• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (1) v Saddlers (3)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Walsall

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (1) v Saddlers (3)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, April 6, 2024 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, April 6, 2024 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Subs coming on but the damage is done/ far too late Nigel. Being reactive rather than proactive

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’m convinced Jennings must have a clause in his contract to play every minute! O’Connor off with Mcakear now RB and Dennis pushed forward

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Hendry hits the post after a great pass from Dennis.l who has shown more mobility and cleverness since he came on that Norris or Jennings have shown all game. Dennis isn’t just a goalscorer but we’ve not given him the minutes

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
If I hear Nigel post match again going on about together everyone achieves more and all that positive nonsense I’ll be fuming. He needs to start telling it how it is and reading the riot act.

Yes we’ve had defenders missing but that’s no excuse for today

ADD

Player
Norwood
Very very poor.
Ps Apter and Norris arguing after the whistle for some reason.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Poor performance from the team and the manager, the use or non use of the subs and not taking certain players off is frankly ridiculous.

Reactions: Boz

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While accepting that Rovers had 5 likely starters missing, it sounded like a very poor deployment of the resources at our disposal in the second half. It sounded like we surrendered the midfield for spells and very little distribution to the flanks. It sounded like McAlear was having one of his better games, so what was the point of moving to right-back, where he struggled? Missed chance to give Sam Taylor some match time from Nigel again. I hope that his post match assessment is honest and that he accepts if was poor for the fans today (almost grateful for train strike).

Are we going to get any more points this season?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
An afternoon that began quite promisingly but ended in a shambles, again emphasising the lack of quality beyond the first eleven.

There were too many players out on the pitch that are nowhere near good enough: Belehouan completely out of his depth and woeful, McAlear offering no protection to the defence, Norris not a left back and Hawkes completely disinterested. Those problems were compounded by the fact Jennings is clearly exhausted and Norris (Luke) is still miles from match fitness.

We were the better side in the first half and deserved to be ahead at the break. However, Belehouan then switched off completely from a cross into the box and Walsall were undeservedly level. Their second was freakish, albeit McGee may have been at fault, but the third again resulted from Belehouan failing to get out to close the shot with the midfield protection non-existent.

You can quibble certain substitutions, but the reality is there is simply insufficient quality in the squad when three or four key players are absent.

I appreciate we have nothing to play for, but our form since the Wrexham victory has been dreadful and hardly whets the appetite for next season.

Player
Aldo
I think Tranmere/Atkins signed off for the season at the Racecouse. Do they think that they can play this bad until the end of the season and nobody will notice.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’ve calmed down a bit now and not a coincidence that all 3 Walsall goals came on the left side of the pitch. After such a promising start their first goal was poor defending to firstly allow the cross to come in and then give the tallest player on the pitch a free header.
To be fair we were playing fairly well up to half time and McAlear was doing ok going forward but has no defensive instincts at all.
McGee made two good saves and I thought they just about deserved to be level.

Second half we were woeful offering absolutely nothing in an attacking sense and when they got the second it was game over. It was one of those free kick you see every now and then in the corridor of uncertainty and it creeps in at the far post. I won’t blame McGee too much for that especially after his first half saves. The third goal was again poor closing down and allowing a free shot.

Without Walker our defense just doesn’t get enough protection and it needed it today more than ever against a play off chasing side and with our back four depleted. Arguably Nigel should have started merrie in front of the back four.

To me though it doesn’t take away Nigel’s insistence on staying with the same players up top. Jennings has been poor since the Wrexham game yet never gets subbed. He had a great first two thirds of the season but looks exhausted. Luke Norris again was poor with a heavy touch and winning little up top.
I felt for Hawkes being subbed although he wasn’t great and with our inexperienced left hand side defence Nigel should have played Connor left midfield despite his tiredness.

We could have easily given Dennis the last six games of the season. Who knows he may have picked up a few goals and looked good for 24/25. Sam Taylor could have been given some action. Dennis came on but it was far too late.

Nigel will clearly talk about the absentees and it is a valid point. But his decisions including subbing LOC which he used to do for Yarney are puzzling.
As RLC says for anyone sitting on the fence considering a season ticket (or even a player like Apter wanting to re-sign), it’s not very appealing…

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It was a poor second half. The last two goals were awful. Another poor second half showing similar to last week. Glad when the season will be over to be honest.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Nigel typically positive post match and to be fair reminding me we did hit the frame of the goal a few times.
Without naming Hawkes he’s very critical of him not running back for their first and also of McGee for their second.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Once again, a bright start, but the second half was a disaster, not for the first time.
They found out weaknesses and exploited it.
Total lack of quality of squad other than the usual suspects.
I could go on about shape etc. But what is the point?
However, the point about proactive is so true.
But then again did Nigel have or trust any changes that would have changed the outcome?

Player
Manager
John King
Nigel typically positive post match and to be fair reminding me we did hit the frame of the goal a few times.
I have not watched the interview yet, but I think that just papers over the cracks.

There are big decisions to be made this summer and the majority of fringe players need to move on.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes it’s a clever tactic. He’s done this loads of times after a loss, tells us how close we were and it’s a game of fine margins. It didn’t matter, we lost.

Yes, we had chances but didn’t put them away unlike Walsall who took their chances.

It was a poor second half showing.

Player
Manager
John King
I have not watched the interview yet, but I think that just papers over the cracks.

There are big decisions to be made this summer and the majority of fringe players need to move on.
Having watched the full interview, Adkins did not pull his punches.

He called Hawkes out on three separate occasions.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Hawkes is lazy and never wants to defend. I can’t see a future for him here with Adkins in charge.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
didn't Josh get a contract extension ?
Yes but it was purely the clubs decision to activate the extra year and means we won’t lose him for nothing in the summer. Josh didn’t have much say in the matter but I’d be surprised if he’s hear next season.

Last edited: