• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Forest Green v Rovers

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
We travel to Nailsworth on Saturday, as we renew acquaintances with our table-topping friends, Forest Green.

The hosts have started impressively under new manager Rob Edwards, and are currently the division's top scorers in addition to heading the table. Talented ex-Rover Kaine Wilson was a bit part player last season under Mark Cooper, but seems to be a key figure this time round, along with familiar names such as Jamille Matt and Nicky Cadden.

Micky has confirmed that Joe Murphy is still unavailable due to concussion, but I think Doohan would have started this game anyway following impressive performances in the last two matches. I think we will field an unchanged team, albeit with Morris and Foley asked to sit a bit deeper when we are out of possession to form an effective five man midfield. It is interesting that Micky mentioned Maynard scored two goals in a practice game this week, in addition to his goals against Leeds, and he seems to be in decent form if called upon.

I think this will be an entertaining affair and I am looking forward to it. We are in good shape at the moment, and I fancy us to get a result.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think we will revert to a back 3, this will be a very difficult game against a team that is flying, I would take a draw bit think they will win 2 0

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Like Mart I’d take a point and agree that Micky May revert back to 5 at the back. This will be possibly the biggest challenge our excellent in form defence will have faced so far.

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, with FGR playing a back three, Micky might want to match them up.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
As usual MM will adapt the team according to how the opposition's line up, tactics, shape and formation. I expect a change to a back five with one up top.
I would also take a draw, but this will probably end up as a home win!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I can't read Micky's mind, so I'm not going to try to suggest a team. I don't see any point in many changes, although Maynard has done little wrong since joining and may get a recall. How he would fit in with Nevitt, I don't know.

However, I'm upbeat after what is only our second spell of back-to-back wins since Sunderland. FGR are one of the best teams in League Two, but they have played a lot of poor sides and lost at home to Port Vale, so are not unbeatable. We are capable of frustrating this free-scoring side and if we can, we can grab a win.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I've been surprised that FGR have started so well, always a risk with a coach untried at this level, though their Rob Edwards has more of a football pedigree than his namesake who managed Rovers. They do have a proven striker in Jamille Matt, while Matt Stevens, who was out of favour under the previous management has come back in and bagged a few goals. There are a few names I recognise from the current squad, but a number are unfamiliar. It is still a relatively young side.

My inclination is also that Micky will revert to a back 3. There may be a need to shuffle the pack a bit elsewhere to give us fresh legs, though it would be a surprise to see many changes and wouldn't expect Maynard to start. Hard game to call, but not expecting us to keep a clean sheet.

Player
aldo
wonder if Dale Vince will lose his energy business was on TV last night moaning,it could affect them big time

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think we'll do OK here. They have been scoring a lot of goals but we have a mean defence so as long as we can keep it tight at the back, we have a chance and confidence should be up from the last two games.

Player
Manager
John King
I still think Micky might start with four at the back tomorrow. A crucial factor in last week's performance was the relationship in the wide areas between Cogley and MacManaman, and MacDonald and Hawkes, and we lose that if we play a back five.

I would worry that five at the back would invite FGR on to us, and we could get a repeat of the Rochdale game.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It could be argued that 5 at the back has helped us to get something from trips to Vale and Swindle, while if Macdonald remains fit, he is a better option on the left than Morris, who struggled with the defensive side of the wing-back role. I’m not keen on it for home games, for reasons illustrated by the first half v Hartlepool. It will be interesting to see how Micky sets us up.

ADD

Player
Norwood
I hope we stick with 4 at the back. As RLC says the return of MacDonald makes a massive difference to how MM can approach the game.
That said I think there is a good chance he will switch back to a back 5 - he hinted in his press conference he may do so in fact.
Going to be a good test this one - win this or even get a "good draw" by which I mean we play well and match them toe to toe and this bodes well for the next phase of the season.
Going with a 2-1 win... I know optimistic or what!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Interesting. That extends to the bench, so we're still without a sub keeper.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Sounds like the hosts started brighter and an early YC for Hawkes.