• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (0) v Wrexham (1)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Wrexham

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (0) v Wrexham (1)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, September 2, 2023 - 12:30 PM
Until: Saturday, September 2, 2023 - 02:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
I did wonder briefly if the Dawes appointment was laying the ground for a take over. Decided not, as very high risk if you get relegated and de-value your asset, but could be wrong. It’s the kind of thing someone who thinks they are very clever might try do…only for it to backfire.
Yes, that’s why I added the proviso about still having the club‘s best interests at heart. But just idle speculation really.

Great post, O4. I’d love to hear you asking these questions to Mark at one of his q&as. ;)
Ha ha, thanks, I’ll try and remember to email them in next time there’s a Q&A! Assuming we still have a technical director when the next Q&A comes around!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
If the next Q&A comes around!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Yes I read your comments and they did suggest you were blindly clamouring for him to move on. Just like you’re now blindly guessing that Palios agrees with your rewrite! :D
Comprehension obviously is not your strong point then. Find any comment I made that suggests Palios should sell to any bidder, irrespective of the consequences.

Yes, he does want to move the club on to new owners in the near future. Unless he intends to put it into liquidation on his death bed.

Comprehension obviously is not your strong point then.
Yet it’s served me exceedingly well old bean!

Find any comment I made that suggests Palios should sell to any bidder, irrespective of the consequences.
Why? I haven’t intimated you did. Always a bad sign when you (as so often) resort to twisting people’s words…next time you’ll be getting another of your beloved emojis! :D

Icymi, you said “we need Palios to move on for the club to move in an upwards direction again”. Then denied that meant you were clamouring him to move on, before guessing with apparent certainty that Palios agrees with you that “the club (is unlikely to) progress without a change of ownership”.

Yes, he does want to move the club on to new owners in the near future. Unless he intends to put it into liquidation on his death bed.
Says who? Another of your internet ITKs? Must be true then.

Like I said, we do know that he’s seeking new investment, and has been for years, as a pre-requisite for the club to realise its aspirations. And he will have certainly planned his eventual exit route, as far as he’s able to. I must’ve missed the additional bit where he put a timescale on his exit (even if only indicative), or that delaying it beyond “the near future“ will mean he’ll be on his deathbed when he does.

Player
Manager
John King
Icymi, you said “we need Palios to move on for the club to move in an upwards direction again”. Then denied that meant you were clamouring him to move on
Yeah, because suggesting that he needs to sell in order for the club to progress equates to 'clamouring' for him to sell immediately to anybody irrespective of their suitability as owners.

You certainly love straw man arguments.

Not worth interacting with.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
IMG_3563.png

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I sometimes think it’s harsh to include Dawes spell last season as it is only this one where he’s been able to do his own preseason and signings.

Although that said I remember last season that our last fixtures when Dawes was number one were all against sides in the bottom 7 or so and we still hardly won.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
He won't win many this season.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
The sooner we lose next week we can then just get him gone sad th think lije it but tgats my feelings as for mark he is in his 70s so will sooner rather than later want to get away from the club hope its sooner

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Beware of statistics. Why not include the five games he won after Jacko was sacked?
To have any legitimacy you should include only his time as permanent manager. As temporary boss he has limited control over players. It’s fair to start from this August as he has had a full preseason and presumably some input to player recruitment and disposal.

Player
Manager
John King
Beware of statistics. Why not include the five games he won after Jacko was sacked?
To have any legitimacy you should include only his time as permanent manager. As temporary boss he has limited control over players. It’s fair to start from this August as he has had a full preseason and presumably some input to player recruitment and disposal.
I disagree.

In 2020-21 he was working with a different, and significantly better, group of players with the exceptional James Vaughan up front. The statistics from March 2023 onwards are more significant as they tell us what he is capable of delivering now, with our current resources and players.

If we look solely at this season, his record of 1 victory, 1 draw and 6 defeats, is as poor an opening sequence as we have had in our history.

Even if we include his initial five games as caretaker, his win percentage of 36% is worse than Mellon's, Hill's and Brabin's.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Make awful reading that will only get worse the longer he stays in charge.

The green and red in that diagram is too simplistic, almost as if to exaggerate a point. However, shades of grey, although more realistic, rarely tend to fit the agenda of the authors of these things. Hey ho.

As for the stats, further proof, if any were needed, that they don’t mean much in isolation…. remember the start of Kingy’s first full season back?

IMG_1479.jpeg

Thank goodness the internet and social media weren’t around then!

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
King inherited one of the worst squads in our history and had to rebuild it during the early months of that season. Once Harvey, Steel etc arrived our form improved dramatically, resulting in our qualification for the Centenary Festival.

The current squad may not be world beaters, but it is significantly better than the group of players King inherited.

I actually remember a lot of the games from the early months of the 87-88 season and the performances were often good, despite the poor results.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
The green and red in that diagram is too simplistic, almost as if to exaggerate a point. However, shades of grey, although more realistic, rarely tend do the job the authors of these things want. Hey ho.

As for the stats, further proof, if any were needed, that they don’t mean much in isolation…. remember the start of Kingy’s first full season back?

View attachment 372

Thank goodness the internet and social media weren’t around then!
I spoke to Kingy at length during those times. He insisted it was coming together, it indeed did, but I could not see the signs. I may or may not have been blind, Kingy could have been playing for time? We were two up at Carlisle quite early on and lost three late goals. Every glimmer of hope seemed to get snuffed out. Then it turned like an Oil tanker!!!! Tbf the Exeter night and PJ imagery led to unheard of patience among the faithful.
However currently I have no idea what Dawes is trying to do before during or after every match. I am not disagreeing with his strategies, I cannot even identify them.
Maybe he should start rambling on about nautical terms and it will all come good....................They do look a bit similar one played as a diminutive Everton midfielder the other at Bangor, the one managed Caernarvon to glory the other took a gig with Vaughan in a Maltese suburb (4 streets). Not happening is it

drwhoman

It is always interesting to debate the ins and outs of history but, sadly, we need a change now. Only a few games gone but L2 survival is at stake. We have some decent players but they are not being well managed.