• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Dale v Rovers

Match result

• Rochdale

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dale v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Crown Oil Arena
Tuesday, April 18, 2023 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, April 18, 2023 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Rovers limp towards the finish line continues with an away trip to Rochdale tomorrow night. Former Morecambe manager Jim Bentley was sacked at the end of March and despite a 0-3 home defeat to Bradford on Saturday, before that they had a creditable draw at Mansfield and beat both Walsall and Wimbledon. Like Crawley this is likely to not be a pushover – that said even if Dale beat us they’ll still be at least 5 points from safety with 3 games left. I’m sure they’ll see tomorrow night more winnable than the Bradford game. The evergreen Iain Henderson is still capable of poaching a goal and Danny Lloyd has had a decent season.

As for us once again any changes will be limited due to the injuries we have. I’d like Turner Cooke to be given a start. He’s impressed me and if we have any chance of bringing him back next season, I’d give him a run of games. That of course may mean Hawkes is given a rest which can’t do any harm although he remains top scorer and probably our best penalty taker! I’m expecting Chalmers to be dropped and I’d give Hughes another game. Could Dawes even give Sam Taylor a start?

A win will see us remain in 11th but a defeat depending on other results could see us drop to 17th. Unlikely, as not all those teams close to us on points will win, but a possibility all the same.

Prediction: I was going to this but at £24 a ticket and with our poor form, will try to watch on ifollow. Whether Rochdale can motivate themselves as much as Crawley did remains to be seen. I’m going for a draw. What will be interesting is if we put in another poor performance, and result, then with travelling SWA numbers in much higher number than at Crawley, it could possibly be fairly toxic if things don’t go our way.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I don't know why clubs in this position don't offer cheap tickets to fill the ground a bit like Carlisle, albeit the other end of the scale and gets the fans behind them. They look destined for the drop so why not go out with a bang and give it all. If they do not know what is coming, they are in for a nasty shock down in the NL! Not that I want them to win of course..

Having said all that, I think they will win because we are just too meek and mild and are easy to beat right now. 2-0 Dale.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Wouldn't be surprised if Danny Lloyd scored in a 2 1 home win.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
We have only sold 300 tickets for this game, which is incredible really.

I think Rochdale are effectively relegated and their players will know it. It will be interesting to see how they react: will they relax and express themselves, or will there be an air of resignation in their performance ? We shall see.

I think we will make some changes after Saturday's display. Personally, I would drop Chalmers and play Hawkes wide in the front three, which is a more natural position for him, with Turner-Cooke played in a central role. Turner-Cooke has been one of the few bright sparks in recent weeks and deserves to be starting games now.

It is a shame Rochdale are going down. In recent years all three of the lower league clubs north of Manchester have either gone bust or fallen into non-league football, and the League loses some of its character as a result.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It is a shame Rochdale are going down. In recent years all three of the lower league clubs north of Manchester have either gone bust or falling into non-league football, and the League loses some of its character as a result.
Yes. It was not that long ago they were in league one playing the likes of Portsmouth, Sheff Wed and Ipswich. Soon they can look forward to playing teams such as Wealdstone, Dorking Wanderers and Solihull Moors :oops:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Wow 300 tickets. I knew numbers would be down but still expected several hundred to make the trip.

It is a shame they are likely going down. As we know it’s not that easy to get out of the national league and they’ve been a football league club for over 100 years.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Looks like relegation for Rochdale is inevitable, even if they win this match. I'd be sorry to see them go, nice ground traditional club, In the reverse fixture, a breakaway goal from veteran Henderson gave Dale the lead, only for Hemmings in one of his better games of the season to level, but they managed to come away with a point and didn't look like relegation material that night. Aside from Henderson, ex Rover Danny Lloyd, winger Odoh and full-back Mullarkey probably their key players.

Like Sparky, I was originally looking to go to this, but a combination of the £24 ticket price and general apathy have made me stay away and the low ticket sales reflect this in the SWA at large. Will catch on Ifollow.

