• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Forest Green v Rovers

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The best game I have seen this season between two good sides.

I thought both teams played enterprising, attacking football throughout and we clearly arrived with the intention of winning the game. There were countless efforts on goal, but perhaps only three or four clear opportunities for either side, so for all the attacking intent of both teams, perhaps not a total surprise that the game ended goalless.

FGR are clearly a decent side and asked a lot of questions of our defence with their rotation, and probing balls into the number ten position. However, we defended really solidly again and did not look particularly stretched at any stage of the game. A draw was a fair result and we did not look inferior in any respect.

I thought everybody contributed, but Kieron Morris was outstanding and was involved most of our best moves. Spearing was back to his best, and Foley was quietly efficient alongside him. The back four all played well and Doohan was very steady again. He did not have a huge amount to do, but his handling was good all afternoon, and he made two very good saves in the second half from nasty shots hit with pace from close range.

The one criticism would be that Nevitt was too isolated at times, but that was probably inevitable against strong opposition, with the midfield having to sit deep and protect in the periods when FGR were on top. We failed to score today, but I think a lot of that is down to the quality of the opposition, and the goals will come if we show the same intent against poorer teams.

I thought Kane Wilson was by far their best player, and was actually the key man in midfield for them, when he made his trademark runs inside off the line.

The second yellow card for MacDonald looked ridiculous: I think the referee made a rod for his own back with a spate of unnecessary bookings in the first half.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Can you throw any light on the subs, RLC? Could understand Nevitt being replaced by the more experienced Maynard, although Nicky didn't get much change out of their defence either and possibly Hawkes came off to protect him from a card-happy referee. However it seemed surprising that Morris, who was playing so well was brought off.

Player
Manager
John King
Can you throw any light on the subs, RLC? Could understand Nevitt being replaced by the more experienced Maynard, although Nicky didn't get much change out of their defence either and possibly Hawkes came off to protect him from a card-happy referee. However it seemed surprising that Morris, who was playing so well was brought off.
The subs made sense in the context of the game. Nevitt was tired and Maynard made some good runs when he came on. He has the potential to nick a late winner and I thought he would be used at some stage.

Watson for Morris was just tactical I think, to play Watson deeper and ensure we took a point.

Reactions: Boz

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Thanks RLC. I had a good feeling our defence would stand strong. The team is looking quite balanced now and this was a really good point against a free scoring FGR. I feel now if we can just get the attacking play right and get scoring some goals, we could see ourselves easily in the top six very soon. The last three games, albeit one was against kids, have been very promising.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
From following the game on BBC live text and reading the reports, I am pleased and relieved we got a point. I don't expect many more sides to get anything from The Lawn this season, although I hope they do so we have a chance of catching FGR!

The team is settling into some decent form and maybe Micky has found his favoured lineup and formation. The nice thing is that we can still play well in other formations and there are good players chomping at the bit even to get on the bench - Merrie and Walker.

It's been a strange season so far. We have lost twice to teams currently below us in the league, including Scunthorpe's only win of the season. However, against the four teams who have more points than us, we are undefeated. As it stands, we remain two points off the playoffs. Let's hope we can get back to winning ways with the visit of Crawley next Saturday.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Another joke of a decision sending MacDonald off. He was simply stretching for the ball in the middle of the park. Not sure he even catches their player. Possibly a foul but never a yellow.

Player
Manager
John King
Another joke of a decision sending MacDonald off. He was simply stretching for the ball in the middle of the park. Not sure he even catches their player. Possibly a foul but never a yellow.
We can't appeal this one unfortunately. I would just play Merrie at left back next week, so we don't have to change the shape of the team.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Absolutely ridiculous decision!

Reactions: Boz

ADD

Player
Norwood
Absolutely ridiculous decision!
Agreed - it was a foul he missed the ball but he was clearly going for it and whilst it was a bit high no way it was dangerous... a talking to would have sufficed but he was card happy all game in a game with very few bad fouls

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Very happy to get a draw away to a tough opponent in what sounded like an entertaining game.
The only real downside is we are on our worst away run in the league without scoring.

Two winnable home games coming up.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Overall I thought a very decent performance. We were the better side in the first half - them in the second even before the red card. Some great defending from the whole back 4 - Clarke's block was epic and Doohan did well. Very pleased that MM stayed with a back 4 - we are so much more enterprising that way. Main bugbear was Nevitt is so isolated - feel sorry for the lad but maybe that is a factor in playing away at the League leaders who are clearly a good side sadly! Also is Feeney really the best we can bring on in that situation? Does he ever beat the first man? Surprised Duffy did not come on.
Finally for them Kane Wilson was very good I thought - was surprised he did not move to a higher division but I guess he is being paid well by FGR...

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
ADD, some interesting points. I’d have hoped Walker might have been fit enough to make the bench and be an option to replace Hawkes. However in an away game, I feel Duffy’s apparent lack of a defensive side to his game will limit his opportunities, although his set pieces are better.

It seems that Kane Wilson is playing a more advanced role with FGR than during his loan spell with us and the attacking side of his game is strong. He also seems to have had bad luck with injuries which may have contributed to a reluctance from clubs at a higher level to take him on. Good business for Forest Green though.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
ADD, some interesting points. I’d have hoped Walker might have been fit enough to make the bench and be an option to replace Hawkes. However in an away game, I feel Duffy’s apparent lack of a defensive side to his game will limit his opportunities, although his set pieces are better.

It seems that Kane Wilson is playing a more advanced role with FGR than during his loan spell with us and the attacking side of his game is strong. He also seems to have had bad luck with injuries which may have contributed to a reluctance from clubs at a higher level to take him on. Good business for Forest Green though.
Wilson when he played for us looked good going forward but was a bit susceptible defensively. I think he may go to league 1 level but no further

Player
Manager
John King
I am not sure Wilson's role at FGR is very different to how he played with us. He is naturally a very attack minded player.

Feeney has been poor in the final third this season, but still has the ability to retain possession and move us up the pitch, something he did yesterday. In that respect, I think it was the right decision to bring him on rather than Duffy, as we had been under the cosh a bit prior to that change.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Wilson always impressed me but could never get a run in our side due to injuries.

like Boz I had hoped Walker would have been available yesterday. He’s been with us a few weeks now and had some COVID related issues previously but did start v Leeds I think. we have him for the season I think and hopefully he’ll feature soon as I’d prefer some younger legs on the bench instead of Duffy or feeney

Player
Manager
John King
we need to play Watson in a more advanced area to use his love of scoring goals and his assists
I am not so sure. Foley deserves to keep his place at the moment and is currently our top scorer. Watson has been given licence to get forward, but has not done enough in my view.

Last edited: