• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (3) v Harrogate (0)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Harrogate

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (3) v Harrogate (0)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Tuesday, August 15, 2023 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, August 15, 2023 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Overall, it was a decent performance from Rovers. All the goals were quality finishes and there were some good performances, notably from Norris, Jennings and Taylor, who did quite a lot of defensive work as well as further up the park.

I've only seen brief highlights of the other games this season, so viewing this on IFollow was my first chance to watch the full match. I did feel that the timing and choice of subs in the second half was a little puzzling, we were looking quite jaded midway through the second half. Gareth Roberts, who was co-commentator and seeing Leake for the first time, felt that Jake didn't make the best use of space and attacking options tonight. .

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Last edited:

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Overall, it was a decent performance from Rovers. All the goals were quality finishes and there were some good performances, notably from Norris, Jennings and Taylor, who did quite a lot of defensive work as well as further up the park.

I've only seen brief highlights of the other games this season, so viewing this on IFollow was my first chance to watch the full match. I did feel that the timing and choice of subs in the second half was a little puzzling, we were looking quite jaded midway through the second half. Gareth Roberts, who was co-commentator and seeing Leake for the first time, felt that Jake didn't make the best use of space and attacking options tonight. .
It was great application all over thr pitch tonight Boz.
I agree with many of the lads that Norris was mom tonight, but felt Davies and Morris were great to.
I thought Leake had a good game tonight, but granted he made a couple of wrong calls when in possession in their half. However he always threatened.
Disappointed to hear about the boos directed at Lewis' introduction. I did hear Dawsey tell the lads to 4231 with Lewis and Hendry sitting, with Sam sent wide left.
Sam does indeed have areal goal threat and played well tonight. I'm glad Dawsey got Hawkes on when he did as Taylor looked knackered.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King

I thought Gareth Roberts was talking absolute rubbish about Leake to be honest. Perhaps a bit of jealousy in his comments.

I have been impressed by Leake in every game so far, and thought he did well going forward and defensively last night.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Did what we needed to with some excellent play in the first half. Needless to say they came out much stronger in the second half but we defended well and they didn't have much. Think we have had 3 good performances on the bounce now - not perfect yet but much better. Liked the fact Dawes said after he didn't want to grind out results he wanted us to perform. A refreshing change from the dour football seen over the past 3 seasons - the first half especially was enjoyable to watch as was the second against MK despite not scoring.
Have to admit I was wrong re Jennings. I thought his signing was a bit of a "nostalgia" signing and would be bench material but he was excellent last night. Norris was excellent also and I thought Taylor was again very good although perhaps lacking a touch of ambition on a couple of occasions when he checked back. He is a real prospect and will learn so much playing with Norris/ Dennis et al - looked tired before he was subbed so of course will need to be managed.
Only two downsides - Dawes said after Saunders is out for several weeks with an ankle injury which is a shame and the idiotic booing of Lewis by some fans. Hope it won't be repeated.

Player
Manager
John King
Liked the fact Dawes said after he didn't want to grind out results he wanted us to perform. A refreshing change from the dour football seen over the past 3 seasons
I actually think that comment does a disservice to the previous manager. Mellon could only work with what he had, and his attacking options were not comparable to the relative riches we have now.

I don't accept that many of the performances under Mellon were 'dour' anyway. In any case, football is about results and points are not won for artistic impression. Despite the limitations of his squads, Mellon had us in contention for promotion in his first season and kept us well clear of trouble last year.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm not sure the booing re Lewis was as bad as some are making out. I heard a few groans but that was from the JK Stand.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I'm not sure the booing re Lewis was as bad as some are making out. I heard a few groans but that was from the JK Stand.
Yes it was by no means a lot but on such a positive night it was something I didn’t expect. Hopefully water off a ducks back for Lewis who was hardly a fans favourite on his first spell with us.

I’ve said before I do wonder if Micky is looking on thinking about last season even before we signed Saunders when our strikers were Hemmings, Burton, mumbongo and Jolley. Nothing like what we have now. We also had poorer goalkeeper options compared to what we have now so we can’t really compare Micky and Dawes as they had very different squads. Micky did grind out some narrow wins but that was a lot dependent on what he has at his disposal.

