• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Crewe (2) v Rovers (0)

Match result

• Crewe

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Rovers

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Crewe (2) v Rovers (0)
Posted by Ian
The Mornflake Stadium
Saturday, October 14, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, October 14, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Well after the initial honeymoon period Rovers have not picked up a win this week after drawing 2-2 with Grimsby and losing 1-0 to Leicester U21 in the EFL Trophy. I'd love to say Rovers were confident going into this one but we are away from home and that is a problem in itself with Rovers struggling for a win on their travels.

The good news is that's it's a local one and the SWA will be out in force but can we rely on the players to put in a good performance?

There are serious question marks over the team and tactics with Adkins persisting with the 433 meaning players such as Dennis are being frozen out of games. No doubt he will stick to the same again and as RLC mentioned last night, I don't think there were many banging on the door after last nights loss.

Crewe are enjoying a good run this season. They find themselves 6th in the league with 5 wins, 5 draws and only 2 losses, 10 points ahead of Rovers with a quarter of the season already gone. Depsite their latest loss at home to Wrexham in the EFL Trophy, their league home form has been excellent coupled with our horrendous away form, I really don't think we're going to take anything from this game.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Next up we have a trip to Gresty Road and despite a hefty £27 per adult cost we’ve sold close to 1,000 tickets in total. All the more surprising given the hosts being the leagues top scorers, and our away record this season being awful (well since Feb actually). The bookies will see this as a home banker given the form of both sides but hopefully we can upset the odds. I’ll be making the trip and did the same last season on 1st Jan when optimism for 2023 was quickly put out with a 1-0 defeat – a long range effort looping over Doohan and Nevitt missing a good chance being key moments. Neither player with us now of course and Nevitt who didn’t score in his first 30 or so Crewe appearances, has been in half decent form this season despite being on the bench a lot. Elliot has 4 league goals with Baker-Richardson having 5 and ex Everton youngster Chris Long with 6. Even centre half and former Newport man Demetriou has 4 goals. Alex sit 5th in the league with 5 wins, 5 draws and a couple of defeats and their home record is good – 4 wins and 2 defeats from 6 games. 15 goals scored in those too.

As for us I don’t think many on Tuesday night covered themselves in glory. Apter looked lively but whether he’ll be ahead of Hawkes or Saunders, especially away from home, I’m not sure. Dennis has had the central striker role for a couple of games and although has worked hard it just doesn’t suit him. Again being away from home I’d expect Jolley to come back in to try and hold the ball up. In midfield Walker played the full 90 on Tuesday – whether he can cope with that again on Saturday remains to be seen but if so I would start him in a defensive midfield role. The question then is who do you leave out of the midfield 3? Morris has 2 goals in 2 games, you can’t drop Connor and Hendry is good on his day. For me I would leave Hendry out this time as we’re on our travels and we’ll need Brad’s strength plus the goal threat of the other two. If Walker isn’t fit then perhaps LOC in midfield and Starbuck at RB. As for the back four unless perhaps Pike is fit it’ll be the same again. Turnbull still suspended and no other centre backs a viable option. A shame as I’m still not convinced by Yarney or Wood defensively. Davies way off the player he was when alongside Peter Clarke.

Prediction: They’ll be right at us from the start and with our leaky defence and formation, unless Nigel makes some significant changes I fear we’ll concede early and it’ll be downhill from there. Whereas if we keep it tight early doors and frustrate the, perhaps we could get something from the game.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
If we continue to play 433 we will most probably lose. It has not worked that well, it certainly isnt working away from home where we have been shipping goals at an alarming rate. If you keep doing the same things, you will keep getting the same results. We need a change for this game but can't see it happening. Enjoy the match @Sparky of course I do hope I'm wrong.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Agree with Ian, we will stick with 4 3 3 and lose again possibly 3 1.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Our away form is terrible and our recent league form at Crewe is dire. The only thing that would make a home win more likely is my attendance at Gresty Road :(Don't worry on the last count, as not going, although suspect Rovers will still struggle.

