• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Monkey Hangars v Rovers

Match result

• Hartlepool

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Monkey Hangars v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Victoria Park
Tuesday, February 15, 2022 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, February 15, 2022 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It’s always the case with statistics. I hope we can agree that if we lose 50% of our remaining games it would be an achievement to make the play-offs.
I think that is highly unlikely with Mellon in charge.

Player
Manager
John King
I’m on record as saying that we ought to have strengthened defensively in the window but for whatever reason that didn’t happen. All the players added have been attacking players even Warrington is a predominantly attacking midfielder. Hence it puzzles why we are not adopting a more attacking approach with the resources at Micky’s disposal.
Our success this season has been founded on a strong defence, both the back four and the defensive work of the team as a whole, so there is no reason to fundamentally change that approach. We have improved the squad in the creative areas but we don't have a plethora of regular goalscorers, particularly in the absence of Glatzel.

We had more than enough possession in the opposition half in the second period last night, and it was a lack of quality that let us down, not a negative attitude.

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
I really dont know what game some people watch some times. The vast majority of the first half of season saw us adopting negative, try not to concede and hope to sneak it tactics, and it seems that is again the order of the day.

We are not making the most of our midfield and wide players and going route 1 to two strikers who must be so sick of jumping for aimless balls and trying to control the ball at neck height.

We know that Mellon is pragmatic, but we are getting outplayed and beaten by very, very mediocre teams.

The last 6 games have been dire with the exception of Swindon, and whilst we played very well that day, they rolled over to a certain degree (based upon the view from their fans that is the worst they have played in some time).

Despite what others on here might say, this style of football will not result in promotion, so we need to start playing with much more attacking purpose and getting the full backs further up the pitch to push teams back again. We have a fair amount of pace in the team compared to the start of the season, and young legs, so why are we playing a long ball game that completely negates all of those assets?

Port Vale game is now huge, win well and we can kick on. I dont want us to set up to try and nick a 0-0, lets have a go at teams and not make it so easy for them.

Reactions: ADD
Player
Manager
John King
I really dont know what game some people watch some times. The vast majority of the first half of season saw us adopting negative, try not to concede and hope to sneak it tactics, and it seems that is again the order of the day.

We are not making the most of our midfield and wide players and going route 1 to two strikers who must be so sick of jumping for aimless balls and trying to control the ball at neck height.

We know that Mellon is pragmatic, but we are getting outplayed and beaten by very, very mediocre teams.

The last 6 games have been dire with the exception of Swindon, and whilst we played very well that day, they rolled over to a certain degree (based upon the view from their fans that is the worst they have played in some time).

Despite what others on here might say, this style of football will not result in promotion, so we need to start playing with much more attacking purpose and getting the full backs further up the pitch to push teams back again. We have a fair amount of pace in the team compared to the start of the season, and young legs, so why are we playing a long ball game that completely negates all of those assets?

Port Vale game is now huge, win well and we can kick on. I dont want us to set up to try and nick a 0-0, lets have a go at teams and not make it so easy for them.
I have watched a team that has won 16 out of 32 games and is second in the league.

It is completely illogical to suggest our style of play can't win promotion when we are actually sitting in a promotion position, and our manager is a serial promotion winner.

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
I have watched a team that has won 16 out of 32 games and is second in the league.

It is completely illogical to suggest our style of play can't win promotion when we are actually sitting in a promotion position, and our manager is a serial promotion winner.
You are wrong.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
The frustration for me last night was on the few occasions we played it on the deck, we looked like a decent team. However, I’m agreeing with those who have lamented our by-passing of midfield as this happened far too frequently for my liking and was ineffective yesterday; I’m not sure it’s been effective at all in recent seasons and always causes me some consternation. Pass and move is the order of the day; a common football mantra that I’m happy to cite all day long. The only time I’d reluctantly endorse “Hail Mary” football is with the last few minutes on the clock; desperation time if you will. We haven’t become a bad team overnight, but I’d like us to reset to a default mode of playing to our strengths; I’m a believer that we have the quality to play that way; do we really have an identity right now with regards to a consistent football style? You can argue that the missing players have an impact but the contrast from Swindon is palpable; did we invest everything physically and emotionally into that game, understandable considering the circumstances, and are suffering some fatigue backlash? More questions than answers.
Big win (any win I’ll class as a big win :)) against Port Vale on Saturday will heal some wounds. I’m keeping the faith for now at least.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
What do people want? Open attractive football? Or winning football? You can’t always have both. We’re second in the league - would you prefer to draw 4-4 or grind out a 1-0 win?
Apart from FGR I suspect all other 22 teams in the division would love to be in our position.
RLC is spot on in that we’ve had to play to our strengths and be pragmatic. I loved it when we had cookie, Nors, Jennings etc in the national league. But we don’t have those types of league 2 players so need to build on a good defensive record and up to now, it’s gotten us into the automatic promotion places.
Yes it’s frustrating at times and sometimes not entertaining, plus I have worries about the next few games, however at the moment WE’RE SECOND IN THE LEAGUE !!

