• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Robins v Rovers

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
On paper at least, this promises to be our toughest game so far. Cheltenham are the league's form team and have the NL's most accomplished manager in Gary Johnson, who somehow got Yeovil into the Championship.

We are unbeaten in six. (When did that last happen?) However, those games yielded only ten points, the same as our first four games did, so we still need to improve. Despite dropping so many points through draws, spirits should be high. Unlike the last two seasons, the lads are able to fight back after going a goal down.

It will be interesting to see how we line up. Will GB stick with 4-4-2 which has been so successful of late or will he revert to the more defensive 4-5-1? Personally, with the team in form, I think 4-4-2 would send out the right message. For this game, I think attack is the best form of defence. I fear the defence is not capable of holding out if we invite them to attack.

Basically, a draw would be a great result and even a narrow defeat should not dent morale too much, but a win would announce us as real promotion contenders.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The Robins have adjusted slightly better to the national league than us and certainly can't be accused of not gelling given they signed over 15 players and have started the season well. Ex rover James Rowe who I never thought was up to it in L2 has been warming their bench of late.

I'll be surprised if Hogan doesn't come back in which will mean a reshuffle with IHikwe returning to RB. What this means for Maynard remains to be seen however he may put him into a 5 man midfield and keep Mangan on the bench. As BBTC says though, is our defence strong enough to look to hit on the break or should we stick with 4-4-2 but remind Dawson and Mekki of their defensive responsibilities away from home.

Anything other than a defeat will be a great result.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Our record at Whaddon Road (refuse to use it's current daft name) is poor only taken 1 point from our 4/5 visits. As pointed out, they are in decent form and have adapted quicker to the National League, despite, as Sparky's notes, having recruited heavily over summer. Two ex-Rovers in their squad, Eliot Richards, who's had the all clear after his testicular cancer but don't know if back playing and James Rowe. If Rowe does get to play we need to out-muscle him, not sit back and allow him time and space. I felt he was a bit hard done to getting released as he's got a few goals in him. Hopefully none tomorrow.

If it were a home game, I'd minimise the changes, but feel Hogan, if fit will come back in. Not sure what the position is with Jackson, who wasn't mentioned in the injury run-through on the o/s, but if fit worth a place on the bench. I would start Mangan, no midweek game next week so plenty of time to recover.

Agree with Sparky, any point(s) here would be great. Narrow home win most likely.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I saw Cheltenham's recent televised game against Wrexham and while they did not play scintillating football - Wrexham looked the better side - they were big and organised and the kind of team we have struggled against at times this season. I would concur with BBTC that Gary Johnson is probably the best manager in the division and is the major reason for their early success. However, I would disagree that our own run of ten points in six games is not good enough. That is play off form and I would be delighted if we could maintain that standard for the rest of the season.

As has been suggested above, along with the upcoming games at Wrexham and Forest Green, I would put this match in the category of 'must not lose'. Having caught up with the leading teams we don't want to lose ground again, and I still believe that sides such as Grimsby and ourselves have more quality than Cheltenham and care capable of overtaking them over the course of a season.

Selection wise, I think we will start with a 4-4-2 again, with Mangan and Norwood up front and Hogan at centre back if available.

It should be an interesting game.

Player
Manager
John King
Ex rover James Rowe who I never thought was up to it in L2 has been warming their bench of late..

When you consider where many of our players of last season are now, it is no wonder we struggled badly from the start.

Stockton on loan at a struggling Conference side, Kirby and Odejayi at a Conference North team, Rowe benchwarming at Cheltenham, Thompson benchwarming at Southport, Taylor released by bottom of the table Kidderminster........

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
This is the start of a run of tricky fixtures but if we are to compete at the top end of the table its something we should be capable of getting something out of im going for 1 1

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Tricky game but spirits are high. Like I keep saying, if we play for 90 mins we can get a good result. Dreadful first half as seems to be the norm and we could be in trouble. Realistically, a draw..

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Rumours flying around that Norwood has been suspended by the club for 3 games

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yep. O/s just says it's an FA decision presumably from his forest green days

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Wow what a great result! The robins had won 5 and drawn 1 of their 6 home games before today. From looking at the stats we had to defend well but as has been said before, if we can keep Mangan fit he always has a goal in him.

Will await any reports. Only 5 points off top now!!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Brilliant result and a decent set of other results sees us sitting nicely in 6th having caught Wrexham on points. That should really get the confidence up and it's refreshing to see our strikers making a difference.

I might be wrong but stats suggest 1 shot on target 1 goal. Not that it matters now!

Player
Manager
John King
A great result. You certainly can't beat a 94th minute winner ! :)

It was an even and intriguing game between two sides who were pretty well matched. However, despite not creating that much, I thought we showed greater quality in possession of the ball and just about deserved the victory in the end.

There were very few opportunities for either side, but Cheltenham probably had the better of the chances, Davies making a decent save in the first half and Hogan brilliantly clearing one off the line in the second. However, we looked stronger in midfield and controlled possession for long periods. We got into great areas on a number of occasions, particularly Mekki and Mangan, but could not quite find a final pass or shot and we probably missed Norwood in that regard. However, by keeping hold of the ball for extended spells we did not allow Cheltenham to build any momentum: we only came under sustained pressure in the final fifteen minutes, but defended resolutely. Mangan's goal was virtually the last kick and was a great finish, a turn on a sixpence and shot after a good knock-down from Maynard.

Pretty much everybody played well. Jennings and Harris controlled midfield and both wide men saw a lot of the ball, Mekki working hard and Dawson impressive once again. Defensively we were pretty solid throughout, although Sutton did have a bit of trouble with Morgan-Smith's strength and movement. Maynard did ok in the number ten role and won a lot of balls in the air defensively. Mangan was a nuisance all game although his decision making around the box let him down once or twice, something we can forgive him for after that finish. Jennings was outstanding again, but my man of the match would be Liam Hogan, imperious at the back yet again.

This win really lays down a marker for the rest of the season and will make some of our competitors sit up and take notice.

Roll on Bromley.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Full marks to the team and to GB in particular. It's Rovers best result for many a year. We beat a team who would have gone top if they'd have won. The loss of Norwood could have been a blow, but it says a lot for the spirit in the squad that they did not let it affect them. I presume we were 4-5-1. If so, credit again to GB and the defence. I just hope the Norwood business blows over.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

drwhoman

Great result and a very cool finish from Mangan. A decent goalscorer at any level is so vital and is something Rovers have lacked for several seasons. Can anyone tell me what precisely the issue with Norwood is? One post seems to suggest that it is an old FG issue and another that is a club matter?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Drwhoman, I think it goes back to a match Norwood played in last season for Forest Green, possibly a friendly where he was dismissed but failed to leave the field of play immediately after dismissal. Think the whole process of appeals etc took so long, it rolled into this season.

drwhoman

Thanks for this Ian. You are very helpful. As you say these things can take a long time. Too long arguably.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Certainly unfair that we are being punished, but there you go..

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Apparently it was playing for Forest Green u21 team at the end of may, crazy that the ban occurs now.

M

Mal

We won without Norwood. Not so much of a punishment if just one game. He Has had a rest. Communication about the actual ban has been appalling.