• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Northampton v Rovers

Match result

• Northampton

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Rovers

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Northampton v Rovers
Posted by Ian
PTS Academy Stadium
Saturday, March 5, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, March 5, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
You can't shine a turd!
It was bad but now many times have you heard, kill the atmosphere,, keep the home crowd quiet, other quotes come to mind, but don't concede, we did! We didn't learn from the first corner and we were found wanting.They exploited a weakness at corners!
They were very similar and definitely something worked on the training ground.
The choice of players and system was something that surprised me and you could tell something else was going on behind the scenes, whether it was MM changing it deliberately or forced, it could be other reasons, it could be pressure from the board, I can't imagine that but it wouldn't surprise me after the trosc meeting!
MM is not one to make wholesale changes, he tweaked and does use the likes of Morris being versatile he must have player in so many roles and positions.
We are having too many off days and at this time of the season a settled side is a must, the spine must be strong and the momentum to get points is another must, now we are in March!

Or could the manager looking for another Wembley appearance!

Roll on Friday! Two home games close together and if we want back in automatic promotion we need six points but I just can't see it!

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
C
We have struggled for goals all season, the close season striker signings haven't really worked out , it seems that Hemmings has quality but he can't do it all on his own (like Vaughan or Norwood). Glatzel, now that he is playing in a more central role, looks to have the skill and nouse to work with Hemmings but he has been plagued with absenses. Neither have match winning pace.

The defence has been superb for most of the season, Clarke has been immense, I am sure Mickey would love to give him a rest but then who would he bring in ? Those are Tranmere Rovers facts of life. People should lay off him.

As for promotion, I think that we can still do it, but we will need a good run without getting injuries, suspensions, and covid bans. Its not a fantastic 'squad' so I think that overall we have done quite well. With Spearing, Glatzel, Davies, O'Conner back in the side we should start to pick up more points.

Its true that the football has been painful to watch at times but that is a the way it is when you are bedding in 10 players or so on a budget every close season.

IMO , the only place that McManaman could do a job is at number 10, even though he has tons of quality , he doesn't seem to have the workrate, pace or stamina for the flanks.
I think our squad is good on paper. We have players that are on the books of Liverpool, Everton, Rangers and Celtic. They are more than capable at this level. The style of football is the issue for me. I am a big Micky fan but the football under him isnt and has never really been that great to watch. We were so lucky to have Norwood who could win a game with half a chance, which really disguised the fact that for so many games we rode our luck and nicked something 1-0.

Our defence was incredible earlier in the season, but you cant expect a 40 year old to continue to roll back the years. I like Davies but again, he has been caught out pace wise more recently.

We seem to be on the back foot from the word go in most games, and that means that our forward players dont really get a chance as live off chasing hoofed clearances for most of the game.

I understand that it is a results business, but this is so awful to endure, I would rather watch entertaining football and finish 9th than this crap. IF, and it is a big IF, we manage to put a run together and finish in the play offs or above I just hope we do it playing a more entertaining style than this, however I dont think MM will change.

ADD

Player
Norwood
The choice of players and system was something that surprised me and you could tell something else was going on behind the scenes, whether it was MM changing it deliberately or forced, it could be other reasons, it could be pressure from the board, I can't imagine that but it wouldn't surprise me after the trosc meeting!
MM is not one to make wholesale changes, he tweaked and does use the likes of Morris being versatile he must have player in so many roles and positions.
Could you clarify that please? What issue was raised at the meeting?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
As much as I hope we turn it around and make the play offs I just can't realistically see it. We are in a big slump and I can't see us coming out of it.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
There could be 40 games to play and it would make no difference unless we change our style of play. We rode our luck playing this defensive, negative hoofball for 75 mins and then hoping to nick something for a 1-0 earlier in the season, but it is now becoming too easy to beat. Get the creative players on the ball and give the guys up top a fighting chance..
We have not 'ridden our luck'. We are in the position we deserve to be, as is every other team in the division.

I don't accept your characterisation of our playing style, but any manager has to adapt to the players at his disposal. When Mellon had Cook and Norwood up front, we overpowered and outscored teams. We don't have that kind of firepower in the current squad. Hemmings is our only striker with a strong track record, and the others are all highly inexperienced. Glatzel is the best of them, but is injury prone.

Throwing more players up the pitch does not guarantee better results, as the last two games have shown. We opened out and took more risks in the final third in those matches, and conceded four and three respectively, with several of those goals coming from turnovers when we were attacking.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
One of the big problems at the moment is that when we do not open up, we look a million miles away from scoring. I am not saying we play hung-ho by any means but I think we need to be more adventurous from the start.