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
“Poor poor poor”, not my words, but people are entitled to express themselves; it’s a release and it’s healthy. I’m also glad we’re still in second place. I wouldn’t shy away from the odd 4-4 :thumbsup: and have been content with any victory. Swindon was sublime though (work-rate alone was phenomenal) and we set the bar high, although I’m realistic enough to know those treats are few and far between.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
What do people want? Open attractive football? Or winning football? You can’t always have both. We’re second in the league - would you prefer to draw 4-4 or grind out a 1-0 win?
Apart from FGR I suspect all other 22 teams in the division would love to be in our position.
RLC is spot on in that we’ve had to play to our strengths and be pragmatic. I loved it when we had cookie, Nors, Jennings etc in the national league. But we don’t have those types of league 2 players so need to build on a good defensive record and up to now, it’s gotten us into the automatic promotion places.
Yes it’s frustrating at times and sometimes not entertaining, plus I have worries about the next few games, however at the moment WE’RE SECOND IN THE LEAGUE !!
Hopefully we will finish in the top 3 but I get the feeling that we are starting to go like we did last season when we just scraped into the play offs and then last at first hurdle

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Well said, Sparky. Whether we are in a run of defeats or not, we are second in the league and have our destiny in our hands.

When I logged on this evening after a few hours break, I was amazed to see 36 new posts in this thread alone. I thought Micky had been sacked or Palios had sold the club to Steve Dale.

Let's be positive. It's actually quite sobering to think that our expectations are so high that two consecutive away defeats seems as bad as relegation to the National League.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It was actually me that said “poor poor poor” and it was. But on reflection, over the course of the season so far we’ve been the second best team in the league.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The injuries are really going to hurt us though. OConnor has been excellent in recent weeks. Spearing has his ups and downs but overall we need him. Glatzel was looking sharp. Without those three it’s a massive loss

Player
Manager
John King
Th

Hopefully we will finish in the top 3 but I get the feeling that we are starting to go like we did last season when we just scraped into the play offs and then last at first hurdle
I understand the anxiety, but Mellon is no Keith Hill. Our injury problems at the moment are arguably greater than we had towards the end of last season, but I have faith in Mellon's ability to adapt and adjust and keep us in touch until the injured players return.

Player
Manager
John King
The frustration for me last night was on the few occasions we played it on the deck, we looked like a decent team. However, I’m agreeing with those who have lamented our by-passing of midfield as this happened far too frequently for my liking and was ineffective yesterday; I’m not sure it’s been effective at all in recent seasons and always causes me some consternation. Pass and move is the order of the day; a common football mantra that I’m happy to cite all day long. The only time I’d reluctantly endorse “Hail Mary” football is with the last few minutes on the clock; desperation time if you will. We haven’t become a bad team overnight, but I’d like us to reset to a default mode of playing to our strengths; I’m a believer that we have the quality to play that way; do we really have an identity right now with regards to a consistent football style? You can argue that the missing players have an impact but the contrast from Swindon is palpable; did we invest everything physically and emotionally into that game, understandable considering the circumstances, and are suffering some fatigue backlash? More questions than answers.
Big win (any win I’ll class as a big win :)) against Port Vale on Saturday will heal some wounds. I’m keeping the faith for now at least.
Yes, I agree about keeping the ball on the floor. I think it is partly because when we play with two strikers we sometimes feel we have to move the ball from back to front too quickly, but I think fatigue also plays apart. Clarke was the biggest culprit last night for just knocking the ball long, and I think when players are mentally tired they take the 'easy' option of launching the ball rather than looking for a more difficult pass.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I understand the anxiety, but Mellon is no Keith Hill. Our injury problems at the moment are arguably greater than we had towards the end of last season, but I have faith in Mellon's ability to adapt and adjust and keep us in touch until the injured players return.
Time will tell.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
All very entertaining and interesting to hear the different views being aired. I'm just hoping that we start talking about the Vale match soon and hopefully win handsomely to put the discussion on hold, at least for a while. Call me a pedant but what's actually annoying me more than anything else is the number of comments put on a thread whose title brings to mind apes being held in a structure built to house aeroplanes. Bring on "Rovers v Vol-au-vents" ...

ADD

Player
Norwood
It's the concern for sure and why many posters are nervous given 7 points from the last 18... as it is Exeter almost certainly and potentially two more will be above us when their games in hand are played but things change quickly. Much will likely depend on how our injuries stack up over the next few weeks. We can but hope players come back sooner than later and we do not lose any more.