• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Northampton v Rovers

Match result

• Northampton

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Rovers

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Northampton v Rovers
Posted by Ian
PTS Academy Stadium
Saturday, March 5, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, March 5, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Finally, while the starting line up was certainly a bit whacky and unexpected, people have been calling for Mellon to make major changes for weeks, and when he finally does they are slammed as clueless. He clearly wanted to issue a message to certain players he believes have been guilty of complacency, and will probably revert to a more conventional line up next week.

However, I think we looked decent as an attacking side in the 532 and I would not be surprised if he sticks with that system, albeit with MacManaman binned and Davies back in the side.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
People above are discussion formations and personnel but, aside perhaps for some defensive confusion on the set plays due to the changes at the back, I don't think the tactical changes had any impact on the goals we conceded.
The reason they were getting so many set pieces and corners was because we were all over the show in the first 45 and were under the cosh after 20 mins when they started piling the pressure on. It was a mess in all honesty. We had no control in that half. Northampton do not score many goals yet they were three up against us. We did look much better after the subs.

I don't think we have much time to be teaching players lessons. We are down to 6th with 11 games to play with the second worse form in the league. The players need to take a serious step up and the manager needs to play his best players. It is the managers job to be getting the players prepared and ready and up for the challenge. It looks like they learnt nothing from last week.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Also we can’t totally be reliant on glatzel. He’s still a young lad and having signed him for the season, he’s had fairly long spells out with injury. What if he gets injured again? The keeper situation is a bit of a worry too. I didn’t see the game but there is an awful lot riding on the Mansfield game now

Player
Manager
John King
The reason they were getting so many set pieces and corners was because we were all over the show in the first 45 and were under the cosh after 20 mins when they started piling the pressure on. It was a mess in all honesty. We had no control in that half. Northampton do not score many goals yet they were three up against us. We did look much better after the subs.

I don't think we have much time to be teaching players lessons. We are down to 6th with 11 games to play with the second worse form in the league. The players need to take a serious step up and the manager needs to play his best players. It is the managers job to be getting the players prepared and ready and up for the challenge. It looks like they learnt nothing from last week.
I am still struggling to remember a chance Northampton created in open play in the first half. I don't agree that we were all over the show at the back in open play, as sterile as the first half performance was.

It is the manager's job to manage the personalities in the dressing room over 46 games, and if that means dropping experienced players who are not performing, so be it.

Player
Manager
John King
Also we can’t totally be reliant on glatzel. He’s still a young lad and having signed him for the season, he’s had fairly long spells out with injury. What if he gets injured again? The keeper situation is a bit of a worry too. I didn’t see the game but there is an awful lot riding on the Mansfield game now
I think the reality is that we are quite reliant on him, due to the limitations of the other strikers bar Hemmings. Not that I think Glatzel is some kind of miracle cure.

overthewater

Player
chris malkin
I agree with RLC that they looked no better than us in open play in the first half. They also looked like a side a bit short of confidence. However so often set plays are pivotal these days and our failure to defend them cost us. The absence of Spearing is a real issue. O'Connor looks a shadow of himself without him and too much is resting on the shoulders of young Warrington. It's clear Micky doesn't rate Merrie as a midfielder or a left back - yet isn't he contracted for next season too ?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It is the manager's job to manage the personalities in the dressing room over 46 games, and if that means dropping experienced players who are not performing, so be it.
Indeed but he has to get us out of this rut. Any good manager will do that and get the players performing. We have not performed for weeks now.

Player
Manager
John King
Indeed but he has to get us out of this rut. Any good manager will do that and get the players performing. We have not performed for weeks now.
Mellon is a good manager. It is a run of five games. Better managers than Mellon have had much longer barren periods. More patience is required in football these days.

Mansfield are currently the form team in the country with a very experienced manager, but take a look at their form in the first three months of this season.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I am being impatient but time is running out. We have gone from 2nd to 6th with a host of clubs around us. We have picked up 1 point from the last 5 games. I don't want this season to be another missed opportunity. I am only looking at current form with 11 games to go.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Now seen the goals. Rank poor defending for their first, Doohan at fault for the second but there did seem to be a push ignored in the build-up to the third. Haven't seen the disallowed goal and Glatzel a bit theatrical in winning us the penalty, though there was some contact.

I agree with Ian, that while our decent form at the turn of the year has put us in contention, current form is what matters and I'd rather be in Mansfield's position than ours right now.

