at Southend either in L2. I hope it works out for him as he was a goalscorer.

Like others I was a fan of Margetts but I'm not sure about L1. He scored 5 of course for the imps in one game, started the next, and was then dropped on Monday. A bit strange but again good luck to him.

I was hoping Danny Holmes would have found a club by now but it seems not.

Player
Manager
John King
I rated Margetts, but there is no way he would get in our current side ahead of Cook, Norwood and Jennings; they are all better players than him. Even at Lincoln he was only third choice and I doubt he will play many games at Scunthorpe.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
No surprise about Cassidy. He rarely featured at Oldham last season and has been warming the bench this season. He's had a strange career since he left us, didn't score many at Southend either in L2. I hope it works out for him as he was a goalscorer.

Like others I was a fan of Margetts but I'm not sure about L1. He scored 5 of course for the imps in one game, started the next, and was then dropped on Monday. A bit strange but again good luck to him.

I was hoping Danny Holmes would have found a club by now but it seems not.

Isn't Danny at AFC Fylde and on our coaching staff?

Player
Manager
John King
Isn't Danny at AFC Fylde and on our coaching staff?

Yes.

Out of interest, I also read today that James Jennings wanted to come to us from FGR in the summer but our offer came in after a deal with Cheltenham had already been agreed. He would have been a great addition at left back.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Had a quick look at the Cheltenham boards and JJ doesn't seem to have made the best of starts with the Robins, so his agent engineered the loan move to Morecambe. FL sides are bound by the tranfer window for loans, so better for him to be getting games than sitting on their bench.

Despite Jeff Hughes' good showing at left-back covering for Liam, I'm still a bit surprised we've not brought someone else in for that position.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Crazy night for Rovers old boys scoring:

- Ryan Lowe
- Chris Dagnall
- Cole Stockton
- Margetts
- Taylor Fletcher
- Jake Cassidy
- Steve Davies
- Myrie Williams

Player
Manager
John King
I can't believe Cassidy is now playing for Guiseley. His tumble down the leagues has followed our own !