Anyhow onwards and upwards

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We had Nevitt until January and he had come off the back if a not bad first season with us, unfortunately he didn't kick on and indeed se to go backwards

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
I thought Hendry had a really good game and because of his enthusiasm and hard work meant that the full backs especially Leake could get forward.
If those front five (ish) with Hawkes being rotated and fluid around Norris, as the striker, this would give us so many options in and around the box. And with Jennings, Taylor, Morris and Dennis in support moving into different attacking positions either narrow or wide, is what Harrogate couldn't cope with first half. I mean who attacks with seven options trying to get into the opposition penalty box? Even second half, I wasn't worried much even though their pace was dangerous!
I thoroughly enjoyed last night and the atmosphere and match were a fitting tribute to Ben Harrison!

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
I think everyone would like to see a Norris and Dennis front two given a go. Me too.
Q. What formation and what would the midfield be to achieve it?
I've tried, but struggle to come up with the answer.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I thought Gareth Roberts was talking absolute rubbish about Leake to be honest. Perhaps a bit of jealousy in his comments.

I have been impressed by Leake in every game so far, and thought he did well going forward and defensively last night.
Jealous because he's no longer playing? I can't see someone who's had a decent career including a few years in the second tier of English football with Rovers being jealous of a player who's only starting out on his football career and it's less than a fortnight since his first FL game.

Like Gareth Roberts, it was my first time seeing Jake Leake in action. Defensively, I thought he did a decent job and on the whole managed to keep the pacy Folarin under control. However, I did think there was some validity in the points Gareth made about his attacking play last night. Maybe Jake was wary about letting Folarin get away if he tried something more adventurous, which didn't come off .and prioritising his defensive duties.

I think he’s slotted in well.

He doesn’t have the pace of Bristow but he‘s no slouch and looks a tidy player. Not having that extra gear might well prevent him making it in the Championship but not L2.

Player
Manager
John King
Jealous because he's no longer playing? I can't see someone who's had a decent career including a few years in the second tier of English football with Rovers being jealous of a player who's only starting out on his football career and it's less than a fortnight since his first FL game.

Like Gareth Roberts, it was my first time seeing Jake Leake in action. Defensively, I thought he did a decent job and on the whole managed to keep the pacy Folarin under control. However, I did think there was some validity in the points Gareth made about his attacking play last night. Maybe Jake was wary about letting Folarin get away if he tried something more adventurous, which didn't come off .and prioritising his defensive duties.
Jealous in the sense of being needlessly critical of a promising young player who plays in the same position as Roberts once did but is out there on the pitch expressing himself, while Roberts spends his Tuesday evenings sitting next to Adam Siddorn.....

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Jealous in the sense of being needlessly critical of a promising young player who plays in the same position as Roberts once did but is out there on the pitch expressing himself, while Roberts spends his Tuesday evenings sitting next to Adam Siddorn.....
If you’re saying that Gareth Roberts would rather be playing, then I suspect you’re right. Ex-players often act as pundits on the commentary, but it would devalue their role if they were limited to making positive remarks. While Alex Hay is probably my favourite of the ex-players used, never had any issue when Gareth is pundit. On this occasion, the points he raised about Jake Leake’s attacking play seemed fair to me. While it is all about opinions, I feel those of an ex pro left-back who’s played to Gareth’s level carry some weight.

Player
Manager
John King
If you’re saying that Gareth Roberts would rather be playing, then I suspect you’re right. Ex-players often act as pundits on the commentary, but it would devalue their role if they were limited to making positive remarks. While Alex Hay is probably my favourite of the ex-players used, never had any issue when Gareth is pundit. On this occasion, the points he raised about Jake Leake’s attacking play seemed fair to me. While it is all about opinions, I feel those of an ex pro left-back who’s played to Gareth’s level carry some weight.
He was needlessly singling out Leake for criticism purely because he had played the same position. A case of being a clever dick.

There was nothing wrong with Leake's performance on Tuesday night and his displays so far have been impressive, at both ends of the pitch. League Two footballers are not perfect, and Jake's performance was no worse than the experienced players who Roberts decided to exempt from criticism.

Personally, I am in favour of giving promising youngsters all the encouragement they need.

Reactions: Ian