• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Gateshead v Rovers

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Anyone who had predicted that result with the goalscorers would have been laughed off the forum! The last time we won our first two games was 2012/13, when we spent half the season at the top of League One before sliding down the leagues into the National. Massive credit to GB - and to the three defenders from last season's shambles who have picked themselves up, got into the team, withstood Gateshead's attacks for half an hour and then got onto tonight's scoresheet. Morale must have gone through the roof. According to the OS, Matt Hill's goal is a cracker. Apparently, the SWA numbered 453, which is incredible for a midweek game so far away. I hope one of them takes the time to post a report.

Last edited:

Kelti5

Player
Pat Nevin
MY first post here. As no-one else has, I guess its my Duty to report on the match.
When the team was announced I was surprised by the apparent attacking formation. Rovers imposed themselves from the kick-off and clearly were intent on going for the win. Although we were dominating possession and getting forward few real chances were created, gradually Gateshead began to get into the game particularly in the wide positions looking dangerous on the break. Then Rovers seemed to find their feet, getting the ball down, playing a passing game. Much criticised Cole Stockton started slowly, but began to show what he can do holding the ball, bringing the very willing to get forward Rovers players into the game. Ridehalgh and Maynard impressing. Rovers wanted to work the ball into the box, looking confident with intelligent overlaps and passing. The goal came with Rovers getting numbers forward, Ridehalgh deservedly getting himself in the right place to stroke the ball home.
From this point Rovers simply grew, central defenders supremely dealing with Gateshead attacks. Second goal duly came and was somewhat cruelly announced as an own goal, the ball coming off a defenders chest, the defender had no chance of avoiding a goal bound, bullet header from Richie Sutton who should have the credit of the goal.
By the time the impressive Ihiekwe banged in the third Rovers were dominant, threatening to score at every opportunity.
Gateshead pulled one back just before the break with Shaw unmarked, unchallenged, nodding in from a great cross.
Ridehalgh surprisingly was subbed at half-time, I suspect having picked up a knock in the first half. Gateshead had clearly had a roasting from their manager at half time coming forward well down the flanks, but Rovers hadn't finished with them yet, Matt Hill took what seemed a speculative shot from the left touchline, a long way out, which their keeper could only watch in static horror as it somehow went in on the far side of the goal. Matt Hill was delighted, we were too! I think in him we have an influential, inspirational player.
There was a great turn out from SWA who were in great voice and utterly dominated their crowd in a soulless venue. How lucky we are to have Prenton Park!
A great day out!!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Thanks Kelti. Seems to take us 15-20 mins to get into the game, it was the same against Woking, but once we do, we look quite assured. Defence holds out well and we look more dangerous on the attack.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Thanks to Kelti for the report.

Reading the comments of some of the Gateshead fans, it seems we controlled the midfield last night, as we did to a large extent on Saturday. I think central midfield is the strongest part of the team and gives us a real edge in this division: I don't think any other side has a trio as good as Harris, Jennings and Maynard.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'd echo the thanks to Kelti for the informative report on what sounded an impressive performance. It's been a better start than I was expecting.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think players like Jennings are probably too good for this league. I've just seen Matt Hill's goal. Strange one, wouldn't say it was a screamer as it seemed to lack power but it was well placed and just seemed to sail into the corner. Loved the celebration too!