• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Gillingham (1) v Rovers (1)

Match result

• Gillls

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Rovers

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Gillingham (1) v Rovers (1)
Posted by Ian
Priestfield Stadium
Saturday, March 9, 2024 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, March 9, 2024 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The Gillingham forum fans assessment of Luke Norris was that he hadn’t changed, was whiny and wanted everything put on a plate for him. He was with them for a couple of seasons averaging a goal every 4 games.

While I haven’t seen enough of him to form a definite opinion, was surprised at such a negative assessment from them. It may be he’s matured since, his record at Stevenage was decent. On what I have seen looked half decent, but perhaps that’s partially down to the novelty of having a target man type forward. As Ian and others have said, he’s clearly rusty from a long spell out and Nigel seems happy with his progress.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Immaterial of course but gives some hope for next season, albeit I fear how we’ll Cope without Apter
That there is the difference. If you want to be competing at the top you need quality players. Big summer clearout needed with better quality coming in. Easier said than done I suppose!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
On the dark arts, agree we’re not adept enough though there was a suggestion McGee’s thigh injury midway through the second half was faked to engineer a breather.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
On the dark arts, agree we’re not adept enough though there was a suggestion McGee’s thigh injury midway through the second half was faked to engineer a breather.
Yes, he had a slight chuckle with the physio.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Norris was excellent earlier in the season when he was fully fit, certainly one of the best target men we have had in recent years. We can't judge him when he is nowhere near match fitness.

I always take comments from opposition supporters about ex-players with a pinch of salt.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Interesting post match. As well as the usual post match tribute to Connor Jennings :) , Nigel rattled off some interesting stats that since he took over permanently in November, if the league had started then we’d be 4th in the league and 2nd on goal scorers.
It is actually a remarkable record when you consider the situation he inherited.

Player
Aldo
The Gillingham forum fans assessment of Luke Norris was that he hadn’t changed, was whiny and wanted everything put on a plate for him. He was with them for a couple of seasons averaging a goal every 4 games.

While I haven’t seen enough of him to form a definite opinion, was surprised at such a negative assessment from them. It may be he’s matured since, his record at Stevenage was decent. On what I have seen looked half decent, but perhaps that’s partially down to the novelty of having a target man type forward. As Ian and others have said, he’s clearly rusty from a long spell out and Nigel seems happy with his progress.
thing is, Norris scored a bundle for Stevenage, so if you set it up for him he can deliver. The same could by said for Mullin on his move to Cambridge. There is also Dennis, Hemmings who turn up with a decent ration and then ......

Player
Aldo
Interesting post match. As well as the usual post match tribute to Connor Jennings :) , Nigel rattled off some interesting stats that since he took over permanently in November, if the league had started then we’d be 4th in the league and 2nd on goal scorers.

Immaterial of course but gives some hope for next season, albeit I fear how we’ll Cope without Apter
Isn't November when Apter was put in the starting line up. So many of the goals are down down to Robbie.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Isn't November when Apter was put in the starting line up. So many of the goals are down down to Robbie.
Yes and you’d like to think the club already have a list of replacements for him and similar type players as Nigel I’m sure will want to continue his counter attacking type tactics next season and Hawkes will be gone too so we’ll need more pace.
I like Morris but one thing he isn’t is quick

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Norris was excellent earlier in the season when he was fully fit, certainly one of the best target men we have had in recent years. We can't judge him when he is nowhere near match fitness.

I always take comments from opposition supporters about ex-players with a pinch of salt.

thing is, Norris scored a bundle for Stevenage, so if you set it up for him he can deliver. The same could by said for Mullin on his move to Cambridge. There is also Dennis, Hemmings who turn up with a decent ration and then ......
I agree that Norris started brightly for us in the handful of games he played early on and perhaps he wasn't fully fit at that point after a while out. Then got injured and on return quickly picked up the injury requiring his operation. He's still a bit rusty and being eased back to full fitness. It's been a while since Rovers played with an obvious target-man forward, so arguably the novelty makes it more difficult to evaluate how he's doing.

MS makes a point about the Gills fans being knowledgeable and on the whole those posting on their forum gave a similar impression. It's interesting hearing what opposing fans think, though how much weight you attach to the comments is a different matter.

It doesn't feel like a final decision has been made on Norris yet. He's being given every opportunity to get back into full fitness and earn a new deal. Perhaps not given so much that he liked yesterday, the stats suggest only one goal attempt from Luke, but expect that's something Nigel will be working on.