• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (3) v Harrogate (0)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Harrogate

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (3) v Harrogate (0)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Tuesday, August 15, 2023 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, August 15, 2023 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Is tomorrow a must win game? Of course not, but even a draw would mean only 1 point from the opening 9 available. We could really do with beating Harrogate. The players will have taken some confidence from the second half performance on Saturday, but they’ll know like we do that it’s results that matter and sooner or later Dawes needs to pick up some points. After finishing 19th last season the visitors started this league season with a decent away win at Doncaster but lost at home to FGR on Saturday. In between that they had an impressive cup win against Carlisle. A bit like barrow, Harrogate have some decent attacking players in Muldoon and Odoh and although Luke Armstrong has upset his employers by requesting a transfer, he’s still a handful.

As for ourselves I’m expecting LOC back in at right back. Morris and Hendry still in the middle but Jennings to replace Lewis. Whether that trio gives the back 4 enough protection remains to be seen but hopefully us being at home it won’t matter too much. I’m hoping Hawkes will be back in the attacking three and I’d like a start for Dennis although whether Norris is fit to play after 90 minutes on Saturday will be interesting given his recent injury. Taylor might come back in to the starting eleven too.

Prediction: a home win to get our league season started.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think we'll win this one to kick start the season. The lads have had a couple of competitive games together now and there were really promising signs in the second half on Saturday. I just hope we do not waste another 45 minutes experimenting. Let's get at them from the off. I agree with @Sparky, I would keep LOC at RB and get Jennings into midfield. I'd be disappointed if Lewis is picked again. I think we also need to accomodate Dennis as he seems to not have a 'fit' yet.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Just thinking, trying to come up with how we can win this one!
How refreshing, that we have a lot of choices and attacking options!
Starting eleven and bench!

Still have concern about right back and defensive midfielder.

I think that we may scrape this one, maybe a 1-0!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We really need to win this one to get our season up and running, I fancy a 2 0 win.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think Dawes will actually stick with the 442 diamond that played in the second half on Saturday, probably with similar personnel, rather than reverting to 433.

I think this is a big game for the manager. The stark fact is that he has a record of two victories from twelve games, which is poorer than the record of four wins in twelve which resulted in Mellon's dismissal last season, and even worse than the records of Mike Jackson or John Barnes. We are playing well for periods of games but at some stage Dawes has to demonstrate that he can get results.

A very tough series of fixtures follows this match and we don't want to be cut adrift near the foot of the table. The second half performance on Saturday provided some encouragement, but we need three points.

Last edited:

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
If we play like the second half at weekend we should win. Fingers crossed i would play the rteam that finished the game at weekend from the start

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree that we're likely to ;ine up fairly close to how we finished at Milton Keynes.. Maybe Hawkes starting ahead of Sam Taylor.

Harrogate, rather surprisingly lost at home to Forest Green last time out. Luke Armstrong, who'd withdrawn his services for the opening games was back on the bench at the weekend and is a dangerous forward. The visitors fall into the difficult to beat category and any result is possible.

How much pressure Dawes will be under to get a win in this game is a moot point. Due to the squad limitations and extensive injury list at the end of last season, some allowances should be made, but we haven't hit the ground running. I don't think this is a must win game, but it will certainly take some pressure off the manager, if we do earn all the points..

We've lost both games at Prenton Park, where Lee Swabey has been the referee, so hopefully third time lucky...

ADD

Player
Norwood
An important game indeed as if we have no points after 3 games things will become pressurised no matter how well we played.

So far for me some of the football has been good with an excellent performance second half against MK after a very poor first half and a highly credible win/ draw against Barnsley. However, Dawes I would agree with his critics on here has had too much Jackson style personnel and formation shifting so far. Personally I will cut him some slack as he had his 3 first choice attackers injured for pretty much all pre-season but that only goes so far. He needs to finalise his best 11 and preferred shape soon.

Hopefully O'Connor being dropped has concentrated his mind and he will be starting at RB and playing as he did in the second half on Saturday.
Team wise I think that how we finished on Saturday will likely be how we start tonight with the probable exception being Hawkes instead of Dennis and possibly also Lewis for Jennings.
Confident about this one (Norris will definitely score) and I am expecting our first win of the League campaign

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Dennis Norris and Taylor start with Jennings hendry and Morris in the middle.

Don’t agree that our arguably best asset and attacking player in Hawkes isn’t starting a game we need to win. Last seasons top scorer don’t forget and hopefully it doesn’t come back to bite us tonight

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I get it. It’s the same team that finished the game on Saturday when we played very well so I can understand it up to a point. If you think of the front three plus Jennings and Morris is a team with plenty of attacking ability. Assuming Dennis will be playing wide which you can guarantee he never played last season when he scored 20 league goals…

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree with Sparky that Hawkes should be starting ahead of either Jennings or Taylor.

It looks like a diamond formation again and at least Lewis has been benched.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Interesting and attacking lineup. Pleased to see Taylor start.Hawkes not starting is a slight surprise but kudos to Taylor for forcing his way in on merit. Hope we have a third year option..

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Tonights programme attached.

Attachments

• 002_23_24_HARROGATE_H_SBL2_1582023.pdf
    6.7 MB · Views: 66

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I agree with Sparky that Hawkes should be starting ahead of either Jennings or Taylor.

It looks like a diamond formation again and at least Lewis has been benched.
Do we think Dennis is playing behind Norris and Taylor? I assumed it would be a three with Taylor and Dennis wide

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While not having as strong a stance on his absence as Sparky, I am surprised at Hawkes’ absence from the starting xi. The current line-up feels a bit unbalanced.

I presume Saunders is injured or would at least feature on the bench. McAlear also absent

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Looks like a 4-3-1-2 with Dennis behind Taylor and Norris. Taylor drifting quite wide though

drwhoman

While not having as strong a stance on his absence as Sparky, I am surprised at Hawkes’ absence from the starting xi. The current line-up feels a bit unbalanced.

I presume Saunders is injured or would at least feature on the bench. McAlear also absent
Maybe they are preparing for Hawkes departure? The end of the window is coming fast and buying clubs will be desperate. Like Liverpool!