Player
Manager
John King
I am being impatient but time is running out. We have gone from 2nd to 6th with a host of clubs around us. We have picked up 1 point from the last 5 games. I don't want this season to be another missed opportunity. I am only looking at current form with 11 games to go.
Despite our poorest run of form this season, we will still go into next weekend's matches in the top seven. We have nearly a quarter of the season left to play.

If we don't go up this season it is not an abject failure, and Mellon is more than capable of leading another challenge next season. There are numerous clubs with similar resources and ambition as us, and they can't all be promoted.

Player
Manager
John King
I agree with Ian, that while our decent form at the turn of the year has put us in contention, current form is what matters and I'd rather be in Mansfield's position than ours right now.
I was referring to their run of fourteen games without a win earlier in the season. If Mellon had a similar run here he would be under huge pressure and probably would not survive. However, Mansfield showed patience, backed Clough, and are now reaping the rewards.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Despite our poorest run of form this season, we will still go into next weekend's matches in the top seven. We have nearly a quarter of the season left to play.

If we don't go up this season it is not an abject failure, and Mellon is more than capable of leading another challenge next season. There are numerous clubs with similar resources and ambition as us, and they can't all be promoted.
There is less than a quarter of the season left and we are on our worst run. But yes, he could lead a challenge next season - although it may be more difficult with the teams potentially coming up and down. It will be an opportunity missed.

Player
Manager
John King
There is less than a quarter of the season left and we are on our worst run. But yes, he could lead a challenge next season - although it may be more difficult with the teams potentially coming up and down. It will be an opportunity missed.
It will also be an opportunity missed for a host of other clubs. Not sure where the idea comes from that it is easy, or some sort of right, for Rovers to win promotion, when there are a clutch of other generously backed clubs with the same ambition.

Mellon has got us into contention as required and we will see what the next eleven games bring. Given his past record, I actually fully expect Mellon to turn our form round in the remaining games.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We are supporters so we naturally want our team to do well. We all handle it in different ways. Yes, there are plenty of teams in the mix all fighting for a place but my main concern is the slide over the last few weeks and the fact we were in a prime position only a few weeks ago. It would be extremely frustrating to let that go. I don't think that is unreasonable. The general consensus from supporters I have spoke to have said it's been pretty poor over the last few weeks with little improvement and are worried we will not make it. It's a natural reaction from supporters to losing games.

I hope of course you are right and we turn our form around with the remaining games.

Last edited:
Player
ian goodison
after the team selection yesterday which was bizarre to say the least, I would drop Clarke, doohan warrington for next week and bring in murphy, merrie, & davies it won,t happen of course, but just cannot see us waking up and changing things around.

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
There could be 40 games to play and it would make no difference unless we change our style of play. We rode our luck playing this defensive, negative hoofball for 75 mins and then hoping to nick something for a 1-0 earlier in the season, but it is now becoming too easy to beat. Get the creative players on the ball and give the guys up top a fighting chance..

Player
Aldo
We have struggled for goals all season, the close season striker signings haven't really worked out , it seems that Hemmings has quality but he can't do it all on his own (like Vaughan or Norwood). Glatzel, now that he is playing in a more central role, looks to have the skill and nouse to work with Hemmings but he has been plagued with absenses. Neither have match winning pace.

The defence has been superb for most of the season, Clarke has been immense, I am sure Mickey would love to give him a rest but then who would he bring in ? Those are Tranmere Rovers facts of life. People should lay off him.

As for promotion, I think that we can still do it, but we will need a good run without getting injuries, suspensions, and covid bans. Its not a fantastic 'squad' so I think that overall we have done quite well. With Spearing, Glatzel, Davies, O'Conner back in the side we should start to pick up more points.

Its true that the football has been painful to watch at times but that is a the way it is when you are bedding in 10 players or so on a budget every close season.

IMO , the only place that McManaman could do a job is at number 10, even though he has tons of quality , he doesn't seem to have the workrate, pace or stamina for the flanks.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think McManaman has had his day. We took a chance on him but I expected a lot more from one of our marquee signings. He's produced very little when called on and has hardly featured.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think McManaman has had his day. We took a chance on him but I expected a lot more from one of our marquee signings. He's produced very little when called on and has hardly featured.

I agree. When we signed him I commented for most of his career he’s only played 25-30 games a season. That was in his peak years. Now he’s getting on a bit and has either been injured or flattered to deceive. One to release at the end of the season for sure