• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL Cup Latics v Rovers

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Will be interesting to see how we handle this. While it's not a competition we've done well in recently, the impression is that money is tight at Rovers so progressing and a decent draw would be worth aiming for.

I'm not expecting a lot of changes. Merrie may be unavailable, depending on what action is taken regarding his debatable red card, how did Maguire look during his late cameo? Doohan possibly in for Murphy and after that it's down to fitness issues and whether Micky wants to try changing anything else.

Oldham lost to a late Kevin Ellison winner at the weekend in a game where it sounded like the keepers were more underworked than at PP. A few late additions to the squad, none of whom appear particularly noteworthy, while the lad who scored a worldie to grab a point off us last season didn't feature in the opener with talk of him moving on.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
In his post match interview Micky suggested there would be some rotation due to bumps and bruises, but I think he will play as close to his strongest line up as possible. Maguire had covid and presumably has not trained a great deal, but will probably have to start at left back. I would expect Murphy to play in this match, with Doohan used in the Pizza Trophy games initially.

Oldham have a few decent players in their squad, such as Nicky Adams and Hallum Hope, but the scorer of their spectacular goal at Prenton Park last season, Dylan Bahamboula, was missing on Saturday due to covid. The Latics are still in a bit of a mess off the pitch and will probably finish in the bottom half again, and I think we should be targeting a victory in this game, even if we have a few absences. Harrison McGahey is another familiar name in the Oldham squad, at least vaguely familiar. He was one of the many 'blink and you will miss him' loanees during the disastrous Mickey Adams season.

I was surprised to read we have not won a League Cup tie since beating Bolton on penalties in 2013, a record that will hopefully end on Tuesday night. I would guess about 6-700 Rovers fans will make the trip, with a more attractive fixture at Port Vale to follow on Saturday.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
There is a case for giving Murphy a rest and trying out Doohan, although Joe seemed to cope with a busy schedule last year. Clarke could probably do with a break, but only if NKP is fit. (Strangely, we have the same number of goalkeepers as central defenders - and desperately need cover there and at right-back.) Having said that, I expect Maguire for Merrie to be the only change.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Our recent record is very poor in this competition but we should have a very good chance against a poor team, fancy another 1 0 win.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I guess Micky may be tempted to go easy on the likes of mcmanaman and feeeney who put a lot into Saturday but as the bench showed on Saturday, we need more numbers in so I agree there will be very few changes

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I was surprised to read we have not won a League Cup tie since beating Bolton on penalties in 2013, a record that will hopefully end on Tuesday night. I would guess about 6-700 Rovers fans will make the trip, with a more attractive fixture at Port Vale to follow on Saturday.
It's not too surprising if you think about it. In 2014, we were drawn against Nottingham Forest (then two divisions above us). We then missed out with three years in the NL. In 2018 and 2019 we were drawn against teams in a higher league. Only last season did we let ourselves down losing to Harrogate, but then we had Mike Jackson in charge. Apart from 2020, this is the first time we have played opposition at the same level.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It's not too surprising if you think about it. In 2014, we were drawn against Nottingham Forest (then two divisions above us). We then missed out with three years in the NL. In 2018 and 2019 we were drawn against teams in a higher league. Only last season did we let ourselves down losing to Harrogate, but then we had Mike Jackson in charge. Apart from 2020, this is the first time we have played opposition at the same level.
Yes, I appreciate the history and our absence from the League, but it is still a long time without a victory in the competition given our general success of the last three or four years. We have won plenty of FA Cup games since our return to the League, some against higher opposition.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Yes, I appreciate the history and our absence from the League, but it is still a long time without a victory in the competition given our general success of the last three or four years. We have won plenty of FA Cup games since our return to the League, some against higher opposition.
I think we are not at our best at the start of the season (rarely win our first league game) but get into our stride eventually.

Player
aldo
3-0 rovers thats what my head is saying either way let's just get it done no extra time plz or stupid sendings off

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Oldham mustered zero shots on target in their last game against Newport so it looks like they have problems upfront. I don't expect too many changes but putting Doohan in for Murphy as BBTC suggests seems a good idea. I don't expect too many changes but at least Micky will be able to make some changes as the game goes on. 2-0 Rovers.

Player
aldo
it would be great to get the front two lads off, think when young paul gets his first he will go on a mad run I just get a feeling on that 1

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I would think Maguire for Merrie the only change, not sure who would then be on bench maybe Burton if neither Macdonald or nkp are available.
I'm going for a win for us 2 1.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Rumour that Nevitt will start tonight, presume it will be in a central striking role.
I'm obviously not sure whether the club are feeling the same concern as we are regarding the acquirement of a new striker. If they are, it makes good sense to have a proper look at what we already have on our books. If he plays, I would pair him with Glatzel as much on the basis that we have a far better idea what Mani can do at this level as anything else. Best case we get a goal or 2 from them (then who knows), worst case they have another tick in the development box (and we end up out of the Carabao Cup!). Sounds like a reasonable shout to me.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
2-0 win with Nevitt and Glatzel doing the honours. Maybe give Jay and McNanaman a rest.

Doohan
Cogley. Clarke. Davies. McGuire
Foley
Feeney, Watson, Morris
Nevitt, Glatzel
Not a bad shout that line up.