I'm firmly of the view that our defence isn't that poor, but has suffered from a lack of protection further up the park. None of the back four are in great form, but I don't think Tom Davies has waned drastically since when he was paired alongside a jaded Peter Clarke, due to an absence of defensive options. I will agree with Sparky that we need a defensive midfielder, would be surprised if it was Walker after he played the full game in midweek, so unless Merrie is deemed fully fit that suggests O'Connor with either Starbuck or Pike at right-back. Up front, there seems little merit in playing Dennis in a three and I assume Luke Norris remains unfit, so probably Hawkes Jolley and Saunders.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
The use of the word 'Our' is a bit dubious. Nigel has certainly changed things at least you can see what he is trying to achieve and with the revolving doors of squads now previous Crewe matches won't have seen many of Saturday's combatants.
I agree the defence is fine but it no longer has Mellon's deep lying double guard which of course undermined attacking options somewhat. Turnbull is must to come back after this, his left peg is essential in getting the left flank moving. Wood seems worth persisting with.
Question is did Nigel reduce playing time on players for Saturday or maybe ones he has seen enough of? Can't see any value in Lewis, McAlear or Hughes and frankly can't see an upside to Saunders.
At the spearhead Dennis has downsides that are different to Jolley, but possibly quite equal. Taylor must come back. If there is confidence in a right back option, LOC to the guard with Jennings and Morris could be very good. Hendry gets about more than anyone and is worth a decent run as a sub.
Hawkes still drifts into his unthinking self at times, maybe a subbing might focus his mind.
Apter looked like his pace but only out wide might be an asset and Starbuck looked solid. Thought Norris minor was very poor for a 20 year LFC player, almost laughable really.
Draw would be great

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Boz, I’ve come to the conclusion that our team doesn’t need your presence to play badly away from home. They are perfectly capable of underperforming without you in attendance. ;)

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
How come, ever one of us has different solutions and selection for this Saturday?
I thought the temporary appointment of our coach, would create calm and steady the ship!I
But it seems the supporters are at odds at who plays where and not confident no matter who p!ays, we won't get a result.
The system we use, the shape, the tactics, has been similar all season with a few tweaks, a bit of improvement, but we are far from out of the woods
It is already a long season and of course we need points. Home form is not bad, we need to pick up points on our travels, otherwise. Well!!!!!
Let's get to Crewe, we all have happy memories there. Let's make sure, we remember this time as something special!

Could we?
Yes!

Convinced?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Let's get to Crewe, we all have happy memories there.
I don't remember a single one!

Rovers league record at Gresty Road:

1st Jan 2023: Crewe 1 - 0 Rovers
17 Nov 2018: Crewe 3 - 2 Rovers
17 Aug 2013: Crewe 2 - 1 Rovers
8 Sept 2012: Crewe 0 - 0 Rovers
31 Jan 2009: Crewe 2 - 1 Rovers
1 Jan 2008: Crewe 4 - 3 Rovers
28 Apr 2007: Crewe 1 - 1 Rovers
21 Sep 2002: Crewe 2 - 0 Rovers
3 Mar 2001: Crewe 3 - 1 Rovers

We have to go all the back to 1999 to record our last win there. Some of us were only spring chickens then! :lol: :laugh:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
DB, I am finding your negativity about Harvey Saunders baffling. We don't have many players with pace in the current squad HS aside. Apter is the other, but when he came on at Grimsby, Rob was marshalled into dead ends and unable to turn it to our advantage. Saunders makes things happen by running at opponents, he's earned us a few penalties and a number of free-kicks by that approach. Take a look at our opening goal v Grimsby, when Harvey set up with a ball over the top for Morris to run onto. Sure, he's unlikely to be a prolific scorer, but he gives us variety and energy, this squad would be poorer without him.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I'm firmly of the view that our defence isn't that poor, but has suffered from a lack of protection further up the park. None of the back four are in great form, but I don't think Tom Davies has waned drastically since when he was paired alongside a jaded Peter Clarke, due to an absence of defensive options.
Yes, I agree.