The last few games, we have done nothing of note in the first half and only responded when we inevitably lose a couple of goals.

Player
Manager
John King
One of the big problems at the moment is that when we do not open up, we look a million miles away from scoring. I am not saying we play hung-ho by any means but I think we need to be more adventurous from the start.

The last few games, we have done nothing of note in the first half and only responded when we inevitably lose a couple of goals.
That is a fair comment in relation to the recent games that we have lost, but not the numerous games earlier in the season which we won by applying Mellon's tactics, which took us to second place in the League.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Throwing more players up the pitch does not guarantee better results, as the last two games have shown. We opened out and took more risks in the final third in those matches, and conceded four and three respectively, with several of those goals coming from turnovers when we were attacking
Which several goals from turnovers?
Against Newport the first three goals had nothing whatsoever to do with us pushing forward or being turned over - we had plenty of players back for all 3. The 4th came straight back from a Doohan punt so no turnover either albeit we had only 3 back not 4.
Against Northampton the first two were from corners so we had 11 back whilst their third started in their Keeper's hands so we actually had 11 players behind the ball! Poor defending that's all.
By contrast when we opened up against Northampton having gone 3 down we surprise surprise actually looked decent.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
That is a fair comment in relation to the recent games that we have lost, but not the numerous games earlier in the season which we won by applying Mellon's tactics, which took us to second place in the League.
On our excellent run we more often than not scored the first goal and were able to see the game out which we are now seemingly not able to do, that when we don't score many goals is a big problem.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Against Newport the first three goals had nothing whatsoever to do with us pushing forward or being turned over - we had plenty of players back for all 3. The 4th came straight back from a Doohan punt so no turnover either albeit we had only 3 back not 4.
Against Northampton the first two were from corners so we had 11 back whilst their third started in their Keeper's hands so we actually had 11 players behind the ball! Poor defending that's all.
By contrast when we opened up against Northampton having gone 3 down we surprise surprise actually looked decent.
Absolutely spot on Add, thats exactly what happened in both matches.

Player
Manager
John King
For Newport's third and fourth goals we had pushed players up the pitch in an effort to get back into the game. We did not reset after scoring the equaliser, and they went straight back up the pitch and hit us with two sucker punches when we had lost our defensive shape.

For Northampton's third we had again taken risks and pushed players into advanced areas, as we did for the whole of the second half, and were out of shape when they scored.

In the closing stages of both games we lost our usual defensive shape, and committed players ahead of the ball in a desperate effort to get back into the game.

If you think we can take the kind of risks in throwing players forward that we did in the last half an hour at Northampton for the entire ninety minutes, and still keep clean sheets and win games, I think you are wrong.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
On our excellent run we more often than not scored the first goal and were able to see the game out which we are now seemingly not able to do, that when we don't score many goals is a big problem.
True, but we clearly showed enough creativity and a sufficient goalscoring threat to score the first goal week after week.

Last edited:

ADD

Player
Norwood
For Newport's third and fourth goals we had pushed players up the pitch in an effort to get back into the game. We did not reset after scoring the equaliser, and they went straight back up the pitch and hit us with two sucker punches when we had lost our defensive shape.

For Northampton's third we had again taken risks and pushed players into advanced areas, as we did for the whole of the second half, and were out of shape when they scored.

In the closing stages of both games we lost our usual defensive shape, and committed players ahead of the ball in a desperate effort to get back into the game.

If you think we can take the kind of risks in throwing players forward that we did in the last half an hour at Northampton for the entire ninety minutes, and still keep clean sheets and win games, I think you are wrong.
And I think you are.

Player
Manager
John King
Nonsense.
In my nonsensical mind, a 'turnover' is giving the ball away and transferring possession to the opposition, by whatever means.

The ball is 'turned over' when you lose possession. That is all the phrase means.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
That was such a long time ago and we don't look like doing it now especially away from home
This is the problem. We might have been doing it a while back but most importantly, we are not doing it now for whatever reason.

We have two home games coming up so let’s hope we can rekindle some kind of form. We have to start picking up points to stay in contention.

Player
Manager
John King
Going briefly off topic, and perhaps lightening the mood, it seems Everton could finally be relegated this season. They are regularly getting battered away from home, and their only recent victory came against Leeds when they were in meltdown just before Bielsa was sacked.

Lampard has no experience of a relegation battle, and I fancy Burnley to overtake them under Dyche.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
They looked very poor tonight. Will be a close one. Leeds are also on a terrible run and I think it will be either Burley, Everton or Leeds for the chop.