• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (1) v Saddlers (3)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Walsall

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (1) v Saddlers (3)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, April 6, 2024 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, April 6, 2024 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
No specific evidence Mark meddles with things more than a typical chairman, but you can well imagine with his history as a pro and as an FA chairman he has an strong opinion on lots of football matters that a manager should have the say on.

He made a real mistake giving James Vaughan so much power in the transfer market going for youth and a load of centre backs for that soon abandoned 5-3-2 system we had and a lack of senior pros that would never have worked with Micky and ultimately didn’t.

Our only hope is that Mark has learnt his lesson and has faith in Nigel to let the manager do it his way.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Rovers tie with Swindon for the mid-table Cup, the first sides that mathematically can be neither promoted or relegated.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
On Mark Palios' comments, a mid-table budget is what to expect. That doesn't necessarily mean a mid-table placing, looking at Barrow, Crewe and Crawley who are doing better than their perceived budgets or Colchester, who are below par for theirs.
Spot on, Boz. I’ve been pessimistic recently (and justifiably so), but I am optimistic about next season.

What Nigel has achieved this season is impressive. We have seen what he can do when we have our best side out. Unfortunately, we have always been a couple of injuries away from being a very average team.

Nigel may only have an average budget next season but already he has several decent players under contract and he may be able to persuade others to stay. I’d rather have a very good manager with an average budget than the other way round.

His number one philosophy seems to be for the whole team to defend when we lose the ball and for everyone to attack when we regain it. If Hawkes, Dennis and Taylor don’t buy into that, they won’t start many games. I expect the first two to leave next month but Sam is young enough to learn and I expect him to feature a lot next season. Nigel has had most of the season to work with his large squad and will now know their strengths and weaknesses. In spite of what he said over the weekend, I think he knows who he wants to keep and who can go.

I am sure next season’s recruitment process is already well under way. Nigel will know what gaps need filling (not as many as usual) and will already be targeting several players.

I expect us to be doing a lot of business early in the summer and our late arrivals will be loanees to fill gaps.

The last couple of summer recruitments have been a shambles. The two before that we had new managers. This one I feel much more confident about, so expect us to hit the ground running in August.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, I honestly don't see a future for him here with Adkins in charge.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Not done just so we get a fee? He had no say in it after all as we had the option?
Yep fairly certain it was just to protect the clubs interests and he’ll be on his way in the summer at some point.

Nobody knows what’ll happen with Hawkes but, if there is somebody out there willing to spend decent money on him, it raises questions why we haven’t been getting more value out of him this season. Anyway..

Bigger picture, I’m more reserved about our chances next season. The recent results raise (or reconfirm) more concerns than the previous wins against the big hitters answered. We’ve proved again we’re too flaky, too easy to play against, and concede too many chances. And if any of the players have the stinking attitude of ‘nothing to play for now’ then we’ll have a problem if we’re relying on any of them next season.

We’ve been bottom half all season and bottom third for almost all of it. Yes we know all about the start but this team got itself into a position a few months ago to at least match last season’s 12th placed finish. But we’ve again flattered to deceive and failed to deliver. And as for Adkins bigging up the performance in a draw at home to relegation candidates ColU - that’s as big a bluff as it gets.

Anyway, his actions in the summer will speak louder than his words. As always, fingers crossed!

Last edited:

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
I tend to think any player who hasn't got into our side this year, has no transfer value. We're still buying into he was highly rated at his big mother club. Never really rated him, that mother club never got a fee for him and even my modest opinion of him would accept he was better a year ago.
Not even sure what sort of club would be keen on him. Championship is well beyond reality and those above us tend not to pay fees. Blackpool little more than mid div one table had no use for Apter so they wouldn't buy Hawkes. Then consider the PR, we've spent money on someone who could get into Tranmere bloody Rovers last season as they looked like dropping out of the league at one stage.
Reality is Nigel needs a first team, a bench and then some to cover absentees. I think Hawkes is firmly in the bench group. Maybe wrong but that is my reading

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
We’ll face an out of form Newport on Saturday. You know what that means….

Reactions: Ian

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
They'll be facing an out of form Rovers though. Accrington were in dire form then they met Newport. Who knows...

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
They'll be facing an out of form Rovers though.
Come on Boz, it never works the other way round :lol: :laugh: We haven't won at Valley Parade since 2019!

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
They'll be facing an out of form Rovers though. Accrington were in dire form then they met Newport. Who knows...
I know its tongue in cheek, but its not always that simple Boz. Stanley played well tonight. They've got 8 pts from last 7 games despite having to play too many accademy players of late. Less so against Newport (only two + young loanees), and as players have returned the form picks up. So sometimes its just timing.