• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL Cup Latics v Rovers

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It was very disappointing that we failed to go through from being 2 up and reliant on commentary it's hard to assess exactly how the game went. It sounded like Oldham were on top until we took the lead, but after we'd doubled in, giving a goal back straightaway didn't help and after Oldham had levelled there were chances at both ends, but the Latics having more possession.

It didn't sound like either of our missed penalties were hopeless, but more decent saves from their keeper. Clarke has taken penalties in shoot-outs for us before and scored, unsure about Feeney's record from the spot? Given how strapped we are for cash, it is hard to take any positives out of this failure to progress, although hopefully some individual performances will be highlighted by RLC and others who actually saw the action. Going by the commentary alone, Foley was probably our MoM

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
rumoured that Norwood may be going on loan to.... Wrexham. What is going on!
If it does happen it will be interesting to see if Norwood and Mullin can work together as a front pair, after they rarely played together during their time at Rovers.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Although Wrexham would have the funds to pay Nors wages I would be astonished if he went there.

back to the game, as Bozs says for financial reasons it is disappointing. The only positive being nevitts first Tranmere goal

drwhoman

Although Wrexham would have the funds to pay Nors wages I would be astonished if he went there.

back to the game, as Bozs says for financial reasons it is disappointing. The only positive being nevitts first Tranmere goal
Nors Injured again in Ipswich home loss to Newport! He has become a real sicknore!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Disappointing to be out of the competition, but a really enjoyable evening and a good end to end match. I think we should have won the game in ninety minutes based on our second half performance, and there were plenty of positives to take from the display, not least the performances of Glatzel and Nevitt.

In the first half we looked disjointed with so many changes to the starting line up and could not get up to the pace of the game. Nevitt looked uncomfortable operating as a lone striker and could not keep hold of the ball, and we missed Spearing's composure in midfield. Oldham were well on top and stout defending by the two centre halves and Cogley kept us in the game, before we scored a cracking goal against the run of play, with fantastic skill from Glatzel and a great burst into the box from Foley. a side of his game I was not previously aware of.

In the second half we were much sharper, got a grip of midfield and dominated possession. Oldham were threatening on the break, but given the balance of play and having scored the second goal we should have seen the game out. However, while Oldham's first goal was the result of poor defending, there was an element of fortune with their second, a good ball into the box which Davies had to go for, and unfortunately glanced into his own net. We thought we had won it in normal time, when Glatzel again assisted Mani for a clever finish, but the ball had previously gone out of play.

Of the newcomers, Nevitt struggled as the central striker in a front three, but came alive in the box for his goal, a really cool finish after another good team move, with Cogley getting the assist. What a fantastic moment for him, and needless to say he injured himself in the goal celebration with the SWA going berserk ! Foley was really solid defensively in the first half, before unexpectedly popping up for his goal. Doohan looks a reasonable shot stopper, but seemed to be reluctant to come for crosses and could perhaps have done better in the shoot out. Maguire was really poor defensively in the first half with the majority of Oldham's attacks coming down his side: he got a b*ll*cking from Clarke after about twenty minutes.

Elsewhere, I thought Glatzel was excellent again, both centre halves and Cogley were very good, and Morris much improved in the second half.

I think being knocked out could actually be a blessing in disguise until the squad is beefed up, and on tonight's evidence I have every confidence that we will again finish above Oldham in the table.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Thanks for the report RLC. Despite the result there are clearly some positives especially glatzel who can hopefully open his rovers account soon. The left back sounds a bit of a worry although I guess his fitness could be lacking. Pleased for nevitt and just a shame Manis goal didn’t stand. As you say more numbers needed and hopefully we’ll get some in before Saturday.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Both goals by us were good moves but the two conceded were poor. We switched off for a short corner and the own goal is disappoint although a decent ball in.
Sounds like Nevitt may have an injury so the striker search may be even more important.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
So our run of defeats in this competition continues. It must be a record or approaching one. Incidentally, I believe that this is the first time we have lost a match after taking the lead since the equivalent tie last season against Harrogate. Without checking, I don’t think we’ve lost after being two goals ahead since Swindon away three years ago.

Like RLC, I’m trying to look at the positives. Micky will have learned a lot more than if we had played our full side and certain players will have boosted their confidence. But as always, I’d rather we’d have won. :(

ADD

Player
Norwood
Decent enough game with both sides going for the win.
Shame in retrospect we didn't play Murphy last night (although I 100% understand why MM wanted to give game time to Doohan) as I feel he would have given us a much better chance of winning on penalties. Doohan was ok I felt with one decent save from a header in the first half and certainly seemed confident enough but not great on their first - beaten at the near post (although the defending was awful) and out of position for the one it looped over him when they hit the post.
Not sure we deserved to win it outright TBH as Oldham were by far the better team in the first half when we were awful but second half for sure we upped our game massively and ended up having as much posession as them.
Pleased for Nevitt and thought Mani was good when he came on - shame his "goal" was ruled out but hopefully he will take confidence from having put it in the net anyhow.
Glatzel was again very good and is already way better quality and decision making wise than the average L2 player. Think he will continue to grow as he gets used to the rough and tumble of L2 and will be critical for us this year... played more through the middle at times second half I noticed which I think was a good call.
Foley also was very solid and a very nice goal.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thanks to RLC and ADD for the reports. On their goals it looked like poor defending and keeping for the first, if that had not been conceded fairly soon after Nevitt's goal, then things might have turned out very different.

Scott Davies was co-commentating. It's interesting hearing from a current player in these circumstances and though he was mostly diplomatic, as you'd expect, he did highlight that Maguire was having a testing game, hence the switch to the back 3.

drwhoman

Thanks to RLC and ADD for the reports. On their goals it looked like poor defending and keeping for the first, if that had not been conceded fairly soon after Nevitt's goal, then things might have turned out very different.

Scott Davies was co-commentating. It's interesting hearing from a current player in these circumstances and though he was mostly diplomatic, as you'd expect, he did highlight that Maguire was having a testing game, hence the switch to the back 3.
Joe Maguire is a decent enough player. Did someone say he had had Covid? As we all know that can have long term effects - tiredness etc. Does anyone know when MacDonald is likely to return?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Joe Maguire is a decent enough player. Did someone say he had had Covid? As we all know that can have long term effects - tiredness etc. Does anyone know when MacDonald is likely to return?
Think he had covid, Macdonald has shin splints not sure if he's back training yet or not.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We missed out on a home tie v Accrington Stanley, who we beat in the FA Cup last year.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I don't think that would have been the draw actually, as we would have had a different number to Oldham.

I still think going out is a blessing in some ways, until the squad building is complete.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy