• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (3) v Gillingham (0)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Gillingham

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (3) v Gillingham (0)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, August 13, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, August 13, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Cross hits post we clear, they started brighter second half after a good 1st half performance from rovers.
Need keep it on floor and behind their centre halves as they are both huge

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
3-0! A great header from Nevitt sees cogley capitalise on defensive hesitancy! Game over

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Superb performance and the scoreline actually flatters Gillingham. I think the key was the dominance of our midfield trio, who were excellent, and the composure and leadership shown by Turnbull at the back. Everybody played well but McAlear, Bristow and Turnbull were outstanding. Lewis very good also. Made up for Nevitt and it was a good through ball by Merrie for the opening goal.

I said the 532 formation and this group of young players should not be judged too quickly. We used the wing backs brilliantly today.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
well made up for Elliot and Merrie well-done rovers and 3 goals we did not say that too much last season. we are off now and we need to get the away form going but very promising and I take my rant back Again well done Lads

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I must stay away more often…

Excellent result and great to see Nevitt break his duck for the season, hopefully goes on to gain confidence from this although felt he’s been playing ok when not scoring. How did Turnbull look today? We didn’t concede which suggests the right call by Micky.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I must stay away more often…

Excellent result and great to see Nevitt break his duck for the season, hopefully goes on to gain confidence from this although felt he’s been playing ok when not scoring. How did Turnbull look today? We didn’t concede which suggests the right call by Micky.
Report to follow but turnbull looked very assured. Nice and relaxed as opposed to Clarke who at times appeared overly angry and arguing with all the officials. Turnbull not overly vocal but did have a calmness about him

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
An excellent all round performance and fully deserved win. Having missed the first few games of the season as on holiday but reading reviews, I was a bit concerned about today especially when Hawkes didn’t start. From the first minute we played with a good tempo and showed a lot good interplay between the midfield trio and the wing backs.

We deservedly took the lead when merries pass sent Nevitt clear who held off the defender and finished well. The only fault second half was it took a while for the second goal to come and Bristow smashed in after a lay off from Hemmings. The third came and it was game over.
Special mention for Jameson who had a strong game at the back especially after he was slaughtered after the Stevenage game. Turnbull slotted comfortably in and Byrne didn’t put a foot wrong. Bristow and cogley excelled going forward but the midfield trio were excellent, as were the front two. Pleased for merrie in particular in his preferred position whose passing was excellent: he’s a bit lightweight and not the quickest but has energy with mclear and Lewis around him. Reece in particular was very good and I think will get better and better as the season progresses.

Mumbongo I’m still not sure about and he should have played in Hemmings but took a shot himself but not a day to be critical of anyone. Really hope we can keep cogley too and great for a striker that Nevitt is off the mark.

A good atmosphere too even before we scored.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It's amazing what a win can do to confidence and we looked a really good side out there today. Gillingham were actually poorer than I thought but the lads all put in a shift and looked really good. The goals were all well taken, the defence solid, midfield excellent and the front two a constant pain for the visitors.

It's nice to start seeing some quality in there and I think we'll keep getting better as a unit. They showed the right desire and commmittment needed to win today and I hope that continues.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Special mention for Jameson who had a strong game at the back especially after he was slaughtered after the Stevenage game.
He was great today and to think some people didn't want to see him in a Tranmere shirt again after the 1st game. Jokers..

ADD

Player
Norwood
Pretty much agree with what others have said. Much much better. Dacres Cogley and Bristow were both excellent. Must be the strongest pairing in the League surely.Very well taken goal by Nevitt from a lovely through ball by Merrie who I thought did very well. Agreed also the backline were all good - starting to gel nicely even before Davies comes back and Jameson is like a man transformed.
Lewis did well also and I think Mumbongo will do well for us though he hopefully won't be as greedy again as he was when he selfishly went for the goal when Hemmings was in acres of space screaming for it!
Only two niggles for me - I appreciate Nevitt scored today but I would prefer Hemmings playing further forward than he is - with Nevitt doing more of the supply and chasing. Also Doohan had nothing to do save wise but his distribution remains poor - always seems to want to go long and he cleared straight out of touch on at least a couple of occasions. Murphy will be working with him on this hard.
Hopefully now we have kickstarted the League campaign the confidence will grow and Goals Goals Goals will continue!