I like Adkins, but I think the way we have set up away from home has been quite naive to be honest. I think we have been too adventurous in the early stages of away games, the gap between defence and midfield has been too big, we have conceded too much space in the wide areas and we have not used an orthodox defensive midfielder. The options are limited in that regard, but sooner or later I think we have to return O'Connor to midifield to protect the back four.

I don't think we will pick up points away from home until we adopt a more cautious, pragmatic approach and try to stifle the opposition.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
DB, I am finding your negativity about Harvey Saunders baffling. We don't have many players with pace in the current squad HS aside. Apter is the other, but when he came on at Grimsby, Rob was marshalled into dead ends and unable to turn it to our advantage. Saunders makes things happen by running at opponents, he's earned us a few penalties and a number of free-kicks by that approach. Take a look at our opening goal v Grimsby, when Harvey set up with a ball over the top for Morris to run onto. Sure, he's unlikely to be a prolific scorer, but he gives us variety and energy, this squad would be poorer without him.
On the basis of the three when attacking, his lack of poise in front of goal puts him behind Jolley and Dennis who look natural scorers, so out of that bracket. His work out wide on the right may have pace but no end result, Taylor may not have the speed but can go past players with ease. Hawkes is developing still has annoying habits but does score stepping inside.
Bottom line Saunders is like Nevitt they both lose their balance and body shape when they go for a shot. I see them both as non-league players going forward. His ball to Morris was excellent, first we have ever seen of it and from a position he rarely occupies. File with Jim Steel's long range volleys

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Yes, I agree.

I like Adkins, but I think the way we have set up away from home has been quite naive to be honest. I think we have been too adventurous in the early stages of away games, the gap between defence and midfield has been too big, we have conceded too much space in the wide areas and we have not used an orthodox defensive midfielder. The options are limited in that regard, but sooner or later I think we have to return O'Connor to midifield to protect the back four.

I don't think we will pick up points away from home until we adopt a more cautious, pragmatic approach and try to stifle the opposition.
He's only had two games the periods you identify were by far the best?
LOC to me is a good full back but as a guard has a bit of star quality.
McAlear is now injured as is the banned Turnbull. So possibly down to a Walker/Hendry Saunders/Taylor Jolley/Dennis scenario? Rabbits out of hats can't be ruled out, I'd suspect Starbuck and Apter maybe making cases

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
I don't remember a single one!

Rovers league record at Gresty Road:

1st Jan 2023: Crewe 1 - 0 Rovers
17 Nov 2018: Crewe 3 - 2 Rovers
17 Aug 2013: Crewe 2 - 1 Rovers
8 Sept 2012: Crewe 0 - 0 Rovers
31 Jan 2009: Crewe 2 - 1 Rovers
1 Jan 2008: Crewe 4 - 3 Rovers
28 Apr 2007: Crewe 1 - 1 Rovers
21 Sep 2002: Crewe 2 - 0 Rovers
3 Mar 2001: Crewe 3 - 1 Rovers

We have to go all the back to 1999 to record our last win there. Some of us were only spring chickens then! :lol: :laugh:
Sorry @Ian ,
I should have said, enjoyed the experience of going to Crewe, not the footie obviously!!;):rolleyes:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Dennis benched for Jolley who plays alongside Saunders. Usual suspects in defence and midfield.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
If i was Dennis I would be wanting away in jan its a p take you gotta think for all Saunders running he has not got a goal in him he is worse than Norwood used to be 1 on 1 and charlie is hit and miss

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
If i was Dennis I would be wanting away in jan its a p take you gotta think for all Saunders running he has not got a goal in him he is worse than Norwood used to be 1 on 1 and charlie is hit and miss
But you wouldn't play him in Saunders' wide role would you? Him and Jolley share a place which neither is convincing at

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Early warning signs as Crewe surge forward. Tracey running past a few Rovers defenders, hit it across goal, cleared for a corner which comes to nothing.