• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Cumbrians v Rovers

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Ohhh, great save by Doohan. Defence went asleep.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Brilliant play by Hawkes. Took on a few men, penalty.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Morris penalty saved, would've finished the game off.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Morris, poor pen.. stays 1-0.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I knew he would miss that penalty. His last one a few weeks ago only just sneaked in

ADD

Player
Norwood
Why did Morris take it for heaven's sake? Is he really our first choice penalty taker? Looked as if Spearing was going to take it initially....

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Let's hope it doesn't come back to bite us on the behind

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Another good win and I guess when you defend as well as we are, one goal is enough. Would have been nice to have got a second but we always looked comfortable against a toothless Carlisle. On to Harrogate on Tuesday who have today lost at Colchester

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Happy with the win, only 4 goals conceded of which 1 was a penalty that should never have been given. Look forward to reading match reports from those who went.

On to Harrogate on Tuesday, another win takes us into the top 3.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A win is a win, but still none of our players have scored away from home. Let’s hope one of them breaks the duck on Tuesday. That game will be a real test and our toughest game of the season so far. We will move into the autos if we win.

Tuesday is a massive day for us and our rivals. Six of the top seven are playing a promotion rival.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
A good result but Morris's penalty miss gave Carlisle a boost that could have seen them sneak a scruffy goal late on but for some death-defying blocks by our defence in the penalty area. Some great possessive football by the team today but we still lack the ability to score goals, with Nevitt working hard but lacking any meaningful support upfront. I think we will need to up our attacking game come Tuesday if we are to get anything from a Harrogate side who will be stinging after their last minute defeat at Colchester.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It sounds like a decent win, but never totally put the game to bed.

Sounds like Nevitt didn’t make the most of a good chance in the first half? His all round game is better than Dieseruvwe and he’s more likely to score, so until Micky decides it’s time to vary the lone striker approach Elliott starts.

While Morris’ missed penalty wasn’t fatal today, have to wonder if there aren’t better options for taking spot kicks going forward.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I thought Rovers looked excellent again today. Yes, there is still a lack of goals in the side but when we are this good defensively, it doesn't become as much of an issue. In all honesty, I think Clarke had an easy game today, he never needed to get out of first gear as Carlisle were poor and I think he is much better than league two standard even at the tender age of 39! Carlisle did have a spring in their step after the managers sacking but we were in control for most of the game and apart from two good saves Doohan had little to do.

Clarke was my MOTM, he was excellent but I thought Spearing and Foley also had very good games and controlled the game from midfield. They all played well, McDonald looked solid on the left, Hawkes was a constant threat and Nevitt although lacking goals put in maximum effort. His ball control is very good but he will always struggle to find goals in this system such is his style of play and the way Micky has them setup.

Slight nitpick, but they need to sort the penalty taker out. We could have put the game to bed early on but Morris' penalty was poor and I'm sure we have better penalty takers in the squad.

It's all very encouraging though. Now up to 4th and we are really clicking into gear. You can now see most of the additions we made over the summer have really improved the squad.

drwhoman

Good win even if goalscoring is hard for Rovers at present. Cannot argue with the league position though. BTW, Glatzel was back with the Liverpool Under 23s today, temporarily I assume. Scored one and assisted one in a 3-0 win against Arsenal.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Good win even if goalscoring is hard for Rovers at present. Cannot argue with the league position though. BTW, Glatzel was back with the Liverpool Under 23s today, temporarily I assume. Scored one and assisted one in a 3-0 win against Arsenal.
He is allowed play at that level whilst still with us

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree with most of Ian's excellent summary above.

I thought it was a very comfortable victory, despite the scoreline. The first twenty minutes were end to end, with Carlisle clearly benefitting from the 'dead cat bounce' and Clough causing us a few problems in the number ten position. However, we gradually got control of midfield and from about thirty minutes onwards we were dominant. Our football was imaginative and enterprising and a really noticeable feature of this side is our ability to play out from the back, even when under pressure. All of the back four are comfortable on the ball and it is rare that we simply punt a ball into the channel or down the line.

I think we deserved to win by a bigger scoreline and we were slightly unfortunate not to, with the disallowed goal and missed penalty. However, I agree with the comments above regarding Nevitt's limitations. There were several occasions today when Morris or Feeney produced a good cut back to the penalty spot, but Nevitt had not read the play and had run ahead of the ball. He also failed to get a good chance on target in the first half. However, it is difficult to criticise his all round contribution, and while the defence remains so strong we don't need to be prolific to win games.

Elsewhere, I thought everybody contributed. Spearing and Foley were solid and intelligent in their use of the ball, and Hawkes and MacManaman were confident and always willing to take responsibility. Morris grew into the game and provided the assist for the winning goal, but should not be taking penalties: I would like to see Nevitt take them. Doohan did not have a great deal to do, but produced an outstanding save with his feet when we switched off just after scoring.

However, my collective man of the match would be the back four, who were superb with and without the ball all afternoon.

Reactions: Ian

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Doohan is really growing into being the number one which is a positive. You can see why Celtic rate him. Can we send glatzel back now? Really isn’t required