• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Gateshead v Rovers

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
We go again on Tuesday night, will be interesting to see what changes, if any, Brabin makes following the opening game. Anyone going? ;)

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Gateshead are one of the smaller clubs with a bit of money and I think this game could be tougher than Saturday. They have certainly brought in some decent players in the summer, and Bowman and Johnson (once of this parish) will be a handful up front.

Under former manager Gary Mills they had a reputation as a footballing side; if Malcolm Crosby continues that tradition it might suit Rovers, as we may be able to get the ball down and play a bit more than on Saturday. It will be intersting to see what formation Brabin starts with. Ideally, I would like to see us play two strikers with one of Mangan or Margetts on the pitch, but I get the feeling we may opt for a cautious 4-5-1 again in a tricky away game.

I am gutted I won't be able to make it, but I will be at Braintree on Saturday. I would take a point.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
No, not going to this, my first away likely to be Southport in September.

The hosts started with a good away win at Aldershot, Ryan Bowman, who we'd also tried to recruit getting both goals. Danny Johnson, who we had on loan last season, also now plays for them and they're managed by ex-Sunderland boss Malcolm Crosby, is about the extent of my knowledge.

Gary Brabin was fairly coy about his reasons for the starting xi v Woking. Norwood is unlikely to be fit, so would expect some change to the starting line-up, but unsure what. I'd play Margetts or Mangan alongside Stockton, but if we do go 451, as RLC anticipates, would try Margetts in the lone striker role.

I'd settle for a point too.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We can win this but need to be more positive in the final third. Mangan alongside the lightweight Stockton. 2-0.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes this will be a test for our newly created side and it will be interesting how Hogan & Sutton deal with their decent front 2.

Had Norwood not been injured I would have expected an unchanged line up. If missing I still think he will go with 4-5-1 but bring in someone like Mekki who (if fit), could possibly do a better defensive job than Mangan or Margetts playing out wide.

Personally I would play two up top but I think he'll do as little as possible to change a winning side. So Cole on his own up front but this will be a real test. I just hope we don't have to change it to something like 4-4-2 because we're losing and the damage will have already been done.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Norwood didn't look fit on Saturday or was that just me? Seemed a little off the pace.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I agree Ian. But not a total surprise given 1) he didn't really feature in any pre season friendlies and 2) his fitness record at forest green last season wasn't great. He did take a knock in the 2nd half too.

I don't think he offered much before he went off and am assuming GB doesn't think mangan or Margetts could play in that wide position so our only other option is Mekki on the right.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It will be interesting to see what changes are made to the formation and whether it's because it's an away game or just to improve on Saturday. Either way, I'm a little pessimistic. I think Gateshead will prove stronger opposition, particularly on their own ground, and I'm expecting a hard-fought game resulting in a narrow defeat, perhaps 1-2.

Saturday's result was our first 1-0 success at home for 18 months and if we win again at Gateshead it will be our first back-to-back victories in the league for a similar period.

Paul Roach

Player
Ian Muir, Kenny Irons
I think tonight will be tough game. I am assuming GB will go on the side of caution with one up front and stop them coming at us from the start. I have a feeling it might be 1 - 1, I hope not so fingers crossed for a good away win.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Hopeful of a win and a clean sheet. If we play the same side we will probably have to rely on midfield for goals.

We have signed strikers and I would have hoped one or two would be good enough and fit enough to be ahead of Cole in the pecking order as I honestly think he may be just be about conference class when he achieves his potential - and still think he has a way to go before that. I have read elsewhere, possibly on OS, that he is the only real target man type in the squad? I would disagree that he is strong and athletic enough to fulfil this role - not sure about the other strikers - although data elsewhere does show one of two are 6ft. Equally this does not mean they could do it either. If that is the case we should just play a more mobile set up whether two up top or one supported by a mobile wide midfield...including Mekki.

Would settle for being unbeaten after two games.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Mangan up front with Cole - hopefully help get more out of Cole than previous:)

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, he certainly needs a partner up front. Looks like a standard 442 then. Erm, is Jennings in defence?

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
No Ian _ don't think so. Iheiekwe, Sutton, Hogan and Hill are in there somewhere. Talking of Cole - he has just set Ridehalgh up for the opener...happy days:)

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
now 3 :)

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
4.. commanding display here.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
4-1 to the whites. Real solid performance and a realy good start to the campaign with 2 wins in 2. Nice to see some not so familiar names on the scoresheet too!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Well I never expected that!! And all those defenders scoring too!!

Will be nice when our strikers start scoring but going to enjoy a great win against a good side.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Fantastic and unexpected result. Sounds like we played some great football in creating the goals and there were a number of outstanding performances. It also seems that Mangan made a real difference with his movement and awareness.

Pleased for Ridehalgh, scoring one and setting up two. He has been very good in his more advanced role and I just hope he did not pick up a knock tonight. Pleased for Hilly scoring his worldy as well. Effectively, our defence scored all four goals and it has to be encouraging to see the goalscoring spread around the team. As Sparky says, we will be awesome when our strikers start scoring !

It is very early days, but a few of the 'big hitters' have started the season strongly, and it was important for Rovers to match (or better) them.