• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Oxford v Rovers

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
So the one-off chance for team Russell-Gill to show what they can do, with the new manager waiting in the wings and seeing what he can learn before Tuesday's visit from Mansfield. Our hosts have also been struggling, but had we not already got Micky in place, I think this could have been a continuation of recent woes. Instead, with the players selected (and I'm not going to hazard a guess) trying to impress the new boss, I'm hopeful we'll end our losing run.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I have not got much confidence in our caretaker duo, but hopefully the players can at least scrap their way to a result. I would take a draw, just to keep us in touch with the rest of the struggling sides with a winnable home game to follow on Tuesday.

I went to our last league game at Oxford sixteen years ago when a young Jason Koumas was outstanding, and a repeat performance on Saturday would be welcome. This will be my first visit to the Kassam Stadium, which should be interesting.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We have a chance in all of the next four games. As I've said in another thread, I think the interim duo and the players will pull out all the stops on Saturday. We may be pleasantly surprised. It's a local match for me and I'm really sorry I won't be there.

andrewesq

Faith Light Strength
Player
Billy Woods
A desperate performance, started off ok but went downhill as soon as Oxford scored with their first attempt of the match. Need some strikeforce if we cant supply strikers and score then we are in trouble! Mickey please help!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It all sounded pretty grim. Micky Adams has a tough job on his hands.

Player
Manager
John King
Another depressing day as a Rovers fan. Although we showed a bit more fight than in previous games, our familiar failings were soon apparent and were even more glaring than in recent matches.

The first thirty minutes were pretty even and we actually had the best two opportunities: one for Barker, another for Power which he should have scored after a good move. Once we missed those chances, I knew we would lose the game. As Andrewesq says, Oxford scored with their first effort on goal and in the fifteen minutes that followed, we completely lost all shape and composure and Brezovan kept us in the game with a couple of good saves.

In the second half we did battle a bit and had probably the majority of possession. However, from the twentieth minute to the ninetieth I can't remember a single shot on target and we created absolutely nothing. Defensively we also looked poorer than in the last couple of games, as a team not necessarily the back four (Ihiekwe and Donacien were two of our better players). A number of poor decisions were made and the ball was given away in poor areas: we looked a bag of nerves at times.

The substitutions were a complete joke again. Oxford made a change before we did, and Baggie and Richards were only given twenty minutes again, too little time to make a real impact on the game. Oxford were not particularly impressive at any stage, but created a couple of chances on the breakaway in the second half, scored one of them and it was game over.

If today's showing was the best that Russell is able to muster, he can leave the club at the earliest opportunity as far as I am concerned.

God knows what the watching Mickey Adams made of it all. On today's performance, even with the benefit of his experience, we may be relegation certainties this season.

The only positive from the day was the size of the Rovers turnout, about 5-600 from what I could judge, which was magnificent under the circumstances.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Sadly my hope of a more positive performance today was misguided. Mickey Adams has a tough task, as I think he'll have to make do with the bulk of the squad and also the coaching staff. If he keeps us in the Football League, he will have earned his money.

drwhoman

MA has to get inside their heads. Confidence must be very low. At the same time there has to be an element of shape up or face the consequences. A delicate balance. Surely they will go all out in the next game to impress MA?! I would be inclined to start with Baggie and Richards but we will see. Might be too early for any new faces but they have to come surely? Will be interesting to see if Russell and Gill stay although the Palios would have to pay them out presumably. MA would need an assistant but no point in persisting with those who are clearly unable to energise the team.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It seems inevitable now that whoever we play, we lose. We are struggling massively. The setup is in a mess and I just hope MA gets the chance to have a real shuffle in terms of the back room staff and the players. The fact that we can't put the ball in the net is killing us and the players are so berift of confidence, theres no way out at the moment. He's got an incredibly tough job. Fingers crossed, because it's still going to be a massive struggle this season. I just hope people don't think he can work wonders straight away.

If we can get through this season without dropping, then we'll be able to see what MA can do. Right now, it's just about survival.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
There's been critical comment about Gill-Russell selecting the same starting line-up as for Plymouth, perhaps out of misguided loyalty to Rob Edwards. I wasn't at either match, but if that was the case surely it would have been better to select a side closer to the one that finished v Plymouth, which came close to getting something out of that game?

The Palios' aren't loaded with money, so while agreeing with what Ian says about Micky getting a chance to change things, in reality the opportunity for this is limited. On the backroom staff, I can see Gill staying as assistant at least until the end of season, but MA maybe replacing Russell. On the playing side, MA will need to differentiate between those who at this stage in their career simply aren't good enough for L2 and those whose confidence is shot, then hopefully show his managerial talent by building up the latter. There is probably the funding for a couple of loans and maybe to bring someone in when the window opens. Hopefully in the next month our defensive options will increase with the return of Ridehalgh and Woodards. My priority would be a defensive midfielder and a winger, although we may be able to replace Barker with someone more effective at finding the net.

