• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Gary Mills

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As you say TT it would have been great to get someone in before Saturday but alas it wasn't to be.

Who knows. It would be nice to know why he turned us down - maybe he saw our club as one on a big downward spiral and felt he wouldnt be able to stop it !

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Did we even make an official approach for him? I don't think we should look too much into it at this stage. The season isn't even over yet.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
hes confirmed he spoke to us but was not our first choice as manager so chose Wrexham where he was there first choice

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The local press in Wrexham have confirmed that we offered him a bigger budget, so money was not the issue. I would guess he was deterred by having to start the squad building from scratch at Rovers, and probably with a little more pressure than he will be under at a fan owned club, albeit Wrexham will still be desperate to go up.

If he was not our first choice, let us hope we get someone better. ;)

M

Mal

However, not clear who the other person is who is of interest to Tranmere

Player
Manager
John King
The Macclesfield manager, John Askey, is now one of the favourites with the bookies. Could be a contender.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's all rather puzzling, who the mystery other candidate is. Mention on another site of Craig Harrison, the TNS manager, who was also linked with the Wrexham job.

While I don't think that the Palioi will be considering the Stalybridge kit man, as everyone else drops out, it would be be good to see a relatively early appointment.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes given the likely overhaul of the squad we could do with someone in early. Some bookies favouries are James Beattie, Askey from Macclesfield who just missed out on the play offs and Martin Allen.

I don't want Beattie who has no conference experience. Askey has had a good season and Allen although often the party villain, has took Barnet up but has spent most of his career in the south.

Hopefully more news in the next 24/48 hours.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Sorry in a way that Gary Mills chose Wrexham, but clearly he didn't want us enough to fight it out with the other man, so good luck to him. Surely it can't be Martin Allen for the reasons above, the fact that I can't believe he'd want to leave Barnet and also the history he has with us. I remember a few years ago he resigned from Brentford and the rumours were that he was on his way here - but I think that was when Ronnie joined us for his first spell. It would be nice to get someone in to look at the side on Saturday, but more importantly it must be the right man. I suspect the other candidate is still under contract and his name can't be announced.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, sounded like Mills wasn't comfortable with another contender. Good luck to him at Wrexham. I think MP has said he wants someone with conference experience so that rules a few of the names out.

http://www.thesackrace.com/teams/tranmere-rovers

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Gary Brabin the new favourite - indeed some bookes have closed the market.

Has recently been a coach at Everton having left Southport. Has a good record at this level, is local (I think), and takes no nonsense

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Has a good record at this level, is local (I think), and takes no nonsense
I like the sound of him. We need discipline and someone who isn't afraid to tell it like it is.

Player
Manager
John King
It seems that Gary Brabin is a shoo-in, and is bringing his former assistant Paul Carden with him too, which will not please Southport fans.

He got Luton and Cambridge to the Conference play-offs, is local and knows non-league football, so could be the man we need.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes on paper it sounds a decent appointment. Fingers crossed.

Let's just hope George Donnelly stays at Southport though! They can keep him!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don't know enough about most Conference managers to say whether this will be a good appointment or not. Having looked at a few Conference forums, the consensus seems to be Mills is the better manager, with Brabin's best managerial performance reckoned to be with struggling Southport. Unsure about this one.

Player
Manager
John King
Any managerial appointment carries risks, as we discovered last season. In the circumstances, I don't think we could do much better than Brabin. The only managers with a better record at non-league level, such as John Still, would be out of our reach.