• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Gary Mills

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Could be appointed as our new manager very shortly if rumours are to be believed. He is apparently being interviewed by the club tomorrow, but has also been in talks with Wrexham.

He is the current Gateshead manager and guided them to the Conference play offs last season. He previously won promotion from the Conference with York.

He seems to be highly regarded in non-league circles and apparently has a good knowledge of football at that level. I know very little about him, but could be a good appointment.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Palios said he wanted someone with knowledge of this level so it makes sense. I guess much will depend on what financial backing he'll get but good to get someone in early.

I wouldn't have minded challinor who has a few seasons under his belt albeit at a lower level but may take fylde up in the conference North play offs. But as I say, mills has done well at this level so hopefully a good fit.

It'll be a shame if he turns us down for Wrexham tho...

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Already important decisions need to be made to shape the future. We definately need someone with experience at this level. I also think he needs to come in ASAP so he has plenty of time to assess what he's got and what he needs for next season. Don't know too much about this guy but he's had some success at this level.

Record on soccerbase:

Gateshead (win ratio 45%)
Games: 103
Won: 46
Drawn: 32
Lost: 25

York (win ratio 43%)
Games: 136
Won: 58
Drawn: 45
Lost: 33

Tamworth (win ratio 38%)
Games: 188
Won: 71
Drawn: 53
Lost: 64

Notts Co (win ratio 25%)
Games: 40
Won: 10
Drawn: 11
Lost: 19

Player
Manager
John King
Dave Challinor could also be a good appointment, but a bit more of risk due to his inexperience.

I doubt Mills would turn us down for Wrexham, although he may not come for other reasons. One of the few benefits of being in the Conference is that we will be a very attractive proposition to managers and players at that level.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's by no means a given that he will join us. Wrexham have a decent squad at Conference level who under-achieved, whereas whoever takes us on will largely have to start from scratch.

Two other caveats regarding Mills. He usually improves a team from taking it on, but then seems to reach an impasse. For example, having got York back into the league, he was replaced when they were in danger of dropping back into the Conference. Also he seems to have little history of bringing on younger players, which I think Palios is keen on.

While a swift appointment is good, it is absolutely crucial that we get the right man this time.

Player
Manager
John King
Two other caveats regarding Mills. He usually improves a team from taking it on, but then seems to reach an impasse. For example, having got York back into the league, he was replaced when they were in danger of dropping back into the Conference. Also he seems to have little history of bringing on younger players, which I think Palios is keen on.

While a swift appointment is good, it is absolutely crucial that we get the right man this time.

I agree that this is probably the most important managerial appointment in our history, but relegation to the Conference probably changes the selection criteria. The key requirement is getting out of the Conference: other considerations will be of less significance, at least in the short term.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree that this is probably the most important managerial appointment in our history, but relegation to the Conference probably changes the selection criteria. The key requirement is getting out of the Conference: other considerations will be of less significance, at least in the short term.
Adams was a short-term 'firefighting' appointment which didn't work. I certainly agree that getting out of the Conference is a priority. However, look at the likes of Wrexham, Grimsby and Lincoln, established league sides who haven't bounced back after relegation. Or Luton, who despite being relegated due to a points deduction took an age to get back into the League. Then there are sides like Forest Green, Eastleigh and Barrow who have wealthy owners, who sling money at their clubs to move up the pyramid. It's a depressing thought, but because of these features, it's fairly unlikely we'll return to the League at the first attempt, particularly with the team re-building required.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It's a depressing thought, but because of these features, it's fairly unlikely we'll return to the League at the first attempt
I hope you're wrong Boz but I can see what you're saying. On that note, there seems to be a lot of confident Rovers supporters who think we'll breeze it next year. I don't share their confidence, not yet anyway. Lot to happen in the next few months.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I understand Mills is going to be new manager. Darren caskey assistant. Will be announced later this week

frenchrover

Player
aldo
I'm sure you are right Sparky, the bookies reduced his odds on becoming Rovers next manager from Evens at 13.00pm to 1/4 On by 15.06pm.
Sounds like the interview went well ;)

M

Mal

What are the odds on him being sacked before 23 games have been completed .... LOL

M

Mal

To be serious, I hope we end up with a team of full time players for the most part with very few loanees. It would be good to get back to the 'old days' where you could almost name the team, give or take one or two changes because of injury.