I also agree that it will be a massive struggle to hold onto our League status. Instant miracles won't happen, but in the short term, until Micky gets to know the squad better, grinding out results and not falling adrift at the bottom should be the initial target.

Player
Manager
John King
On the playing side, MA will need to differentiate between those who at this stage in their career simply aren't good enough for L2 and those whose confidence is shot, then hopefully show his managerial talent by building up the latter.

I think this is the key to our survival this season.

Of the players brought in by Edwards in the summer, I would say the following are mediocre or worse for this level:

Odejayi
Donnelly
Davies (may develop, but too young to deal with the current situation)
Barker (same as Davies above)
Laird
Gill
Holness

The following signings are either decent, experienced players or have the potential to develop, albeit a couple of them are seriously injury prone:

Brezovan
Hill
Woodards
Ihiekwe
Donacien
Richards

Of the players inherited from Ronnie, I would argue the following can make a positive contribution:

Fon Williams
Holmes
Ridehalgh
Power
Rowe
Koumas
Baggie
Stockton

What strikes me about the above list - very subjective I know - is that Edwards added virtually no quality to the squad in the attacking areas, with the result that the goals have dried up completely now that we have been hit by injuries. Despite his supposed emphasis on creative play, most of his decent signings were defenders

I am sure every supporter would come up with a different list to my own, but I don't think there is much doubt that Butler and Edwards have lumbered us with deadwood which we probably won't be able to move on, at least until the summer.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I broadly agree with your analysis, RLC. As you say, the list is a subjective one. Based on generally positive remarks from supporters of their previous club have said, coupled with the fact they are at or approaching their prime, I would be inclined to see if Holness and Laird can perform better under Micky. I have some reservations about Koumas, who I thought would be more of an asset this season than has been shown to date.

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, I also have reservations about Koumas but I think the complete lack of movement in the forward players is a major issue at the moment. When Koumas is on the ball there are very few options for him and when he does play an intelligent pass into space or between defenders, our static forwards don't anticipate it.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Koumas will always be a great passer and player in midfield, especially at this level but he does need the team to be performing around him.

I expected more from Laird who arrived with a positive reception. Im sure he can give more but again isnt the player who is going to take the bull by the horns when things arent going well.

Player
Jonny Morrisey
IMO Jason Koumas is the best player we have and one of only a small number of players who actually look to play football rather than lumping it up to the totally inadequate Odejayi. He should start whenever he's fit because he looks like the only player we have who can unlock a defence, Baggie with his pace may also come into that category.

The defence is a massive concern for me. Holness just isn't up to it and regardless of how much time he has is he'll bent on the long ball as is Ihiekwe, although he is a slightly better player.

I've got a season ticket and have supported Tranmere since the mid 80's and this is by far the worst team I've watched. MA has a really tough job on his hands and needs to have a complete overhaul and get rid of those not willing to fight for our club. I just hope he can do that between now and May otherwise Wrexham and Chester beckon.

drwhoman

I see Jeremy Butler has fallen on his sword. No surprise. To be instrumental In employing a Manager who a new owner has to sack after five minutes will always put you in the firing line! Will be interesting to see who replaces him.

lonerover

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Im not sure Butler will be replaced. The report in the Echo suggests Mark and Nicola are getting involved in alot of what Butler was brought in to do on behalf of PJ. Makes sense in my opinion, part of the of regime and not necessarily a fit with the Palios' vision for the future.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Im not sure Butler will be replaced. The report in the Echo suggests Mark and Nicola are getting involved in alot of what Butler was brought in to do on behalf of PJ. Makes sense in my opinion, part of the of regime and not necessarily a fit with the Palios' vision for the future.
No need to replace Butler. He probably didn't do a bad job behind the scenes and working with local businesses etc., but the Palioses now decide the strategy and are more hands on than PJ. Given we have a new commercial manager and (I think) still have Mick Horton, there is not a big enough role any more for Jeremy.

Player
Manager
John King
No need to replace Butler. He probably didn't do a bad job behind the scenes and working with local businesses etc.

I think Palios has looked at the decision to appoint Edwards and the standard of our player recruitment over the summer and come to the sensible conclusion that Butler was not worth his salary.

drwhoman

Interesting press conference and to see Chris Shuker back with Russell going. A new striker for Tuesday. See how he goes. Let us hope he gets some chances and converts them! Maybe the Raheem Sterling hairstyle will help!