With regard to team selection, as Rochdale aren't down yet, we have a responsibility to put out our strongest team and save any experiment for the next two which have nothing hanging on them. Would go with the formation RLC suggests as I agree Turner-Cooke deserves a start on form and Hawkes often chips in with a goal/assist, too valuable to discard, given current absentees.

Most likely another defeat but we may scrape a draw out of it somehow. Probably depends on how much fight the hosts show.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I don't think we should play Chalmers again, he's just not very good. Turner-Cooke is a good shout and at least has something about him.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
3-0 home win then we see the back of Daws and parky as we clear out the trash

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
I don't think we should play Chalmers again, he's just not very good. Turner-Cooke is a good shout and at least has something about him.
It was pretty clear to me that Mellon was picking Chalmers ahead of T-C because of the strategy. Chalmers is available. The fact Dawes is now doing so, despite all the evidence to the contrary, suggests to me that Palios implies a veto on selection. This raises some grim issues.
Do we really accept that Mellon thought Joe was inferior to Doohan. The fact Palios pulled an Arthur Daley here, doesn't take away from the fact, the team suffered and it may have been a false economy.
Secondly Mellon clearly attracted loan signings because he had 'cred' with the big boys. Newcastle having great hopes for T-C does not blend well with being behind Judith in a desperate side currently little above drop standards.
I now suspect Mellon bought one to save Palios's face. Not that there is any realistic chance of replacing Palios, I had hoped the younger Mrs P would step forward but she has now met the fans.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Five votes for Rochdale. No wonder we only sold 300 tickets!

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
I haven't voted yet!

Hoping again for at least a draw but I'm not convinced.!!!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It was pretty clear to me that Mellon was picking Chalmers ahead of T-C because of the strategy. Chalmers is available. The fact Dawes is now doing so, despite all the evidence to the contrary, suggests to me that Palios implies a veto on selection. This raises some grim issues.
Do we really accept that Mellon thought Joe was inferior to Doohan. The fact Palios pulled an Arthur Daley here, doesn't take away from the fact, the team suffered and it may have been a false economy.
Secondly Mellon clearly attracted loan signings because he had 'cred' with the big boys. Newcastle having great hopes for T-C does not blend well with being behind Judith in a desperate side currently little above drop standards.
I now suspect Mellon bought one to save Palios's face. Not that there is any realistic chance of replacing Palios, I had hoped the younger Mrs P would step forward but she has now met the fans.
In respect to the keepers point I don't think Micky felt there was much to choose between them. Murphy had a good start to last season, but after Joe was crocked by Clarke in the corresponding game last season, Doohan kept his place in the team for a good while even after Murphy was fit again. This season Doohan looked an improved player, Murphy involved in the coaching, so goalkeeping selection probably down to management preference rather than pressure from elsewhere.

Agree about Turner-Cooke. At one point it looked like we were buying Chalmers, but hopefully having seen him in action that plug will be pulled.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Given the general shambles and going through the motions around him I think Chalmers has done pretty well considering and at least is looking for a pass. T-C is also decent however. O'Connor is the one that has been really rubbish recently for me. Has been way off his previous standards

As to Doohan I think the opposite - I do think it was 100% MM who wanted Doohan retained in the side once he got his chance. MM remember when he first came on loan was raving about the guy. Now I know he is always going to praise a player we are bringing in but future Scotland keeper come on! He also in my view kept him in far too long last season and that was a part albeit not a critical part of our failures in the second half of last season

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Turner-Cooke and Hughes start. Chalmers presumably not fit enough to make a 5 man bench. Can we not put a couple of academy kids as subs to make up the numbers?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Turner-Cooke and Hughes start. Chalmers presumably not fit enough to make a 5 man bench. Can we not put a couple of academy kids as subs to make up the numbers?
If we get any more injuries or a red card it could get highly embarrassing

Reactions: Boz
Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
We only have the first team, so why have We only got 16 in squad for tonight's game?
The squad numbers go into the the thirties plus. What a mess!

It's just embarrassing!

Are we a football club or what?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We only have the first team, so why have We only got 16 in squad for tonight's game?
The squad numbers go into the the thirties plus. What a mess!

It's just embarrassing!

Are we a football club or what?
Around a dozen injured and a few youngsters out on loan