Player
Manager
John King
Adams was a short-term 'firefighting' appointment which didn't work. I certainly agree that getting out of the Conference is a priority. However, look at the likes of Wrexham, Grimsby and Lincoln, established league sides who haven't bounced back after relegation. Or Luton, who despite being relegated due to a points deduction took an age to get back into the League. Then there are sides like Forest Green, Eastleigh and Barrow who have wealthy owners, who sling money at their clubs to move up the pyramid. It's a depressing thought, but because of these features, it's fairly unlikely we'll return to the League at the first attempt, particularly with the team re-building required.

I was not suggesting we need a 'firefighting' appointment, rather that we need a manager who understands the Conference. Edwards had a background in youth development but was not equipped for management.

I agree that it is unlikely we will bounce back at the first attempt; the last team to come straight back up as champions were Darlington in 1990. I just hope we are competitive and start winning games again.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I've been in touch with my York City supporting friend. She says Gary Mills would be a good appointment, although my Port Vale mate was wrong about Adams! Anyway, he worked miracles getting York out of the Conference via the play-offs, winning the FA Trophy the same season. Once in League 2, they went on a bad run and the board panicked and brought in the experienced Nigel Worthington, who kept them up. This season, they changed managers again for the same reason. It seems managers eventually pass their sell-by date in most jobs. Most are lucky to last three years. Rovers were unlucky enough to pick two managers with a short shelf life in the same season!

To quote my friend: "Gary did very well with Gateshead last season (play offs) and until recently they clearly had a good chance of finishing in the top 5 this time. They have had some success in cup competitions this season - something that does work to a lower team's disadvantage all too often.

So to summarise - in my own humble opinion:
A good, genuine, hardworking manager who will give 100% in terms of passion and commitment.
Can clearly manage on a very limited budget!!
Evidence suggests that he is good at motivating teams at Conference Level but needs a chance to prove himself at League 2 - but that is in the hands of any Board who need to hold their nerve when results don't go their way.

Mills has plenty of the right credentials to make it worth giving him a go. It isn't always the best thing to bring in someone with success at a much higher level. What Tranmere need is someone who can get them over the first hurdle and that is to get back into League. Mills has the right credentials to do this."

Player
Manager
John King
Thanks for the interesting summary BBTC. The fact we have (apparently) been able to poach him away from Wrexham at the eleventh hour says something positive about the stature of Rovers in the Conference and suggests our budget will be competitive for that level. We should not talk ourselves down too much.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I was not suggesting we need a 'firefighting' appointment, rather that we need a manager who understands the Conference. Edwards had a background in youth development but was not equipped for management.

I agree that it is unlikely we will bounce back at the first attempt; the last team to come straight back up as champions were Darlington in 1990. I just hope we are competitive and start winning games again.
Is it too much to ask, given that you accept it is unlikely that Rovers will bounce straight back, to appoint a manager who understands the Conference AND has a track record in youth development. I note BBTC's source makes no mention of Mills bringing players through the ranks, which accords with what I've heard about Gary Mills from York fans.

Player
Manager
John King
How many of those managers actually exist though ? Most non-league clubs don't have the money or infrastructure for serious youth development. If players of the ability of Taylor or Cresswell come through the ranks in the next couple of years they will play, but surely after two utterly disastrous seasons the short to medium term priority has to be an improvement in first team performance, regardless of where the players come from.

From what I have read Mills' teams do try and play football, which would be of some benefit to our younger players.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I'm not bothered either way whether our players come from Birkenhead or Botswana - getting back into the football league however we do it, is the top priority.

We would all love a team of Danny Holmes' but it isnt realistic - you look at someone like Stockton who has been around the first team for a few yrs now and has not made it through really. Some decent patches but losses of form and injuries have not helped. Kirby overall has not done much either. Max had a very good season overall but I'm assuming will be leaving.

As RLC hints if the likes of Gumbs, Duggan etc who people keep mentioning are good enough then all the better. But I am sure if you asked Palios he would say the priority is going up - whichever way it happens. With or without home grown talent.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Its irrelevant now - he's going to Wrexham having turned us down....

Player
Liam Palmer
Here we go again. I hope we're not in for another frustrating summer where we end up with our 10th choice manager, the kit man at Stalybridge Celtic or the likes.

Pity. Getting a new manager before Saturday might have given everyone a lift.

Does this mean Wrexham have more dosh than us...?